• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
MY93SHO

Rear steering 2.0

50 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

It's one of those "What happened" type of inventions...sort of like the Bose Suspension system which looked promising...  

Bose Suspension

I’m almost certain weight and cost  is what killed the Bose suspension.

2 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I think the amount of power it required was an issue also. Of course now with battery tech, may not be an issue. 

Three of the Japanese makers (Mazda was one, and I think Lexus and Acura were the others, but Mitsubishi could've been one) put 4WS into production in the late '80s, but it didn't stick. Dunno why; it could've been like the '65 T-Bird's sequential turn signals, and just too far ahead of the technology to be reliable, or maybe it just was just an answer desperately seeking a question, but there have been a few times when I could've used 4WS on my truck.

40 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

That's what they said near the end of the video.

That is freaking awesome. It's amazing with how expensive trucks get we haven't seen this on a Mark LT/Platninum type truck yet.

I think it would be interesting to post that video on some of the GM truck forums, and see how many guys had it back in 2002-2005.

HRG

Quadrasteer.JPG

Quadrasteer was VERY problematic and required unique box sides on the twins because the track width was wider because otherwise the turned wheels would rub the leaf springs. This might be a better thing for Dodge as their truck already has coils on the rear. 

We’ve seen pictures of IRS F150 prototypes so maybe they are setting up for this already. Why else would ZF spend the money?

15 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

We’ve seen pictures of IRS F150 prototypes so maybe they are setting up for this already. Why else would ZF spend the money?

Interestingly the truck in the video has leafs. But damn, look at all the increase in unsprung weight! 

I get leery of "benefit" anytime ZF or Getrag is involved.  

6 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Three of the Japanese makers (Mazda was one, and I think Lexus and Acura were the others, but Mitsubishi could've been one) put 4WS into production in the late '80s, but it didn't stick. Dunno why; it could've been like the '65 T-Bird's sequential turn signals, and just too far ahead of the technology to be reliable, or maybe it just was just an answer desperately seeking a question, but there have been a few times when I could've used 4WS on my truck.

I think the biggest issue with the Japanese AWS systems from the early 1990s was extra wear on the tires and the suspension being more complicated. There are fewer higher end vehicles that use an AWS, but we have better electronics and what not so Its not much of an issue.  

I think the Honda prelude was the first one.  My co workers brother had one.