2019 Edge Titanium Lane Centering Performance

realworld

I now have 7K+ miles on my ‘19 Edge Titanium. While I’m satisfied overall with the car, I’ve been really disappointed with the performance of the “lane centering” function that’s included with optional adaptive cruise control. Let me explain.

First, my only previous experience with lane centering was on a 2019 Kia Optima sedan that I drove several hundred miles. That experience was excellent, with the centering function so smooth and seamless that I was compelled to briefly remove my hands from the steering wheel to see if the system was actually functioning. It was. Like the Edge, lane centering on the Kia was mated to adaptive cruise, and was switchable off/on.

My Edge is a totally different story. When active, steering is noticeably tugging left and right and this becomes really tiring. The vehicle “ping-pongs” from left lane edge to right lane edge, never really ‘centering’ the vehicle. And forget about even lightly banked freeway curves, totally ineffective at keeping the vehicle centered.

i’ve considered whether this is Ford’s way of making darn sure the driver keeps their hands on the steering wheel. If so, this effectively neuters the system’s capabilities. Or is this just darn poor execution?

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Throughly agree. As the owner of a 2019 Titanium I had never driven a “lane keeping” car before. After driving mine for awhile I have found that it is better than nothing but does ping pong in curves. I would never trust my life to the system but  if it saves me from one accident I will take it.    

This is interesting.  A couple of weeks ago, we recently took delivery of a 2019 Edge SEL with Co-Pilot360 assist.  It has lane-keeping.

On a trip, I switched on the adaptive cruise control.  I noticed once in a while I found myself hitting the rumble strips on the right side just over the white lane.  I dismissed it as inattention or driving a new vehicle or old age.  But, I never had this problem in the 2017 Escape Titanium I had previously.  I drove the same route (through Canada) a couple of months ago in my 2012 Focus SE.  I never hit the rumble strips.

I might keep the adaptive cruise control off and see if I still have the problem.

This is my wife's vehicle so I drive it infrequently mostly around town without the adaptive cruise control or lane-keeping.

14 minutes ago, retmustang said:

This is interesting.  A couple of weeks ago, we recently took delivery of a 2019 Edge SEL with Co-Pilot360 assist.  It has lane-keeping.

On a trip, I switched on the adaptive cruise control.  I noticed once in a while I found myself hitting the rumble strips on the right side just over the white lane.  I dismissed it as inattention or driving a new vehicle or old age.  But, I never had this problem in the 2017 Escape Titanium I had previously.  I drove the same route (through Canada) a couple of months ago in my 2012 Focus SE.  I never hit the rumble strips.

I might keep the adaptive cruise control off and see if I still have the problem.

This is my wife's vehicle so I drive it infrequently mostly around town without the adaptive cruise control or lane-keeping.

Note that “Lane Keeping” is NOT the same as “Lane Centering”. Lane Centering is part of adaptive cruise control and can be turned off while continuing to use adaptive cruise. The switch is in the group of buttons for cruise control on the steering wheel. Check your manual for info.

Meanwhile, “Lane Keeping” is a basic standard feature and can itself also be turned off (switch at end of turn signal stalk). 

HTH.

• 1 month later...