Jump to content
  • Custom Search


jfischetti

Build quality worries

Recommended Posts

I've been watching A LOT of videos on the Aviator as i watch my built car sit on the lot in Chicago everyday.  I've noticed some questionable things in those videos, but none as egregious as this build quality issue.  How can they let these two panels leave the factory this unaligned?

 

This can be noticed in a dealer-made video at 1:14.IMG_4924.thumb.jpeg.0a608bcfa2b35dbe61a8cdf636dfbc35.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a pity. There is also a video sometimes ago  showing a speaker cover falling off the ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I sat in one at my local dealer and the glasses holder wouldn't close there were multiple misaligned body panels. Not as bad as what you've shown above but just not what I'm looking for in a $70k vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of amazing the door fits that flush with even gap being that far out of alignment... even more surprising is the door latch has that much adjustment range, LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's likely a preproduction unit, which sometimes have issues like that. That's why that phase of production exists, to fix those issues.

 

There is a tight range of tolerances for panel fits, I have 100% confidence that would have been addressed before full production began. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's likely a preproduction unit, which sometimes have issues like that. That's why that phase of production exists, to fix those issues.

 

There is a tight range of tolerances for panel fits, I have 100% confidence that would have been addressed before full production began. 

 

Say's the guy who's damn happy he didn't hang those doors,,,,,

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

 

Say's the guy who's damn happy he didn't hang those doors,,,,,

 

HRG

Lol I can't remember the last time I've actually worked on my team because I keep getting loaned out to metal finish every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wheeling said:

That is a pity. There is also a video sometimes ago  showing a speaker cover falling off the ceiling. 

 

I have noticed those roof liner grilles not fitting well in videos, but I ordered the 14-speaker system, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jfischetti said:

 

I have noticed those roof liner grilles not fitting well in videos, but I ordered the 14-speaker system, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

 

The early build I had only had the issue with the sunglass case, the alignment and other issues were moot.  I would imagine QC catches most, but do realize these go through some serious torque on carriers and trains.  That's why the dealer is supposed to fix these issues during PDI.  All 28 grills were in place and flush.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If mine comes with imperfections I’ll be pissed, but I’m sure everything has been sorted out by now. My Continental BL has to be a one of one, though, the center console(I have the Chalet) is black and it should be white. Not sure how that made it past QC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I picked up my current MKZ, I actually had to 'click' 5 different interior parts/panels into position. I know that the MKZ is built in Mexico and the Aviator should have a better quality control, but still...I thought I was driving a BL?😉

Edited by EcoBoost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been keenly looking at the videos as well. Common among most posted to date are ill-fitting roof speaker grilles and weird ‘tufting’ on the outer bolster of the drivers seat. Also on the Autovlog review there was just a terrible upper interior b-pillar fit. Egregiously bad!

 

I’m nervous as well as my second 2016 MKX, a custom order, came with a half-dozen glaring fit/finish issues. $70,000 vehicle to boot.  Still leaks motor oil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Professor1234 said:

I’ve been keenly looking at the videos as well. Common among most posted to date are ill-fitting roof speaker grilles and weird ‘tufting’ on the outer bolster of the drivers seat. Also on the Autovlog review there was just a terrible upper interior b-pillar fit.

 

Hhaha..funny you mention that. If you are referring to a youtube-video, I was actually the one commenting on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, EcoBoost said:

When I picked up my current MKZ, I actually had to 'click' 5 different interior parts/panels into position. I know that the MKZ is built in Mexico and the Aviator should have a better quality control, but still...I thought I was driving a BL?😉

This is just an observation and not an opinion... I love Honda quality when it comes to powersports and outdoor power equipment and I've had two Honda cars in the past.  But I'm a Ford guy who's had a bunch of them over there years and with five currently in the stable.  That said, our 2010 Fusion Hybrid made in Mexico had the best build quality inside and out of any vehicle we've ever owned.  Zero build issues... better than "Japanese" build quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this negative publicity will certainly have some bad effect on potential buyers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, twintornados said:

 

I have second thoughts ABOUT the article, being in the Detroit Free-loader Press

 

the article is actually being generous about the issues, there are issues not mysterious just stubborn management don't listen to veteran employees, we called out the issues in May they ignored until it became a headline.

6 month retooling done in 30 days new equipment into a 100 yr old plant, low moral during contract negotiations, I can provide a book of excuses as to way the quality isn't there. A nice new shinny contract will do wonders to moral  and help put the quality back into the products we build. Delaying and extending only gives workers more time to stew in the headlines of scandals dragging moral down even further along with the quality of the product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, twintornados said:

 

I have second thoughts ABOUT the article, being in the Detroit Free-loader Press

 

It was written by Free Press newcomer, Phoebe Wall Howard, who admitted in her first column she knows nothing about cars or the industry.  I'm surprised at her naiveté.  She seems shocked that car manufacturers often have start-up problems.  Not to excuse Ford, but stuff like this does happen,  Witness last year's difficult launch of the new Ram.  It was rumored it cost FCA over $300 million to address launch quality issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

All this negative publicity will certainly have some bad effect on potential buyers. 

 

99.9% of the people in this country have no idea of any of this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, Bellanca said:

If mine comes with imperfections I’ll be pissed, but I’m sure everything has been sorted out by now. My Continental BL has to be a one of one, though, the center console(I have the Chalet) is black and it should be white. Not sure how that made it past QC. 

Oh man @Bellanca, came across this post from a few weeks ago.  Seems like unfortunate foreshadowing re: your paint needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, mackinaw said:

 

It was written by Free Press newcomer, Phoebe Wall Howard, who admitted in her first column she knows nothing about cars or the industry.  I'm surprised at her naiveté.  She seems shocked that car manufacturers often have start-up problems.  Not to excuse Ford, but stuff like this does happen,  Witness last year's difficult launch of the new Ram.  It was rumored it cost FCA over $300 million to address launch quality issues.

I was exchanging emails all day Friday, and then over the weekend, with Ms. Howard. She has a lot of sources inside Ford that are anonymously feeding her information. She's not that naive - it isn't just that there are new model birthing pains. It's Ford having so many repairs, that CAP can't handle them - physically running out of space. Even I'm shocked at how many problems they're having with the Explorer and Aviator. I've had three products, over the years, built at CAP, two of them first year models, and even with first model year blues, it was nothing like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People won’t remember but I guarantee it will turn off some prospective buyers; like I said once mine is finally ready now that it has to be repainted if there’s a single blemish I’m not taking it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×