Build quality worries

jfischetti

There are plenty of Black Label models in the high-end press videos from Napa that have beautifully straight chrome trims along the top of the doors - so it can be achieved, just not in some of the early production models.   This correct one is from Lincoln press photos. I recommend everyone make sure these are straight and even.  No excuse for this. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 4.20.00 PM.png

Edited by jfischetti
  • Like 2

Well, I got our Black Label a few weeks ago. Had one issue: the front windshield camera for many systems (lane keep assist, auto high beam, etc)  needed to be recalibrated and a clip for its placement was missing possibly due to the windshield having to be replaced at the factory or the offsite location for performing the recalls. Supposedly mine was held up due to the recalls. Apart from that, it’s great and all panels are straight. Got it with about 30 miles and just racking up a couple hundred miles. Having to get used to the clicking of the electronics when getting out and the indecisiveness of the air suspension lowering or not for easy exit/entry. Great vehicle and so far so good outside of the one issue, which my dealership addressed right away. 

Edited by AutomotiveAddicts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jfischetti said:

Thanks for the update.  Just curious, what causes the clicking when getting out?

I'm thinking relays for the air suspension controller in addition to other power systems. Though, it sort of reminds me of Land Rovers, which isn't a good thing considering how bad their electronics are. Hate to say that.. haha. 

I hear others have the same thing happen, even in the new Explorer ST. After-all, the park lights, dashboard and infotainment screen, and suspension system all come to life just by opening a door. That's not even including the door mechanics getting powered up again. After driving as many cars as I have none of this surprises me considering how many tech/electric units are on vehicles today. Only time will tell the durability of them. I'm not worried though. I'll give the Aviator a shot. It sure does look nice and people are perplexed by seeing it go down the the road. Hardly anyone knows what it is or what to make of it. The Flight Blue paint job is pretty good... though there are some very very small imperfections. But I am very picky and tend to find fault with a lot of vehicles in doing reviews often. Even flaws in six-figure cars. 

One one other note, the air suspension and its road preview feature appears to work identical to the one in a new 2020 BMW 750i I got in for review... funny enough, it is the best riding 7 Series I've ever driven and it rides JUST LIKE my Aviator. I kid you not! Take it for whatever it's worth. haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Here she is... just before I got the windows tinted. Sorry, I know this is the wrong forum post for this.. but this is an example of a unit without those "issues". I'm thankful for that, thus far. 

2020-lincoln-aviator-hogan-1.jpg

2020-lincoln-aviator-hogan-rear.jpg

IMO, the Aviator is the sharpest looking SUV on the planet... inside and out... from any angle and by any brand and no matter the cost.  There really isn't even a close second... congrats and enjoy the experience!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

One one other note, the air suspension and its road preview feature appears to work identical to the one in a new 2020 BMW 750i I got in for review... funny enough, it is the best riding 7 Series I've ever driven and it rides JUST LIKE my Aviator. I kid you not! Take it for whatever it's worth. haha.

Every day I drive over the road I made the video of in the other thread I wish I had the Aviator back.  Sometimes you don't know what you miss until it is gone.  It was not perfect, but the ride was head and shoulders over my other rides.  

Thanks everyone. It is a blessing to have such a vehicle. We're really loving it. Next step is for some front-end paint protection film. 

I do notice that one of the roof speaker grills tabs is not locking into place (the rear driver side roof grille)... just one of the 4 plastic clips. looks like an easy fix through some bending of the plastic and metal mesh. HAHA. I didn't attempt to fix it as it would not snap into place on the one clip. It stays in place for now. Funny to even have to say this on a luxury vehicle. But, I expect small things like this, unfortunately. I may have my dealer order a new speak mesh grille and see how that goes. 

32 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Thanks everyone. It is a blessing to have such a vehicle. We're really loving it. Next step is for some front-end paint protection film. 

What are you looking at for paint protection?  Seems a bit early for them to have products cut for the Aviator.  I really want one on the back bumper below the lift gate too.

6 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

What are you looking at for paint protection?  Seems a bit early for them to have products cut for the Aviator.  I really want one on the back bumper below the lift gate too.

Xpel already has the data in their computer for cutting their products for the Aviator. My installer already checked. Will be doing the full hood, front fenders, front bumper, rearview mirror, and headlights. I may have him throw in something for the top of the rear bumper but it is pretty shallow so the risk of having luggage or anything hit it is pretty low. 

Edited by AutomotiveAddicts

• 2 weeks later...

Another article, now with owners voicing concern about the issues they are having.  These seem isolated, but we need owners on this forum to please share their experiences.  Thanks.

Some Lincoln Aviator owners battle serious problems with luxury SUV

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/10/03/lincoln-aviator-suv-recall-chicago-explorer-police-interceptor/3830654002/

On 9/18/2019 at 9:42 AM, AutomotiveAddicts said:

I do notice that one of the roof speaker grills tabs is not locking into place (the rear driver side roof grille)... just one of the 4 plastic clips. looks like an easy fix through some bending of the plastic and metal mesh. HAHA. I didn't attempt to fix it as it would not snap into place on the one clip. It stays in place for now. Funny to even have to say this on a luxury vehicle. But, I expect small things like this, unfortunately. I may have my dealer order a new speak mesh grille and see how that goes. 

Same person?

HRG

AA interview.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Some of those issues are truly worrying; the Navigator didn’t have issues like this during the launch did it?

I understand worrying about it, but I will say this: Trust the process. Especially now that the media has picked up on this you can bet your ass they’re going to work double-time on getting all of this sorted out. 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I understand worrying about it, but I will say this: Trust the process. Especially now that the media has picked up on this you can bet your ass they’re going to work double-time on getting all of this sorted out. 

I’m sure it will but it shouldn’t have gotten to this level in the first place.

My Reserve I Diamond Blue with Roast interior came into the dealer yesterday.  I stopped by today to give it a once-over and it looks great.  My worry about shifted rear  panels (see original post in this thread) and other things mentioned on this board were non existent.  While the outside was a bit dirty before cleaning, the interior was flawless.   Here's hoping the functional things I couldn't test today are good at delivery on Friday.

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5176.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

Edited by jfischetti
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

My Reserve I Diamond Blue with Roast interior came into the dealer yesterday.  I stopped by today to give it a once-over and it looks great.  My worry about shifted rear  panels (see original post in this thread) and other things mentioned on this board were non existent.  While the outside was a bit dirty before cleaning, the interior was flawless.   Here's hoping the functional things I couldn't test today are good at delivery on Friday.

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5176.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

Looks great. I hope you have many trouble free miles. Keep in mind, no to discredit others with problems, the internet always shows the worst of the worst.