Full synthetic oil change

So, at 35K miles, my "oil change" reminder light popped on. Ok, no issue...dealership is right around the corner, I'll call and see what kind of promotions are running...none, if you want full synthectic oil...they quoted me $80 for a oil/filter change. I also asked what the price was for a transaxle drain and fill since I read where these 6 speeds do much better with proper change intervals and since we are at 35K, now seems like a good time, price? Quoted me at $100 for an hour of labor and $30-$40 for the Mercon LV fluid.....??

So, instead I go on line and get six quarts of Mobil 1 from my local Advance Auto with a Purolator Pure 1 filter for $33.95, four quarts of Motorcraft Mercon LV at $7.49 a quart. An hour and a half later on a lazy Saturday afternoon since I am taking my time and watching a video on youtube to make sure I get the transaxle level correct (no dipstick) and I am all set and on my way. AND, Mobil is running a rebate on Mobil 1 so I am getting $12 dollars back ? ? ?  winner winner, chicken dinner!!

I can remember when it was actually cheaper to do a "Works" oil change package than go to the store and buy it, but apparently not any more...

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

After many years of being an "oil snob", and only using Mobil 1, I have switched Motorcraft semi-synthetic and Motorcraft filters, both available at Walmart.  I know the next time I change the oil on my '98 E150, it will get Walmart SuperTech "dino" oil !

FYI, Mercon LV is $6/quart on Amazon if you but a case of 12.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

After many years of being an "oil snob", and only using Mobil 1, I have switched Motorcraft semi-synthetic and Motorcraft filters, both available at Walmart.  I know the next time I change the oil on my '98 E150, it will get Walmart SuperTech "dino" oil !

FYI, Mercon LV is $6/quart on Amazon if you but a case of 12.

Wiz, the only reason I went with Mobil 1 was the rebate and the deal Advance was running on the 5+ quart bottle with the Purolator Pure 1 filter. As for the Mercon LV, I only needed 4 quarts so couldn't justify buying 12 just to set it on the shelf. I like Motorcraft Oil but will by the full snythetic for my 2.3L Ecoboost.

I didn't "post" my other repair, the 1995 F150 starter solenoid went bad (bought a BWD at Advance Auto, it didn't last 2 years) so I went to the local NAPA and got a NAPA Echlin solenoid, fixed it in about 10 minutes...advance only sells the BWD and Driveworks brand so...Hard No on that.

I hate Walmart, so that is out....lol.

I would always use a 100% synthetic in a turbocharged direct injection engine. The engines in MKC are 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboost. They are known for building up carbon deposits on the intake valves. There are many schools of thought about what causes it and how to prevent it, but related to oil; Changing the oil every 5K and using a full synthetic will help prevent some of the intakes deposits.  Clean oil is less likely to vaporize and go thru the PVC system, then gets stuck on the intake valves. A catch can will also help. I always change my own oil because I know it is done right.

My 2 cents

Sanman

55 minutes ago, sanman68 said:

I would always use a 100% synthetic in a turbocharged direct injection engine. The engines in MKC are 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboost. They are known for building up carbon deposits on the intake valves. There are many schools of thought about what causes it and how to prevent it, but related to oil; Changing the oil every 5K and using a full synthetic will help prevent some of the intakes deposits.  Clean oil is less likely to vaporize and go thru the PVC system, then gets stuck on the intake valves. A catch can will also help. I always change my own oil because I know it is done right.

My 2 cents

Sanman

Image result for Capt Obvious

Edited by twintornados