2020 Explorer Limited Hybrid RWD has 500 mile range

1 minute ago, Harley Lover said:

Ford should be comparing to a 2020 Highlander Hybrid, not a 2019. Still a good number for the Explorer.

That was me using fueleconomy.gov, not Ford.  Some of the 2020 models weren't there so I just went with 2019 to be safe.  I assumed it was the same.

Just now, akirby said:

That was me using fueleconomy.gov, not Ford.  Some of the 2020 models weren't there so I just went with 2019 to be safe.  I assumed it was the same.

I'm not sure the 2020 HH has been published yet, but it will be a step up in its figures - I've read guesstimates of 34 mpg. 

34 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Big hit on fuel economy for AWD !

Explorer Hybrid does not use an additional electric motor to provide AWD capability like Toyota and Honda. Instead, it uses a traditional AWD/4WD setup with a direct mechanical link between the IC engine and the front wheels. That reduces fuel efficiency.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Explorer Hybrid does not use an additional electric motor to provide AWD capability like Toyota and Honda. Instead, it uses a traditional AWD/4WD setup with a direct mechanical link between the IC engine and the front wheels. That reduces fuel efficiency.

Apples to Apples; the AWD Explorer only gives up one MPG city/highway to the RWD Explorer, both with the 2.3L Ecoboost. 

However, 3.3L AWD vs 3.3L Hybrid AWD is a huge improvement- 16/23 vs 23/26. 

13 minutes ago, papilgee4evaeva said:

Explorer is also considerably bigger than Highlander and MDX, so there's that too.

2020 Explorer 

199″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H

4,727 lbs

2019 Highlander

193″ L x 76″ W x 68″ H
4,508 lbs

2019 MDX

196″ L x 78″ W x 67″ H
4,350 lbs

2019 Ford Edge

189″ L x 76″ W x 68″ H

4,477 lbs

2020 Escape:
181″ L x 74″ W x 66″ H

3,706 lbs HEV
3,884 lbs. PHEV (FWD only)

Seems like the Highlander/MDX are tweeners or larger midsized CUVs and the Edge needs to add a few inches next gen. 

Curb weights are the heaviest models available. 

Edited by silvrsvt

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

2020 Explorer 

199″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H

4,727 lbs

2019 Highlander

193″ L x 76″ W x 68″ H
4,508 lbs

2019 MDX

196″ L x 78″ W x 67″ H
4,350 lbs

I thought it was bigger but was too lazy to look up those specs.

I would expect to get around 23-25 mpg with the 2.3LEB based on what we get with our current vehicles.  $4K to get 3-4 more mpg and losing the ecoboost off the line torque (unless the electric motor makes up for it) just doesn't appeal much to me.  I was hoping for more like 35 mpg but I guess that's not realistic on these size vehicles.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Tow ratings -  MDX (0),   Highlander 3500.   Explorer  5000.   RWD and a standard drivetrain makes a big difference.

Definitely. The P2 hybrid architecture with RWD used in Explorer is better suited to high continuous power operation such as towing, compared to the power-split architecture from Toyota and the 2 motor dual clutch setup from Honda.

Ford did a nice job hitting multiple targets with 2020 Explorer Hybrid. Good fuel economy, good power, good tow ratings, good hybrid system packaging.

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford did a nice job hitting multiple targets with 2020 Explorer Hybrid. Good fuel economy, good power, good tow ratings, good hybrid system packaging.

I agree. To get the towing numbers they did, something was going to have to be sacrificed and that was efficiency, though they somehow still were able to give it crazy good range for a vehicle of its size. Looking at all factors they were able to come up with a very good middle ground. Props to the engineering team on that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree. To get the towing numbers they did, something was going to have to be sacrificed and that was efficiency, though they somehow still were able to give it crazy good range for a vehicle of its size. Looking at all factors they were able to come up with a very good middle ground. Props to the engineering team on that. 

I wonder if they could do an "Eco" package where it was tuned to ultra fuel economy only.

Obviously they aren't doing that, but I'd wonder what the numbers could be.

Edited by rmc523