For those that dont want to click a link...

For the second time in a month, Ford is recallingthe brand-new 2020 Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator for minor safety issues. This recall, which also affects certain 2018-2020 Ford F-150s, 2019-2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty trucks, 2018-2019 Ford Explorers, and 2019-2020 Ford Expeditions, pertains to potentially faulty seat-back reclining mechanisms. In total, the recall touches 550,186 vehicles.

A mechanical part meant for relaxation and comfort has the Ford Motor Company stressin'. Ford says potentially affected vehicles might be missing the "third pawl required for seat-back strength" in the reclining mechanisms on certain seats. Because of this, the seats might not properly keep a person in place during the event of a crash or otherwise. 

In the F-150s, F-Series Super Duty trucks, 2018-2019 Explorers, and Expeditions, the recall affects vehicles with manual driver and/or front passenger seat-back recliners. On the 2020 Explorers and Lincoln Aviators, rear outboard seats with manual recliners are of concern. Of the more than 550,000 vehicles, 483,325 vehicles are in the United States, 58,712 are in Canada and 8,149 are in Mexico.

Thus far, Ford is not aware of any injuries from the issues. Ford says it expects most vehicles will not need repair, but dealers will inspect the seat structures out of precaution. If fault is found, dealers will replace the seat structure altogether. For this recall, Ford's reference number is 19C07. Contact your dealer for more information.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/186e936a-828a-3a6b-8d02-f8064e5cee2c/ford-recalls-over-500%2C000.html

This is what happens when you keep getting the cheapest suppliers or you squeeze them so tight they cut corners in order to make a profit supplying your vehicles parts. How many damn times are we going to have seat recliners and door latch recalls? It’s over and over. For decades and Ford does nothing about it. The only people that really pay are the customers and the dealership technicians. We take beating after beating with Ford’s penny on the dollar pay scale for these ridiculous F-ups. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's been a few years since we've seen a door latch recall

We are still doing them and it’s going to get cold again so we will probably see freezing f150 door latches again. 

Over the years, here are the door latches I remember. The years may be off but it’s close,  99-00 explorers, 00-03 focus, 2000-2002 Taurus , 2013-15 fusions, 2013-2015 Escape, 2015 mustang,  2017 continental, 2015-2017 f150. I feel like I’m forgetting a few. But you can see we’ve had several over and over. Seat recliners or seat backs, 99-01 explorer, 2008 super duty, 2013 Cmaxx, 2010 fusions,. Here again I feel like I’m forgetting some. My point is Ford does not learn from their mistakes. I am a very much a Ford supporter, but these recalls are embarrassing. Not to mention, replacing these parts for .4 of an hour is not reasonable. I have no issue with the occasional recall. But the over and over on the same component areas is inexcusable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I thought Ford was building all of it own seating.  The experiment with outsourcing seating many years ago ended badly.  Maybe I missed this round !

I would think if possible you'd like to manufacture as much stuff in-house as possible, obviously that has its own challenges but you save a lot of money when you're not buying it from someone else who has to make a profit.

Edited by probowler

Fordtech is right. This endless cycle of ineptness is stupid. Again. 

Did my first 19C07 today on a regular cab S-Duty. Quite a bit of work for 0.3 hr. The tool we have to fab in house is cheesy and feels like will break the seat back. It definitely deforms it at the points it attaches. The tool that is supposed to speed up the recall for certain vehicles (that only 1 dealer in 10 gets) has been arriving broken.