Sync or apim

dkingcan

Recently purchased a 2015 mkc. Sync kept shutting down and performing system maintenance. This went on for about 2 weeks. Now complete blank screen. Between tach and speedo in info center. It says audio off. Also have no ambience lighting in vehicle. Anyone know if this is the sync unit or apim or just a reflash to sync. Help would be greatly appreciated. Before I end up taking to dealer.

27 minutes ago, dkingcan said:

Recently purchased a 2015 mkc. Sync kept shutting down and performing system maintenance. This went on for about 2 weeks. Now complete blank screen. Between tach and speedo in info center. It says audio off. Also have no ambience lighting in vehicle. Anyone know if this is the sync unit or apim or just a reflash to sync. Help would be greatly appreciated. Before I end up taking to dealer.

Hi dkingcan.  Really no definitive way of diagnosing this over the Internet. All we can do is guess.  If one of us guesses right, it was still only a guess.  It will need to be properly diagnosed at your Lincoln Dealer.

Before taking it to the Dealer, you could try a factory reset of SYNC.  The instructions on how to perform one for your 2015 MKC are in your Owners Manual. If that does not work, you can also try disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset the system. If neither of those work, a service visit is necessary.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, dkingcan said:

Thank you. I can’t factory reset. Screen is black. No way to access menu. Have tried disconnecting battery. When reconnected. I get am radio static in speakers. Which lasts for about 2 minutes. Screen never lights up   Always black. 

Hi dkingcan.  Then it looks like your best course of action is to make a service appointment. Any chance you are still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty period or have an PremiumCare ESP?

My blind Internet guess would be a bad APIM, since that seems to be the most common culprit.  But blindly throwing parts at the problem without a proper diagnosis could be expensive and frustrating.

If another member with more experience has better advice, I am sure they will jump in.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks for help. Out of warranty. Have an appointment Wednesday.  Thought I would get a jump on things have mouldings off and screws exposed to take out center nav screen. Save on some labor. Can’t find anywhere on internet on how to get at the screws to release whole center unit.  2 screws under speaker grill were easy to find. Can you point me somewhere of the year down to get unit out. Thanks

24 minutes ago, dkingcan said:

Hi. Thanks for help. Out of warranty. Have an appointment Wednesday.  Thought I would get a jump on things have mouldings off and screws exposed to take out center nav screen. Save on some labor. Can’t find anywhere on internet on how to get at the screws to release whole center unit.  2 screws under speaker grill were easy to find. Can you point me somewhere of the year down to get unit out. Thanks

Hi dkingcam.  This video is for an MKZ, not an MKC, but see if it helps with any fastener locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=M_AuGTOeO1A

I searched for MKC specific videos, but could not come up with anything.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks.  Seen that video. Kinda the same .Managed to get it done 2 screws under speaker grill. You do have to take off the side pieces on both sides of console.  Then the curved plastic piece at front of console. There are 2 7mm bolts there. Not an easy task. With no instructions it took me about 3 hours. So now we will see what they say at the dealership.