August Sales?

You may want to change the title to August Sales.....

FCA Estimate........215, 425 (+10.7%)
Ford Estimate........210,996 (-3.1%)
GM Estimate..........288,500 (+20.1%)

GM's August 2018 was down compared to August 2017 so August 2019 is an up month.
Ford on the other hand is a 3% drop over 2018 and slightly more than 2017
FCA is clearly on the upward trail, clearly supplanting Ford for second spot.

August sales.........2019..................2018.......... ......2017
GM....................288,500..............240,236 ............275,552
FCA....................215,425.............194,668 ............177,122
Ford...................210,996.............217,700 ............209,029

individual sales numbers are incredibly hard to come by now as all three no longer report monthly sales

so it might take a week or so for a few things to filter through (hopefully RMC is on the job..:) )

Ram has better interiors (by far)..hoping ford F series gets some interior update in 2020..new escape looks like a mazda...i bet soon ford starts to float a merger.....nothing on ford lot to drive me there outside of a new f350 i am wanting but they quickly need to pick up there game on interior quality...plastics still feel like my old ranger from 30 years ago

1 hour ago, snooter said:

..nothing on ford lot to drive me there outside of a new f350 i am wanting but they quickly need to pick up there game on interior quality...plastics still feel like my old ranger from 30 years ago

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Are we seeing signs that Ford, GM and FCA are selling into a market that's filling up, the latter two using more incentives

or is this just the market leveling off, maybe settling a bit to a more sustainable pace.....Thoughts?

The only thing to take down trucks is gas prices...right now that is not even on the horizon....not sure what market you are refering too but truck sales show no sign of slowing....ford is only behind the curve on truck interiors...

The only thing preventing surge in ranger sales is gas prices...other factor you could argue for lack of sales is price point too high for what you get...pushing loaded rangers initially may not have been the right choice....

Edited by snooter

So basically the loss is a result of Focus being killed off and the Explorer switchover.

Not really a major problem...

and F Series down about 6,000 from August 2018 (81K)

Must be all those Ranger sales.......rolleyes.

Nautilus.............3,105 (good month)

Navigator............1,607

Aviator...................447

Expedition.........7,087 (strong sales)

Escape............23,138 (Going through the change)

Edge................14,510 (Up 25%)

F Series..............75,464 (Just wow...)

Ranger..................9,818 (Up significantly)

Transit................16,925 (+33%)

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, snooter said:

The only thing to take down trucks is gas prices...right now that is not even on the horizon....not sure what market you are refering too but truck sales show no sign of slowing....ford is only behind the curve on truck interiors...

The only thing preventing surge in ranger sales is gas prices...other factor you could argue for lack of sales is price point too high for what you get...pushing loaded rangers initially may not have been the right choice....

With respect, it's not about gas prices, they are actually the last nail in the coffin.

the whole thing is spinning on easy credit and lowish interest rates.

So many vehicles now are being financed with optimistic residuals to keep repayments down,

manufacturers want people turning their vehicles over every three or four years...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

With respect, it's not about gas prices, they are actually the last nail in the coffin.

So many vehicles now are being financed with optimistic residuals to keep repayments down,

manufacturers want people turning their vehicles over every three or four years...

6 month leases are being done...what % i do not know...evidently for new coolness factor its a thing.....

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

and F Series down about 6,000 from August 2018 (81K)

Must be all those Ranger sales.......rolleyes.

Nautilus.............3,105 (good month)

Navigator............1,607

Aviator...................447

Expedition.........7,087 (strong sales)

Escape............23,138 (Going through the change)

Edge................14,510 (Up 25%)

F Series..............75,464 (Just wow...)

Ranger..................9,818 (Up significantly)

Transit................16,925 (+33%)

Expedition selling at half the rate of Edge is impressive (and very profitable for Ford). Edge sales last month responding to hefty incentives.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

But have used vehicle resideuals held up better than many of the forecasts? Ford credit profits have been good.

Question to you (or anybody) how has RAM been doing since the change to quarterly reporting?  

1 hour ago, Dequindre said:

Not a bad month for Ford, all things considered. The loss of Focus volume alone can nearly explain the decline (and that's not even taking into account the Explorer, C-Max, and Taurus). 

I see good things ahead for Ford sales given all the new & important product coming. The only question is how disruptive is the F-150 change over on inventory/availability. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AlexB said:

But have used vehicle resideuals held up better than many of the forecasts? Ford credit profits have been good.

Question to you (or anybody) how has RAM been doing since the change to quarterly reporting?  

I see good things ahead for Ford sales given all the new & important product coming. The only question is how disruptive is the F-150 change over on inventory/availability. 

Better than last time.

They won't have to rebuild the plants to aluminum this go around. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I see good things ahead for Ford sales given all the new & important product coming.

The only question is how disruptive is the F-150 change over on inventory/availability. 

As said above, the major changes were made with changeover to Aluminum, hybrid F150

and BEV F150 will most likely be built down the same production lines as if just another F150.

The big disruptor will be the 7.3 V8 across the board in Super Duty and the new F600 Truck 

If those changes hit their marks, Ford could have a serious problems keeping up with demand.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I'll have to look at the current residuals for Ford's leases but historically they're competitive or slightly on the conservative side. And don't even bother to look at Mustang residuals as Ford does not want to lease Mustangs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Expedition selling at half the rate of Edge is impressive (and very profitable for Ford). Edge sales last month responding to hefty incentives.

The 2019 Edge is doing very well for us the past 3 months and is also a good alternative to those that don't need the Explorer's 3rd row seat. Strong demand for 2019 Edge Titanium AWD''s w/Titanium Elite Package which we're having trouble keeping in stock. We're in CT and buying Edge Titanium's from dealers in PA to meet demand. Unfortunately, a number of customers buying or leasing the 2019 Edge ST's are complaining about the ST's seats. 

Changes for the 2020 Edge should help grow sales even more with increased availability of the SE AWD which includes more standard equipment at an even more attractive price point.  

• Like 1