I found RJ - he wrote an article on Unix 50 years

akirby

Uh you guys have me by a few years! My first real exposure to UNIX (not linux) was some dinosaur Solaris boxes. Virtually no training on an overnight support desk. I had to verify there were no issues with the scheduled jobs and to do any sort of jump starting if any issues. I eventually became decent at it. They eventually got decommed and were not once rebooted. I think it was over 12 years running continuously.

If you read the article and know the history, Unix was the result of the failed Honeywell Multics OS.

Multics, itself, was a result of Honeywell trying to finally cut all its linkage to GCOS (originally GECOS, which Honeywell inherited when they bought GE's computing division).  GCOS was heavily used in Ford's computer engineering center (actually just a part of one floor of Building 2) in the 70s/80s and was commonly call FCOS because of all of the additional utilities that the Ford staff had added.

For reference, those "donut" looking things on the front of the compute are "DECtape I".  Small reels of 1/2" wide magnetic mylar tape.  Much "higher density" and easier to carry than a stack of punch card and more durable than paper tape.  Sort of the 1960s version of a floppy disk !

22 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Uh you guys have me by a few years! My first real exposure to UNIX (not linux) was some dinosaur Solaris boxes. Virtually no training on an overnight support desk. I had to verify there were no issues with the scheduled jobs and to do any sort of jump starting if any issues. I eventually became decent at it. They eventually got decommed and were not once rebooted. I think it was over 12 years running continuously.

When we switched from dumb terminals to sun workstations it was life changing.