2020 Porsche Taycan Finally Debuts

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/04/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-official-reveal-photos-specs/

Photography: Christoph BauerPostproduction: Wagnerchic â www.wagnerchic.com

Photography: Christoph BauerPostproduction: Wagnerchic â www.wagnerchic.com

After years of concepts, teasers, spy photos and rampant speculation, the 2020 Porsche Taycan is here. Although Porsche has been building hybrids for years now (including the 918 Spyder supercar), this is Porsche’s first foray into the world of EVs. It’s new and exciting ground for the German automaker, one many (including all of us here at Autoblog) are quite excited for. The Taycan Turbo and Turbo S will go on sale later this year, with other trims and a wagon variant based on the Mission E Cross Turismo concept following sometime in the next year. 

Yes, despite containing no internal combustion engine to attach a turbocharger, Porsche is using the Turbo and Turbo S names for the Taycan. Porsche says it's using the name so customers can equate it to top-level trims on its other vehicles, but we still think it’s a little dumb. In terms of size, the Taycan slots below the Panamera and is roughly the same size as a BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class or Tesla Model S. The design is nearly identical to the Mission E concept we saw a few years back.

Both Taycan models are fully electric, sending power to both axles courtesy of a pair of permanently excited synchronous electric motors. These are expensive to use, but Porsche says the benefits — a compact design, good power density and good heat management — outweigh the increased cost. The front axle uses a single-speed gear set with an 8:1 ratio. The rear axle uses a two-speed transmission, an unusual trait for modern EVs. First gear is used for acceleration. The Taycan shifts around 62 mph, and top speed for both models is 162 mph.

The Turbo and Turbo S both make 616 horsepower. Using an “overboost” function, the Taycan can make up to 670 horsepower, while the Turbo S sends up to 750 horsepower to the wheels. Peak torque is 626 and 774 pound-feet respectively. The torque split is fully variable between the two axles. The Taycan hits 60 mph in 3.0 seconds in the Turbo and 2.6 in the Turbo S.

Porsche cites a range for the Taycan of 450 kilometers (280 miles), though no official EPA test number is available yet. Like most pure EVs, the Taycan’s lithium-ion battery pack is mounted on the floor in a “skateboard” setup. At the back, the battery forms a “T” shape with cutouts in the floor to increase backseat foot room. Total battery capacity is 93 kWh. The Taycan uses an 800-volt charging system as opposed to the 400-volt setup in most other EVs. This drastically reduces charging times, though the 270 kWh peak is still limited by the battery. Porsche expects that to improve to 400-500 kWh as technology improves. In optimal conditions, the Taycan can go from 5 percent to 80 percent in 22.5 minutes. That is limited by temperature and the charging infrastructure.

19 minutes ago, twintornados said:

You lost me at "analog"...that is just a "bone" being thrown to the "purists" and ranks right up there on the pathetic scale along with the "turbo" moniker.....dumb!

I'll guess that you didn't bother to look thru the manual that I posted the link to, that's not the only lap timer available to view.

HRG

lap timer.JPG

2 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'll guess that you didn't bother to look thru the manual that I posted the link to, that's not the only lap timer available to view.

HRG

Oh, no..I did, apparently you missed the fact that the lump of plastic on the top of the dash is, in my personal opinion, as useless as a pile of dog shit on the dash...which, again in my personal opinion, looks exactly as I just previously described. 

The interior is quite excellent... love it.  The exterior, ehhhhh.

It's well done, and has a very high quality look to it.... but it's a very boring, uninspired quality.

4/10 WOW factor.

Starting MSRP at launch for the Taycan Turbo is $153,510, though it will eventually drop back to $150,900. The Turbo S will sell for $187,610 at the outset, with the price eventually settling at $185,000.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Edited by probowler