Rear steering 2.0

Three of the Japanese makers (Mazda was one, and I think Lexus and Acura were the others, but Mitsubishi could've been one) put 4WS into production in the late '80s, but it didn't stick. Dunno why; it could've been like the '65 T-Bird's sequential turn signals, and just too far ahead of the technology to be reliable, or maybe it just was just an answer desperately seeking a question, but there have been a few times when I could've used 4WS on my truck.

Quadrasteer was VERY problematic and required unique box sides on the twins because the track width was wider because otherwise the turned wheels would rub the leaf springs. This might be a better thing for Dodge as their truck already has coils on the rear. 

15 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

We’ve seen pictures of IRS F150 prototypes so maybe they are setting up for this already. Why else would ZF spend the money?

Interestingly the truck in the video has leafs. But damn, look at all the increase in unsprung weight! 

I get leery of "benefit" anytime ZF or Getrag is involved.  

6 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Three of the Japanese makers (Mazda was one, and I think Lexus and Acura were the others, but Mitsubishi could've been one) put 4WS into production in the late '80s, but it didn't stick. Dunno why; it could've been like the '65 T-Bird's sequential turn signals, and just too far ahead of the technology to be reliable, or maybe it just was just an answer desperately seeking a question, but there have been a few times when I could've used 4WS on my truck.

I think the biggest issue with the Japanese AWS systems from the early 1990s was extra wear on the tires and the suspension being more complicated. There are fewer higher end vehicles that use an AWS, but we have better electronics and what not so Its not much of an issue.