AVIATOR GT Delivery Date

Guards Red Car

I am aware that a few Automotive Journals/Reporters have gotten their hands on early production Aviator GT's (LIKELY pre production units for study and NOT for sale to the public)

HOWEVER,  I am very frustrated about the INCREDIBLY SCANT information on ACTUAL START of Production date for Delivery to ACTUAL Customers (like me who ordered my Aviator GT back in June)

My Dealer Cannot enlighten me on this -  He seems to be more in the dark than I am

I have read in more than one publication that GT availability will be in "Late 2019"

Does anyone have any knowledge on ACTUAL delivery timeline of the GT ??

THANKS!!!!

1 hour ago, Guards Red Car said:

I am aware that a few Automotive Journals/Reporters have gotten their hands on early production Aviator GT's (LIKELY pre production units for study and NOT for sale to the public)

HOWEVER,  I am very frustrated about the INCREDIBLY SCANT information on ACTUAL START of Production date for Delivery to ACTUAL Customers (like me who ordered my Aviator GT back in June)

My Dealer Cannot enlighten me on this -  He seems to be more in the dark than I am

I have read in more than one publication that GT availability will be in "Late 2019"

Does anyone have any knowledge on ACTUAL delivery timeline of the GT ??

THANKS!!!!

The new line is scheduled for start-up next month, it will take a few weeks to get everything running and passed QA.  CAP is behind in production do to a few factors, but one is employees taking off without calling in.  They have moved some expertise in from other factories to help out, but sometimes that is like putting water on a grease fire.  That said, I ordered my GT the day the order backs opened for them also.  I've learned to be patient when being an early adopter.  I'm hoping by Christmas, but expecting Valentines.  Until a VIN shows up for you or anyone else, they are not scheduling.  I'm hoping for a VIN any week now.  As far as actual timeline on a new line, there is only the best guess.  

4 hours ago, mustangchief said:

The new line is scheduled for start-up next month, it will take a few weeks to get everything running and passed QA.  CAP is behind in production do to a few factors, but one is employees taking off without calling in.  They have moved some expertise in from other factories to help out, but sometimes that is like putting water on a grease fire.  That said, I ordered my GT the day the order backs opened for them also.  I've learned to be patient when being an early adopter.  I'm hoping by Christmas, but expecting Valentines.  Until a VIN shows up for you or anyone else, they are not scheduling.  I'm hoping for a VIN any week now.  As far as actual timeline on a new line, there is only the best guess.  

Employees taking off without calling in??? Is that something we should be concerned about when it comes to quality of our build? Wow. 

My build has had a vin for a few weeks now but still “in production” it’s a normal BL. Maybe it’s being held up for qa and/or the recall work.

5 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I talked to the GM of my dealer today. I asked when the GT would start production. He said from the information he has from the dealers conference the GT should start in October with an outside chance in late September. He said Lincoln hasn't even set allocation yet. He also was pretty upset with how badly the Aviator launch has been and hopes the Corsair will be better. The first Aviator they got in about a month ago was a retail order, it has been in the shop waiting for parts due to a transmission issue so it actually hasn't been delivered yet. So with all the issues I thing getting one in by EOY 2019 will be a stretch. 

52 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Employees taking off without calling in??? Is that something we should be concerned about when it comes to quality of our build? Wow. 

My build has had a vin for a few weeks now but still “in production” it’s a normal BL. Maybe it’s being held up for qa and/or the recall work.

Did you get a build date, I think only those built before 1 Aug had the issue needing resolved before delivery.  

9 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

I talked to the GM of my dealer today. I asked when the GT would start production. He said from the information he has from the dealers conference the GT should start in October with an outside chance in late September. He said Lincoln hasn't even set allocation yet. He also was pretty upset with how badly the Aviator launch has been and hopes the Corsair will be better. The first Aviator they got in about a month ago was a retail order, it has been in the shop waiting for parts due to a transmission issue so it actually hasn't been delivered yet. So with all the issues I thing getting one in by EOY 2019 will be a stretch. 

Aug 23 was the OKTB target date for the PHEV, not sure if they made it.  

2 hours ago, Guards Red Car said:

Where's the GT .....  ??

Dealers are in the dark.....

I've had more encounters with the Sasquatch and The Loch Ness Monster

The GT isn't built yet. They are still finishing up on the line that is going to build it. It was never promised before 2019 Q4, which might slip a little into 2020 Q1. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/07/22/ford-spending-50-m-chicago-support-explorer-aviator-production/1799145001/

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-ford.html

Just stumbled on this FORD TRUCK PRODUCTION UPDATE by Donlen, a major fleet management company, that was last updated on 9/13/19.   Scroll down to 2020 Lincoln Aviator... under KEY PRODUCTION INFORMATION it says: PHEV 9/30/19.  This seems to indicate that the new Mod Center line for final assembly of hybrid models will be starting at the beginning of the fourth quarter as planned.  

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

First Aviator Grand Touring VIN and build week that I've found!!! - "Yes I have a VIN, build is week of 11-11 and delivery estimated for the first week of December."  It was ordered on August 28th... found at Explorerforum.com under 2020 Explorer Limited Hybrid Production.  Nobody reported an Explorer Hybrid VIN yet, just this one GT VIN so far.

1 hour ago, Guards Red Car said:

I'm thinking of changing the color of my Aviator GT, is it too late?

Hi Guards Red. That is a question you will lneed to ask your Dealership.  It all depends on where your particular order is in scheduling. If you really want to make some sort of change, you better act quickly.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

4 hours ago, Guards Red Car said:

I would not buy a car that was the "wrong" color.  The questions is not whether it is too late - it's not.  It is what color do you want?  How important is the color to you? I would not blink at changing/cancelling an order to wait to get what I really wanted.

15 minutes ago, msm859 said:

I would not buy a car that was the "wrong" color.  The questions is not whether it is too late - it's not.  It is what color do you want?  How important is the color to you? I would not blink at changing/cancelling an order to wait to get what I really wanted.

Hi msm. I agree. "Guards Red" can cancel the existing order, if it is too late to change it. But he may lose his deposit in doing so. Would you blink if you were going to lose a $500 or $1,000 deposit (or name any amount he may have had to place)? That is why he must check with the Dealer first.

He asked if it was too late to change the order he already placed. And the correct answer is he must check with the Dealer as to whether it is too late to change the order and what options he may have otherwise. If it is too late to change the existing order, he needs to inquire as to whether he would lose his deposit (if any) if he cancels for "I changed my mind about the color".

I am not saying the Dealer would be correct in keeping a deposit. However, most order contracts give the Dealer the option to keep the deposit if the buyer cancels. They usually won't, but they have the option.  So Guards Red should make sure before acting.

Hopefully it will all work out for the best. If the current order color can be changed, great. If it can't be changed, but they will cancel the contract and order a new one, great.

Hope that makes my reply clearer. Good luck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi msm. I agree. "Guards Red" can cancel the existing order, if it is too late to change it. But he may lose his deposit in doing so. Would you blink if you were going to lose a $500 or $1,000 deposit (or name any amount he may have had to place)? That is why he must check with the Dealer first.

He asked if it was too late to change the order he already placed. And the correct answer is he must check with the Dealer as to whether it is too late to change the order and what options he may have otherwise. If it is too late to change the existing order, he needs to inquire as to whether he would lose his deposit (if any) if he cancels for "I changed my mind about the color".

I am not saying the Dealer would be correct in keeping a deposit. However, most order contracts give the Dealer the option to keep the deposit if the buyer cancels. They usually won't, but they have the option.  So Guards Red should make sure before acting.

Hopefully it will all work out for the best. If the current order color can be changed, great. If it can't be changed, but they will cancel the contract and order a new one, great.

Hope that makes my reply clearer. Good luck.

Yes, I suppose I was being more philosophical.  However, I live in California where I am pretty sure it is illegal for a dealership to keep a deposit if you have not taken possession of the vehicle.  I have custom ordered 8 trucks/cars and only 1 time did a dealer actually ask for a deposit.  Seems a little crazy when you are trying to buy a "popular" car unless you order some strange color combinations to ask for a deposit.

20 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Yes, I suppose I was being more philosophical.  However, I live in California where I am pretty sure it is illegal for a dealership to keep a deposit if you have not taken possession of the vehicle.  I have custom ordered 8 trucks/cars and only 1 time did a dealer actually ask for a deposit.  Seems a little crazy when you are trying to buy a "popular" car unless you order some strange color combinations to ask for a deposit.

Hi msm. Again, I agree with the philosophical part of what you are saying.  ?

I have factory ordered every car of mine since my second car in 1976. Only my first car, which was a 15 year old hand-me-down from my older brother (but still greatly appreciated, since I was a newly licensed 17 years old), was not factory ordered. Most times I did not need to leave a deposit, because the Dealership already knew me from my prior purchases. But sometimes I needed to put down a small deposit, since my old Dealerships had closed over the years.

On a related note, it is not illegal in California.  It all depends on how the purchase contract is written. A purchase contract that requires a deposit will state whether the deposit is refundable or not, and under what circumstances it may or may not be refundable.  And it is a binding contract. Even in California.  ?

A short, very simplified explanation of why it is not that crazy to ask for deposits, from a Dealerships  point of view: They have to pay interest on loans for the cars they have sitting on their lots, until the car is sold and they can pay back the loan. Now they factory order a car for you or me on good faith, with the agreement that we are going to buy it when it is delivered. If we just decide once it arrives that we do not want it anymore, then the Dealership is stuck with a car they did not want. And they are stuck with it, paying interest on the loan, until they can sell it. Now imagine more than a few buyers feel free to factory order and then back out, since they just felt like ordering a car and then changed their mind, sticking a Dealer with extra unsold cars that they were not expecting in their inventory. Yikes!

Also, thanks for understanding I was only trying to explain some of the details.  Here's to hoping Guards Red can get this taken care of to his satisfaction.  Good luck msm.

So I agree that the Guards Red's Dealer will probably work with him and not keep a deposit.  But we can not guarantee that.

Edited by bbf2530

10 hours ago, Guards Red Car said:

You should be able to make basic changes like color choices up until its locked in for production.  If you haven't even received a vin yet, like most of us with GT orders, then I would be surprised if your dealer tells you its too late.

Edited by CoolScoop

On 9/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi msm. Again, I agree with the philosophical part of what you are saying.  ?

I have factory ordered every car of mine since my second car in 1976. Only my first car, which was a 15 year old hand-me-down from my older brother (but still greatly appreciated, since I was a newly licensed 17 years old), was not factory ordered. Most times I did not need to leave a deposit, because the Dealership already knew me from my prior purchases. But sometimes I needed to put down a small deposit, since my old Dealerships had closed over the years.

On a related note, it is not illegal in California.  It all depends on how the purchase contract is written. A purchase contract that requires a deposit will state whether the deposit is refundable or not, and under what circumstances it may or may not be refundable.  And it is a binding contract. Even in California.  ?

A short, very simplified explanation of why it is not that crazy to ask for deposits, from a Dealerships  point of view: They have to pay interest on loans for the cars they have sitting on their lots, until the car is sold and they can pay back the loan. Now they factory order a car for you or me on good faith, with the agreement that we are going to buy it when it is delivered. If we just decide once it arrives that we do not want it anymore, then the Dealership is stuck with a car they did not want. And they are stuck with it, paying interest on the loan, until they can sell it. Now imagine more than a few buyers feel free to factory order and then back out, since they just felt like ordering a car and then changed their mind, sticking a Dealer with extra unsold cars that they were not expecting in their inventory. Yikes!

Also, thanks for understanding I was only trying to explain some of the details.  Here's to hoping Guards Red can get this taken care of to his satisfaction.  Good luck msm.

So I agree that the Guards Red's Dealer will probably work with him and not keep a deposit.  But we can not guarantee that.

Dealers get floorplan assistance that covers 3-4 months of interest.  On top of that, I would NEVER put down a non refundable deposit.  What if Inget injured.. what if I lose my job..  what if the car comes in damaged etc.  No way would I agree for them to keep MY money.

And if it IS refundable, then why put it down at all since at any time you can get it back.

There are far too many dealers out there.. if one requires it, I go to the next.  

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Dealers get floorplan assistance that covers 3-4 months of interest.  On top of that, I would NEVER put down a non refundable deposit.  What if Inget injured.. what if I lose my job..  what if the car comes in damaged etc.  No way would I agree for them to keep MY money.

And if it IS refundable, then why put it down at all since at any time you can get it back.

There are far too many dealers out there.. if one requires it, I go to the next.  

Hi blwnsmoke. Not sure why you are quoting me.  I essentially agree with most of what you say. And I am not sure what there is to disagree with concerning my advice to Guards Red (the OP) that, to paraphrase,  "You need to check with your dealership to see if you can change the color or cancel your contract without losing your deposit (if applicable). We cannot answer the question accurately". You, me or anyone else can not tell him if it was too late to change or cancel the order and/or how it may affect any deposit that may have been involved. Perhaps he did not even put down a deposit and this is all a pointless discussion over a moot point. We do not know.

As I stated in my reply that you quoted, my explanation was "A short, very simplified explanation of why it is not crazy for deposits, from a Dealerships point of view". I was merely answering questions/opinions given by msm859. I was not giving a full lecture on all the Dealership financial ramifications and possibilities, since it is actually sort of irrelevant to the OP's question.

As to your points/questions your questions (briefly): First, there are contingencies for things like damage on delivery etc, since that would be a case of the Dealership not fulfilling the contract, not the buyer. And yes, Dealers get floorplan assistance, but they still do not want to be stuck with cars they did not plan on having on their floorplan. And keep in mind we are not discussing just one car.  Cancelled orders could wind up adding up to dozens of cars (or more) over the course of a year. That adds up. And 3-4 months may not and probably will not cover the full cost of how long they may be stuck with a vehicle/vehicles.  This is simple stuff and really has little relation to the OP's question about changing his order color.

There is nothing strong with all of us expressing our opinions as to how we feel about leaving deposits, but none of our opinions about deposits answer his original question.

Really, the bottom line is...Since you, I, we do not know the specifics of Guards Red's order contract or where his vehicle is in the scheduling process, we can not answer his question as to whether it is too late to change the order color or cancel it.  Therefore, the best advice for him is still to check with his Dealership, not us.

Again l hope that makes my replies clearer. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530