Buying extended warranty - Opinions

1 hour ago, Bob Durk said:

Just bought a 2019 Edge. Didn't take the extended warranty offered by dealer. Any advice pro or con?

Lots of previous discussions on this - try search.

bottom line - buy it if it makes you feel better, don’t buy it if you want to save money in the long run.

• Like 2

Just bought a 2019 Edge. Didn't take the extended warranty offered by dealer. Any advice pro or con?

If you want to buy an extended warranty, go online and search for Ford ESP, there are a few dealers out there that sell them online for near dealer cost which is considerably less than most dealers charge.  As far as value, it depends.  If you plan on keeping the vehicle for 100,000+ miles it is probably worth it as most mechanical issues will start popping up in that time frame.  Electrical modules usually work or they don't, but age can affect those as well and definitely affects wiring.  I didn't have one for my 2012 Explorer and haven't had enough out of warranty issues that would have made the warranty worth it.  I have 155,000 miles so if anything were to come up now, it wouldn't have helped anyway.  On my spouse's 2017 MkC we did get 8 years 100,000 miles on that, but our dealer sold it for near cost so it was worth it for the extra peace of mind.

4 hours ago, Flying68 said:

If you want to buy an extended warranty, go online and search for Ford ESP, there are a few dealers out there that sell them online for near dealer cost which is considerably less than most dealers charge.  As far as value, it depends.  If you plan on keeping the vehicle for 100,000+ miles it is probably worth it as most mechanical issues will start popping up in that time frame.  Electrical modules usually work or they don't, but age can affect those as well and definitely affects wiring.  I didn't have one for my 2012 Explorer and haven't had enough out of warranty issues that would have made the warranty worth it.  I have 155,000 miles so if anything were to come up now, it wouldn't have helped anyway.  On my spouse's 2017 MkC we did get 8 years 100,000 miles on that, but our dealer sold it for near cost so it was worth it for the extra peace of mind.

We're going to sign for the Ford extended bumper to bumper, approx $2200.

Edited by Bob Durk

Hi Bob. Work up an Internet price for the Plan you are getting here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtCf6N2h5AIVjeDICh1CvwfyEAAYAiAAEgLANPD_BwE

After doing extensive online and local Dealer shopping and price negotiations, I have purchased the ESP's for my last three Lincolns from Ziegler. Their prices were the lowest by a lot as compared to my local Dealers (including the Dealers where I purchased the cars), and a little to a moderate amount lower than other online sellers. Next lowest each time was Flood Ford: https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Work up price quotes from both of them. And be sure to work up the pricing exactly as the one you have the $2,200 price quote for, apples to apples.

And to be honest, your description of "We're going to sign for the Ford extended bumper to bumper, approx $2200." tells us almost nothing.  There are 3 "Bumper to Bumper" plans. PremiumCare, ExtraCare and BaseCare. However, what they cover between the bumpers varies greatly.  And within those plans are varying mileage and month limits, along with deductibles from $0 on up. Then there are optional coverages, such as Interior/Exterior LED lighting coverage, Key coverage, Extended Rental car coverage, etc.  So a price of "$2,200" without those details is not of much help.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Bob. Work up an Internet price for the Plan you are getting here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtCf6N2h5AIVjeDICh1CvwfyEAAYAiAAEgLANPD_BwE

After doing extensive online and local Dealer shopping and price negotiations, I have purchased the ESP's for my last three Lincolns from Ziegler. Their prices were the lowest by a lot as compared to my local Dealers (including the Dealers where I purchased the cars), and a little to a moderate amount lower than other online sellers. Next lowest each time was Flood Ford: https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Work up price quotes from both of them. And be sure to work up the pricing exactly as the one you have the $2,200 price quote for, apples to apples.

And to be honest, your description of "We're going to sign for the Ford extended bumper to bumper, approx $2200." tells us almost nothing.  There are 3 "Bumper to Bumper" plans. PremiumCare, ExtraCare and BaseCare. However, what they cover between the bumpers varies greatly.  And within those plans are varying mileage and month limits, along with deductibles from $0 on up. Then there are optional coverages, such as Interior/Exterior LED lighting coverage, Key coverage, Extended Rental car coverage, etc.  So a price of "$2,200" without those details is not of much help.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

You went to great detail and we appreciate your input sincerely. We will start our do dilligence before signing anything. Thanks again.

16 hours ago, Bob Durk said:

I just bought my Explorer and planned on doing this and the sales guy told me not to.  Said it doesn't actually cover much and unless you follow the maintenance guide strictly, it would be void.  I opted not to get it.  Now I question if I should have.  

On 8/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Bob.  You are very welcome.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.

My dealer in Atl quoted $2340 for an 8 yr, 100,000 mi, $100 deductable. The same Premium policy at Zeigler quate is $1540. My dealer won't meet the lower price. \_:(_/

6 hours ago, Bob Durk said:

My dealer in Atl quoted $2340 for an 8 yr, 100,000 mi, $100 deductable. The same Premium policy at Zeigler quate is $1540. My dealer won't meet the lower price. \_:(_/

Hi Bob. Of course they won't.  My Dealers would not either.  Purchase the ESP from Ziegler.  You will get the same service from the Service Department, so why pay more?

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
18 minutes ago, firemedic2714 said:

Does anybody know if you buy the Ford ESP from another site, does the plan get honored everywhere?

Yes it is valid at every Ford dealer.  A few dealers sell them at reasonable prices.  The rest try to get as much as they can for one.

21 hours ago, firemedic2714 said:

Does anybody know if you buy the Ford ESP from another site, does the plan get honored everywhere?

Hi firemedic. Yes, valid at all Ford and Lincoln Dealers.

See my post further up about ESP pricing by Zeigler Auto Group: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx

And Flood Ford: https://www.floodfordesp.com/

After extensive online and local Dealership price shopping, those are the two sellers that offer the lowest pricing on Lincoln/Ford ESP Plans.

Zeigler was always the lowest by $15-$20.

You can find many other online sellers by Googling "Lincoln/Ford ESP sellers". I checked and received quotes from most of them, and the two above always offered the best price. But take the time to check for yourself.

You can also use their quotes to try and negotiate a better price form your Dealership. However, I tried that at all my local Lincolns and Ford Dealerships, and still none would come close to the online pricing.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

PS- Just as an FYI...The "Announcements/Site Feedback/Help" sub-forum is actually for things concerning the Blue Oval Forums website itself. In the future, you may want to post in a sub-forum that better fits your subject.

• Like 1