You'll feel your head toss. Aviator GT Reviews

Well, as the reviews come in I think the GT will be something special. However, I'm always amazed at reviews and how they differ from one reviewer to another. Motortrend seemed to praise it. Autoblog basically turned the strengths that Motortrend pointed out into weakness. What does it mean? nothing. Just that you should drive it for yourself before forming an opinion.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite quotes from GT First Drive reviews:

"This is not the Lincoln for hypermilers but is in fact the new hot rod Lincoln." (Forbes)

"Lincoln takes a bold step toward becoming the American brand for high-performance luxury vehicles with the 2020 Aviator Grand Touring SUV, a green beast that combines more torque than a twin-turbo Mercedes AMG GLS 63 or Porsche Cayenne turbo with the ability to do much of your daily driving on battery power alone. And Lincoln does it all for around half the price of Porsche and Mercedes’s super SUVs." (Detroit Free Press)

"This thing hauls when you need it to with a much stronger, smooth pull off the line. The hybrid system's electric boost also works to smooth out the V6's torque curve across the board, improving tip-in responsiveness and smoothing out the power dip during shifts. So small speed changes -- a little surge of acceleration for a pass or a squirt of power for a merge -- feel much more immediate and effortless." (CNET)

"Remember the old adage, “There's no replacement for displacement”? Turns out it's B.S., a silly phrase destined for the ash heap of the English language, like 'safe cigarettes.' ... This is the hot model, the speedy one. Sixty years ago, the Grand Touring would have carried the biggest V8 Ford Motor Company had in its arsenal. Today, it uses a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 alongside a 75-kilowatt electric motor (and a 13.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack) to produce 494 horsepower and 630 pound-feet of torque." (Motor1)

"The electric motor provides 221 lb-ft of torque at zero rpm, and you’ll notice it from the very first throttle tip-in, which feels Ludicrous Mode-like in its urgency." (Automobile Magazine)

35 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

I don’t understand how some of the reviews are so different. This goes for the regular Aviator as well. 

Because you're reading personal opinions.  That's the reason I stopped reading reviews.  When it comes to buying a vehicle, the only personal opinion I care about is mine, not what some internet writer thinks.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

I don’t understand how some of the reviews are so different. This goes for the regular Aviator as well. 

They are not based on facts.  They all agree on the HP and Torque, yet not one of the testers was dyno'd.  Are they sure?  They are all over the place when it comes to steering, handling, seat comfort and more, they are just a persons opinion.  Read the reviews for entertainment value, that's all they are.  I gave my opinion of driving one, it's worth as much credibility as anyone of the writers, its just my opinion.  Some of those guys talked about how much better the Audi is, I drive a 2018 several days a week.  I prefer the Aviator, just my taste.  

• Like 2

I agree that you’ll have some difference of opinion, but with the Aviator it seems so different. I too really don’t care what a reviewer has to say as I’ll be the judge if I like a car; they show some insights but at the end of the day I take their words with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wheeling said:

I  think some of them are biased cause they are shocked that Lincoln produced such a nice ride! They just can't simply believe it. Imagine if an Audi has such power and a 30 way seat. 

They have the power, just not in the Q line.  If they made a seat like the 30 way, adaptive steering, nice heads up display I'd seriously consider them.  I really like the google satellite map and the option to use a long range map on the display and a just ahead map in the dash.  They would have to get rid of that touch/write pad though...definitely not a fan.

From the Ward's article:

At the opposite extreme, in EV mode the Aviator is a plodder. While the electric motor can propel the vehicle to highway speed, it’s a slow process to gain that kind of momentum rather than the instant-on torque we’ve come to expect from high-voltage EVs.

As a result, the EV mode is best suited for around-town, lower-speed (think school zone to 45 mph [72 km/h]) operation rather than open-highway driving.

And from the Forbes article:

The Aviator has a range of drive modes available including conserve (aka eco), excite (sport), normal, slippery and deep conditions that make adjustments to throttle, steering, shift points and slip thresholds for the stability control. The Grand Touring adds two extra modes, Pure EV and Preserve EV. Pure forces the powertrain into electric-only mode which is handy for cruising through the neighborhood or for short commutes in the city. With only 100-hp on tap from the motor, acceleration is considerably less lively than in other modes, but it is adequate.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1