2015 MKC trans wont engage

Guys I need some help. I bought a 2015 MKC with a 2.3 engine from a auction. The car was hit on the passenger tire. It bent the strut and broke the tie rod. the LCA was also bent. Anyhow now the trans will not engage. The shifter is moving but it seems like it is not connected to anything. I have checked the fuses.  I have not checked the fluid level yet. I do not have a code reader now. Does anybody have any ideas? Could a senser near the wheel have been damaged and causing the trans to not engage?    

I am assuming the vehicle was working when involved with a moving crash? Everything else seems to be working and the car has 54k miles. The battery was completely dead too if that maters

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Santer

checked the cable is attached, I am thinking now there be no transmission fluid in the trans. How do you check the fluid level? I know you are supposed to check it warm, but what is the level supposed to be? I got the cap off, I don't see any fluid with the engine off. I will know more tomorrow.

I just watch a youtube video on how to change transmission fluid on a ford escape. Close enough. So I took the level check plug out, and nothing came out. I had the car up on the jack, but I figured no biggie. The best way to make sure I have enough fluid is to drain the fluid then add 4.5 quarts. It is late and that's all I'm doing for tonight.

Thanks

Sanman

Oh, another thing. I am anticipating a significant leak/hose problem or a full transmission,

23 minutes ago, sanman68 said:

The transmission was damage in the accident. It cracked the housing and is going to need to be replaced. Sad day. Live and learn. 

Either a "pick n pull" type junk yard, eBay sale, or some JB weld is in your future...my guess is if it took a hard enough shot to crack the housing, it may be toast...

Edited by twintornados

20 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Either a "pick n pull" type junk yard, eBay sale, or some JB weld is in your future...my guess is if it took a hard enough shot to crack the housing, it may be toast...

I would be very cautious about a used 6f35. Personally I would go with a rebuilt one with a warranty. Or get a cheap used one and have it gone through before installing. Parts to rebuild are inexpensive. I’ve seen complete rebuilt ones with a warranty for $2-2500. Actually it may be best trying to fix the existing one. Depends if it needs both half’s of the case or just one. 

• Like 2

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^   Used 6F35s are almost as bad an idea as used 5R55's. 

6F35 parts are dirt cheap. The case half is not expensive at all. It is an EASY trans to build. Party Pack (R) time! I can taste the gravy!  

Actually, there probably isn't much hurt on the inside. Probably didn't have a chance to damage clutches, etc. Might get lucky and only need a case half.  

Thanks for the advice guys. Your support is awesome. I am a gearhead. I am thinking swapping the trans myself. How hard is it? My car is a 2.3 with AWD. My first thought is get one from the boneyard. But I might go with the warranty. Wont know anything til Tuesday. It seemed only one section of the housing was cracked. Do I need to flash the ecu for the new trans? What do I need for that?

Thanks again Sanman

12 hours ago, sanman68 said:

Thanks for the advice guys. Your support is awesome. I am a gearhead. I am thinking swapping the trans myself. How hard is it? My car is a 2.3 with AWD. My first thought is get one from the boneyard. But I might go with the warranty. Wont know anything til Tuesday. It seemed only one section of the housing was cracked. Do I need to flash the ecu for the new trans? What do I need for that?

Thanks again Sanman

So, if you are going to DIY it, seeing as you are going to "pull" the trans anyway, like the others have said, drop your trans and check to see if only the one case half is cracked, maybe you could replace the half and be on your way or maybe have a transmission shop tackle it if you don't want to tear down the trans yourself.

May be a less expensive option to replace the half, do a "party pack" while you are there and be on your way.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, twintornados said:

So, if you are going to DIY it, seeing as you are going to "pull" the trans anyway, like the others have said, drop your trans and check to see if only the one case half is cracked, maybe you could replace the half and be on your way or maybe have a transmission shop tackle it if you don't want to tear down the trans yourself.

May be a less expensive option to replace the half, do a "party pack" while you are there and be on your way.

Probably a good idea. Im going to do some calling tomorrow. Need a price on a boneyard trans, I want to get a quote for installation just to see if it is worth me doing.  Whilw Im talking to the shop I can see what they say about fixing my trans.

Sanman 

• Like 1

Ok, so I found a place that would install a used transmission for about 3k. They are getting the trans for 2k and 1000 to install. I going to fix the rest of the car and decide how to tackle the trans after. Right now I would say I would pay the 1000 bucks to get somebody to install for me. 

Sanman68