Ford to expand F-150 touch screen by 50% to counter Ram

I think we've already seen spy pics of the new interior that confirm something like this, but here are some specifics:

Ford Motor Co. plans to increase the size of the touch screen in its best-selling F-150 pickup by at least 50% when it rolls out a redesigned model next year, according to people familiar with its plans.

The automaker will offer at least a 12-inch screen that can simultaneously display multiple functions, such as maps and audio controls, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing future product plans. The expansion from the 8-inch screen now available in the F-150 will match or surpass the display in Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Ram pickup that has helped vault the model line into second place on U.S. truck sales charts.

The F-150’s new screen will be configured horizontally, with a “landscape” design similar to the display in Ford’s new Escape SUV, according to the people familiar with the company’s plans. It likely will be offered in higher-end models, which are slated to go into production next summer at Ford’s assembly plant in Dearborn, Michigan, the people said.

Full article: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/08/30/ford-expand-touch-screen-counter-ram/40049295/

As info-tainment screens get larger, there should be a button on the screen that allows you to "mute" or have the screen "go dark" after you are done selecting a function for an "uncluttered" driving experience...less distraction from the dash. The screen would "re-light" with a touch on the screen. 
I can do this now with my Lincoln MKC, but I have to wade into the screen settings to do it. A simple "button" short cut on the screen would be great.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, twintornados said:

As info-tainment screens get larger, there should be a button on the screen that allows you to "mute" or have the screen "go dark" after you are done selecting a function for an "uncluttered" driving experience...less distraction from the dash. The screen would "re-light" with a touch on the screen. 
I can do this now with my Lincoln MKC, but I have to wade into the screen settings to do it. A simple "button" short cut on the screen would be great.

#richpeopleproblems

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

There is, I can black out my 10" screen in my Explorer ST through the settings.  One touch of the screen turns it back on.

Edit - guess Ibshould have read your full post before replying.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

The 2019 Escape I've been driving for the last 2 months has a physical button that turns the screen off. I love it, especially since my drive home from work is on mostly unlit roads until I get to Flat Rock. I wish my Fusion had that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twintornados said:

Does it actually black out the screen, or just reduce the glow? My parents' 2018 Durango has a "Screen Off" button, but it never really blacks out... it just glows a kind of soft black. I wish it actually turned off. 

7 hours ago, Dequindre said:

Does it actually black out the screen, or just reduce the glow? My parents' 2018 Durango has a "Screen Off" button, but it never really blacks out... it just glows a kind of soft black. I wish it actually turned off. 

Can't speak to the MKC, but the Escape I have it turns the screen completely off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dequindre said:

9 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Can't speak to the MKC, but the Escape I have it turns the screen completely off. 

It turns the screen completely off....I am thinking that the "button" on the main screen could be added with a SYNC 3 update....it would only be software to add that button in the absence of a physical hardwired button. 

They should have spent there time/money on upgrading there truck interiors as it stands ram has them crushed on interior materials..the 12" screen is causing much pain for ram owners..reported quality defects are all over on ram forums...however, biggest gripe on ram is the darn air-con refuses to cool and rear power slider leaks (they are not alone in water leaks)...i will probably trade in my 11 ranger for a f350 (want 7.3L) if ford works over its horrendous interiors..plastics feel same as my 11 ranger and really no different from my then new 91 ranger...beyond that a 12" tv screen in a truck is getting on the crazy side.. 8.5" works well and fits the interior much better in my eyes..next week all big three will offer a 48" HD nav screen

1 hour ago, snooter said:

They should have spent there time/money on upgrading there truck interiors as it stands ram has them crushed on interior materials.

Uh, so you think they are just putting a big screen in the same interior? That wouldn't work.

It was mentioned in another thread a couple of months ago that the entire interior is new, design and materials.

19 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This new F-150 plus continued aggressive incentives from Ram is going tor make things much, much worse for the boys at the RenCen.

Don't worry though the Halo effect of the new Corvette in the showroom will lead to sales.

Wonder if the new Screen/UI is the one that is on the updated Chinese Taurus/Edge.

burlappcar-ford-edge-china-3.jpg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Don't worry though the Halo effect of the new Corvette in the showroom will lead to sales.

Wonder if the new Screen/UI is the one that is on the updated Chinese Taurus/Edge.

burlappcar-ford-edge-china-3.jpg

The new screen layout is landscape, not portrait... anxious to see how it's integrated. I think the traditional F-150 dash layout  of:

I0I  (-------)  I0I  [           ]  I0I______I0I 

is done for. 

On 9/1/2019 at 11:52 PM, Dequindre said:

My Mustang has a screen off feature.  You have to go into the settings to activate it, but it's there.  And it turns it completely off.  I put it "on" sometimes when I have the top down along the beach at night.

23 hours ago, snooter said:

They should have spent there time/money on upgrading there truck interiors as it stands ram has them crushed on interior materials..the 12" screen is causing much pain for ram owners..reported quality defects are all over on ram forums...however, biggest gripe on ram is the darn air-con refuses to cool and rear power slider leaks (they are not alone in water leaks)...i will probably trade in my 11 ranger for a f350 (want 7.3L) if ford works over its horrendous interiors..plastics feel same as my 11 ranger and really no different from my then new 91 ranger...beyond that a 12" tv screen in a truck is getting on the crazy side.. 8.5" works well and fits the interior much better in my eyes..next week all big three will offer a 48" HD nav screen

Ford isn't GM.  They're not going to put the same interior in and call it a day.

27 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

The new screen layout is landscape, not portrait... anxious to see how it's integrated. I think the traditional F-150 dash layout  of:

I0I  (-------)  I0I  [           ]  I0I______I0I 

is done for. 

Haha, love the text dash building.

Yeah, I don't see any way a screen that big fits landscape with room for the air vents on the side.  Unless it's a very tall landscape to where it's almost portrait but not quite.

These are the only interior spy shots we have.....some of these (the drivers view of the gauge cluster) I haven't seen before:

Next-gen Ford F-150

c22f7700-2021-ford-f150-16-1024x683.jpg2021-Ford-F-150-Interior-Center-Screen-Spy-Pictures-August-2019-001.jpg

It definitely looks wide.  I'm not sure, but am I seeing a very tall/thin vent on the left of the screen (I think i make out a chrome vent adjustment tab in the middle) or is that just the camo?

Otherwise, I'd think the vents would need to go horizontal under the screen.

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

My Mustang has a screen off feature.  You have to go into the settings to activate it, but it's there.  And it turns it completely off.  I put it "on" sometimes when I have the top down along the beach at night.

Ford isn't GM.  They're not going to put the same interior in and call it a day.

Haha, love the text dash building.

Yeah, I don't see any way a screen that big fits landscape with room for the air vents on the side.  Unless it's a very tall landscape to where it's almost portrait but not quite.

These are the only interior spy shots we have.....some of these (the drivers view of the gauge cluster) I haven't seen before:

Next-gen Ford F-150

c22f7700-2021-ford-f150-16-1024x683.jpg2021-Ford-F-150-Interior-Center-Screen-Spy-Pictures-August-2019-001.jpg

It definitely looks wide.  I'm not sure, but am I seeing a very tall/thin vent on the left of the screen (I think i make out a chrome vent adjustment tab in the middle) or is that just the camo?

Otherwise, I'd think the vents would need to go horizontal under the screen.

Looks like those that wanted a bigger digital speedo should be happy. Don't know if that's a 26 or 28 but it looks huge.

• Like 1