Build quality worries

jfischetti

I've been watching A LOT of videos on the Aviator as i watch my built car sit on the lot in Chicago everyday.  I've noticed some questionable things in those videos, but none as egregious as this build quality issue.  How can they let these two panels leave the factory this unaligned?

This can be noticed in a dealer-made video at 1:14.IMG_4924.thumb.jpeg.0a608bcfa2b35dbe61a8cdf636dfbc35.jpeg

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's likely a preproduction unit, which sometimes have issues like that. That's why that phase of production exists, to fix those issues.

There is a tight range of tolerances for panel fits, I have 100% confidence that would have been addressed before full production began. 

Say's the guy who's damn happy he didn't hang those doors,,,,,

HRG

2 hours ago, Wheeling said:

That is a pity. There is also a video sometimes ago  showing a speaker cover falling off the ceiling. 

I have noticed those roof liner grilles not fitting well in videos, but I ordered the 14-speaker system, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

41 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

I have noticed those roof liner grilles not fitting well in videos, but I ordered the 14-speaker system, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

The early build I had only had the issue with the sunglass case, the alignment and other issues were moot.  I would imagine QC catches most, but do realize these go through some serious torque on carriers and trains.  That's why the dealer is supposed to fix these issues during PDI.  All 28 grills were in place and flush.. 

• Like 1

If mine comes with imperfections I’ll be pissed, but I’m sure everything has been sorted out by now. My Continental BL has to be a one of one, though, the center console(I have the Chalet) is black and it should be white. Not sure how that made it past QC. 

When I picked up my current MKZ, I actually had to 'click' 5 different interior parts/panels into position. I know that the MKZ is built in Mexico and the Aviator should have a better quality control, but still...I thought I was driving a BL??

Edited by EcoBoost

I’ve been keenly looking at the videos as well. Common among most posted to date are ill-fitting roof speaker grilles and weird ‘tufting’ on the outer bolster of the drivers seat. Also on the Autovlog review there was just a terrible upper interior b-pillar fit. Egregiously bad!

I’m nervous as well as my second 2016 MKX, a custom order, came with a half-dozen glaring fit/finish issues. $70,000 vehicle to boot.  Still leaks motor oil!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Professor1234 said:

I’ve been keenly looking at the videos as well. Common among most posted to date are ill-fitting roof speaker grilles and weird ‘tufting’ on the outer bolster of the drivers seat. Also on the Autovlog review there was just a terrible upper interior b-pillar fit.

Hhaha..funny you mention that. If you are referring to a youtube-video, I was actually the one commenting on it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, EcoBoost said:

When I picked up my current MKZ, I actually had to 'click' 5 different interior parts/panels into position. I know that the MKZ is built in Mexico and the Aviator should have a better quality control, but still...I thought I was driving a BL??

This is just an observation and not an opinion... I love Honda quality when it comes to powersports and outdoor power equipment and I've had two Honda cars in the past.  But I'm a Ford guy who's had a bunch of them over there years and with five currently in the stable.  That said, our 2010 Fusion Hybrid made in Mexico had the best build quality inside and out of any vehicle we've ever owned.  Zero build issues... better than "Japanese" build quality. 

19 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I have second thoughts ABOUT the article, being in the Detroit Free-loader Press

the article is actually being generous about the issues, there are issues not mysterious just stubborn management don't listen to veteran employees, we called out the issues in May they ignored until it became a headline.

6 month retooling done in 30 days new equipment into a 100 yr old plant, low moral during contract negotiations, I can provide a book of excuses as to way the quality isn't there. A nice new shinny contract will do wonders to moral  and help put the quality back into the products we build. Delaying and extending only gives workers more time to stew in the headlines of scandals dragging moral down even further along with the quality of the product. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I have second thoughts ABOUT the article, being in the Detroit Free-loader Press

It was written by Free Press newcomer, Phoebe Wall Howard, who admitted in her first column she knows nothing about cars or the industry.  I'm surprised at her naiveté.  She seems shocked that car manufacturers often have start-up problems.  Not to excuse Ford, but stuff like this does happen,  Witness last year's difficult launch of the new Ram.  It was rumored it cost FCA over $300 million to address launch quality issues.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, Bellanca said:

If mine comes with imperfections I’ll be pissed, but I’m sure everything has been sorted out by now. My Continental BL has to be a one of one, though, the center console(I have the Chalet) is black and it should be white. Not sure how that made it past QC. 

Oh man @Bellanca, came across this post from a few weeks ago.  Seems like unfortunate foreshadowing re: your paint needs.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, mackinaw said:

It was written by Free Press newcomer, Phoebe Wall Howard, who admitted in her first column she knows nothing about cars or the industry.  I'm surprised at her naiveté.  She seems shocked that car manufacturers often have start-up problems.  Not to excuse Ford, but stuff like this does happen,  Witness last year's difficult launch of the new Ram.  It was rumored it cost FCA over $300 million to address launch quality issues.

I was exchanging emails all day Friday, and then over the weekend, with Ms. Howard. She has a lot of sources inside Ford that are anonymously feeding her information. She's not that naive - it isn't just that there are new model birthing pains. It's Ford having so many repairs, that CAP can't handle them - physically running out of space. Even I'm shocked at how many problems they're having with the Explorer and Aviator. I've had three products, over the years, built at CAP, two of them first year models, and even with first model year blues, it was nothing like this.