Build quality worries

jfischetti

28 minutes ago, Len_A said:

I was exchanging emails all day Friday, and then over the weekend, with Ms. Howard. She has a lot of sources inside Ford that are anonymously feeding her information. She's not that naive - it isn't just that there are new model birthing pains. It's Ford having so many repairs, that CAP can't handle them - physically running out of space. Even I'm shocked at how many problems they're having with the Explorer and Aviator. I've had three products, over the years, built at CAP, two of them first year models, and even with first model year blues, it was nothing like this. 

Same thing happened with 2013 Fusion/MKZ.  They were shipping them to Flat Rock for headlamp replacement and shipping them back to Mexico.

A few months ago they were parking mustangs all over Flat Rock waiting on steering wheels.  

It's a CF and not the first but as long as they get it sorted out within the next few weeks it will be forgotten.

• Like 1

I am cautiously optimistic; I want this car so badly but I don’t think I’d want to reorder one if mine has issues. My sister said they don’t think it’ll take two weeks for all of the fixes to be completed. I’ve waited this long so I’ll at least wait until mine is ready; but if it has imperfections I guess I’ll be going back to JLR. 

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

I am cautiously optimistic; I want this car so badly but I don’t think I’d want to reorder one if mine has issues. My sister said they don’t think it’ll take two weeks for all of the fixes to be completed. I’ve waited this long so I’ll at least wait until mine is ready; but if it has imperfections I guess I’ll be going back to JLR. 

Your scenario is my nightmare (first world one, though) but I’ve already decided to move on if mine isn’t perfect. As I’ve said, my custom MKX was a disappointment quality-wise and a repeat is unwelcome.

MY plan b is a new X5 but the V8 version.  It is considerably more expensive than a fully loaded Aviator however.

1 hour ago, Professor1234 said:

Your scenario is my nightmare (first world one, though) but I’ve already decided to move on if mine isn’t perfect. As I’ve said, my custom MKX was a disappointment quality-wise and a repeat is unwelcome.

MY plan b is a new X5 but the V8 version.  It is considerably more expensive than a fully loaded Aviator however.

I’m starting to look for Velars now in case mine has issues but fingers crossed everything is resolved; we’ll see. 

1 minute ago, mustangchief said:

I own my first and last BMW.  Nice car for around town, but if you are going over 50 miles, it gets to be uncomfortable.  My wifes Audi is the same way.

I like my 2008 Audi Q7, but cannot stand the shysters that are their service department (at many dealerships).  I wanted another SUV, and the Aviator was the only one that struck me as stylish with the best performance.  I really worry that service will be an issue with this 2020 model.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

I like my 2008 Audi Q7, but cannot stand the shysters that are their service department (at many dealerships).  I wanted another SUV, and the Aviator was the only one that struck me as stylish with the best performance.  I really worry that service will be an issue with this 2020 model.  

Very True, My last Audi trip was not fun.  200 clams to change my brake fluid at 12,000 miles, manual says 20K or 2 years, it will be 2 years in December.  Service agent said it was important for the brake fluid to be changed to prevent brake failure.  LoL, wander who buys that crap.  I always worry about service, but a GM I have a good history with just became Co-Owner of the Lincoln Dealership, as long as he is there, I'm not worried.  I would check out your service department though.  Look at their reviews and then just go visit them for a bit.  I always watch my first experience with a new dealer no matter how long they say it takes.  The drop it off and pick it up doesn't fly.  When I'm comfortable, then they can work on it at their leisure.  There are issues on the best built cars, it happens.  I would only reject or not wait if I were not getting a good deal and know the owner.  I have four years to work out the bugs, and they will pick it up.  It is not my daily driver so I have that luxury.  With Lincoln though you will get a loaner and they pick it up, nothing to worry about for me.

57 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

Thank you for sharing this jfischetti sir. The sample Lincoln Aviator shown in the article is one reason why expensive Fords and Lincolns are considered overpriced by professional reviewers and by many luxury car customers too. Product quality simply doesn't measure up to the prices Ford asks for these vehicles.

Just got an unsolicited call from my dealer offering an additional $$ off of my Aviator due to the long wait and presumably, bad press.

To note, mine was built 7/19/19 and I have not called them since test driving one around that date.

I stated it better be perfect, they agreed.  I also asked them about the ones they have received  - claimed no QC issues on any of them.

I think i might swing by the lot and look at them myself to level-set my expectations.

Of course, they still have no idea when mine will arrive....

• Like 1

By not emphasis quality from the beginning, Ford/Lincoln shot themselves on the feet. Don't know how long this going to last. Hopefully they can be resolved before I buy next year. 

I bought one of the very first productions of Infiniti JX 35, it has nearly 100K now and has 0 quality issue. The Explorer was on the top of my list then but was dropped due to abundant complains on quality issues on many forums. 

• Like 1

I don't get it... seems like even the retail orders after OK to buy are being delayed due to the same quality issues.  Why did they issue OKTB on both models if they didn't get the 5 (?) consecutive production days in a row without QC issues.  Why did they start building retail orders with known production defects? 

9 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

I’ve seen quite a few listed on cars.com and the like that don’t seem to have any issues, though. But it’s definitely not comforting when you see ones like that. 

I just looked on Cars.com after your recommendation.    The first one I looked at has another uneven trim along top of rear door.

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 4.08.58 PM.png

Edited by jfischetti

Was at my local dealer today getting my SuperDuty serviced.  They had three sitting on the lot including an ST that I drove (Sweet! ride).  Salesman said they have not had any issues with the ones they have except they cant sell the ST yet since they put the wrong brake pads on it at the factory!!!

42 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

I don't get it... seems like even the retail orders after OK to buy are being delayed due to the same quality issues.  Why did they issue OKTB on both models if they didn't get the 5 (?) consecutive production days in a row without QC issues.  Why did they start building retail orders with known production defects? 

Either they decided to start shipping anyway and thought they could keep up with the repairs until they could fix the root cause or these problems started happening after oktb.

Either way it points to process issues that need to be addressed.