4.8 V8 for the '21MY F150?

Could this simply be a misread of  upgrades to F150 Coyote that align it more closely with the Mustang version?

things like PFDI and higher compression are essential  for increasing torque and precise mixture control under load

and fine tuning those elements to work under sustained load could be the key to the V8 making a come back..

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

The 2018/19 Coyote in the F-150 certainly makes impressive power but there are times when the damn thing sounds more like a freaking diesel. Usually when cold but not always. Not very confidence inspiring and not very impressive to anyone within hearing distance which is about thirty feet. How any manufacturer can call something like that "acceptable" or "normal" in this day and age is beyond belief. 

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-5-0l-engine-rattle-noise-deceleration-acceleration-tsb-18-2354-a-432813/index138/

58 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Don't count on that.....

When i say come back, I didn't mean that literally, just simply to stabilize numbers where they are now.

Ecoboost tend to be thirstier than the 5.0 v8 when towing, especially when asked to hustle along at 70 mph.

9 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

When i say come back, I didn't mean that literally, just simply to stabilize numbers where they are now.

Ecoboost tend to be thirstier than the 5.0 v8 when towing, especially when asked to hustle along at 70 mph.

But the ecoboost has no problem keeping 70mph. 

2 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Why would they "shrink" the 5.0L ?  Making the 5.0L engine block with the same bore spacing as the old 4.6L, was a strategic MARKETING move !

They still need the 5.0 litre V8 at that size for people who like to tow with more efficiency than EB V6s,

that little bit of extra capacity makes a difference with mixture strength when towing.

It's strange but more engine capacity makes for efficient towing but acts directly against cruise efficiency and good EPA numbers.

2 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

But the ecoboost has no problem keeping 70mph. 

That wasn't the point i was making....

F150, towing 7,000 lb trailer @ 70 mph

2.7 EB...8.7 mpg

3.5 EB...9.1 mpg

5.0 V8.....10.1 mpg

F250 6.2 V8 ...12,500 lbs....8.6 mpg....

I have to believe that the 6.2 V8 engine would be much better on gas when towing 9,000 lbs and 7,000 lbs

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

That wasn't the point i was making....

Point I was making is more power means more fuel. However, yes, it’s been said 5.0 is more fuel efficient when towing. My experience towing the same trailer between my 3.5 and a co workers 5.0. It was a dead heat on the Fuel economy. That said, it wasn’t a scientific calculated test. He used the trailer, which is an enclosed car trailer, then I used it. Our fuel consumption was extremely similar. But I can see when pulling hills for long periods could separate the two. 

8 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Point I was making is more power means more fuel. However, yes, it’s been said 5.0 is more fuel efficient when towing. My experience towing the same trailer between my 3.5 and a co workers 5.0. It was a dead heat on the Fuel economy. That said, it wasn’t a scientific calculated test. He used the trailer, which is an enclosed car trailer, then I used it. Our fuel consumption was extremely similar. But I can see when pulling hills for long periods could separate the two. 

How much load though? 

The best you can hope for is the same, anytime you press deeper into the throttle with an EB, it goes rich,

the lighter the load, the less that happens. Think about it, it's the diametric opposite to what a Super Duty

needs to maintain efficiency when loaded. As with everything in life, there's always a compromise.

On topic, I just can't see a reason for Ford fiddling with engine capacity in F150,

it just doesn't make sense unless they really believe there decent mpg gains.....

Edited by jpd80

7 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I'm wondering if this will be the engine used for a hybrid v8.

That would make the most sense-but the real question is will it be shared with the Mustang if they went that route?

The 10 Speed Auto Hybrid looks to be geared towards more performance then eco savings though. 

IMO, Ford should just prove to the marketplace how committed it is to the small-displacement/EB business model, and eliminate ALL V-8's from the F-150 & Mustang product lines.

Then, when the stock price drops down into the $4's or $5's, I can buy a bunch and be well positioned for when they regain their senses, and offer customers a wider range of powertrain offerings.

HRG

1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

IMO, Ford should just prove to the marketplace how committed it is to the small-displacement/EB business model, and eliminate ALL V-8's from the F-150 & Mustang product lines.

But yet the market is showing that better then 60% of F-150 sales are Ecoboost and Mustang Ecoboost are at 50% vs 2 V8 offerings. 

Wider range? They already offer an as wide or wider than the competition. And there's a hybrid and all electric in the near future.

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well. There are a number of people who feel that EB's are the best available option, I'm not one of them. I have (2) Fords in the garage, a '18 Escape SEL AWD, and a '19 Edge SEL AWD, BOTH had no choice but an EB powertrain.

I'm a gambler, so my point above was, let's offer Mustangs and F-150's with ONLY EB's, and see what the sales numbers become. 

Just trying to interject that choice is good, but unfortunately, certain products have very limited powertrain choices.

HRG

• Like 1

Leftlanenews reporting on the Ford Authority report!

https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-f-150-to-ditch-5-0-v8-for-next-generation/

Personally, if Ford deviate from the 5.0 capacity, I'd rather they upped it to the 5.2!!    (a normally aspirated version of the cross plane crank is already available as a crate engine called the Aluminator XS)

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

it just doesn't make sense unless they really believe there decent mpg gains.....

What people think is decent vs what CAFE does are two totally different things. 2-3 MPG could be nothing to buyers but in CAFE 2-3 MPG could be being compliant or a tens of million dollar fine/credit purchase.

6 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Why would they "shrink" the 5.0L ?  Making the 5.0L engine block with the same bore spacing as the old 4.6L, was a strategic MARKETING move !

A marketing move for Mustang...

Most F-150 buyers were fine with 4.6... if anything, the nostalgia is for the 351 more than 5.0

9 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I thought keeping the bore spacing the same was a cost cutting move... to reuse the tooling.

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

What people think is decent vs what CAFE does are two totally different things. 2-3 MPG could be nothing to buyers but in CAFE 2-3 MPG could be being compliant or a tens of million dollar fine/credit purchase.

The 5.0 V8 is still well above the individual CAFE limit for F150's "footprint", there's no urgent need to change anything.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1