August Sales?

12 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

Toyota owners will buy Yota no matter what.....

So true -and I can't for the life of me figure out how that works- just mind boggling.  The Chevy Colorado/Canyon and in my opinion the Ranger as well are clearly a better trucks, yet the Yoda doubles them in sales - at least.  There is this emotional side of the auto business that I am glad I have no part in trying to figure out. 

Edited by Kev-Mo

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Toyota is the market leader.  No question.   Current Ranger is a calculated stop gap solution - they chose to put more resources into the next gen and limit the investment in the current gen.  That should pay off big in 2 years with more engine options and more configurations.   Given what Ford has done with F series compared to Tundra I guess the question would be what do you think Toyota will do with Tacoma that Ford can't match or outdo from a feature/styling/performance perspective?  They could do a hybrid or BEV if the market dictates.

There is only so much Ford can do - Toyota loyalists will buy Tacomas no matter what.  Ford just has to build the best Ranger they can and ensure good profitability.  If that means they take over #1 in sales, great.  If not then so be it.   Profitability is more important than sales.

Same for F series.  I'm not sure what else they can do beyond improving the interior (which we've already seen) and adding more powertrain options including hybrids and BEVs (also already planned).

You act like there is something Ford is not doing or that they're ignoring the competition but I don't see where that is the case.   If other companies are willing to buy market share at the expense of profit there isn't much Ford can or should do about that long term.

Heck, all they have to do is add the tech F-150 has (backup trailer knob, BAMR, etc.) with the next gen Ranger and they'll be set and it'll be a matter of time.

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

You act like there is something Ford is not doing or that they're ignoring the competition but I don't see where that is the case.   If other companies are willing to buy market share at the expense of profit there isn't much Ford can or should do about that long term.

You make me chuckle sometimes Kirby - I am not 'acting' anything.  I am simply calling balls and strikes.  Ford has nothing to brag about profit wise of late -they are far from industry leader there.  I give them credit for staying in the black in an insanely competitive and fickle market.  F-Series - great job over time.  Hard to stay on top.  Even the Yankees and Patriots don't win all the time.  Dodge has momentum and is gaining though....

FCA is killing it because they have done a good job of convincing people their stuff is cool, even though the reliability and real world performance is not the best. Can they keep it up?  Don't know, but nobody here saw it coming a few years ago.  Toyota has a loyalty that any corporation would die for, I have no idea how they do it, most of their products are hideous to my eye, and far from class leading function and performance.  Ford is conservative - and always seems 3 years away from being really great.   I only drive Fords, that's just me, still loyal.

No acting or false statements above - just calling it the way I see it.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

I am simply calling balls and strikes. 

But you're not taking into account the score or the batter.   If it's the bottom of the 9th and you're up by 2 runs and you throw 4 balls to Mike Trout that's good strategy.

If the score is tied and you walk the opposing pitcher with the bases loaded that's terrible.

If the current Ranger was a clean sheet new design it would be disappointing.  Knowing that whatever they don't do to the current Ranger is helping them develop the new one and Bronco faster makes all the difference in the world. 

Now if the next gen Ranger and Bronco aren't best in class that will be truly disappointing.    But I don't expect that to happen.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

But you're not taking into account the score or the batter.   If it's the bottom of the 9th and you're up by 2 runs and you throw 4 balls to Mike Trout that's good strategy.

If the score is tied and you walk the opposing pitcher with the bases loaded that's terrible.

If the current Ranger was a clean sheet new design it would be disappointing.  Knowing that whatever they don't do to the current Ranger is helping them develop the new one and Bronco faster makes all the difference in the world. 

Now if the next gen Ranger and Bronco aren't best in class that will be truly disappointing.    But I don't expect that to happen.

Poor choice of words haha.  Either that or I'd hate to see the slow version haha.

52 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Poor choice of words haha.  Either that or I'd hate to see the slow version haha.

Just watched a video about the new Defender.

"It's been 3 years since the last Defender was put out to pasture and this new one has been in development long before that."

Things take time, it's not a clock radio.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Well if you take resources away from a late project it will probably be even later.  But yes both Ranger and Bronco are 2-3 years later than they should have been.

2 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

Just watched a video about the new Defender.

"It's been 3 years since the last Defender was put out to pasture and this new one has been in development long before that."

Things take time, it's not a clock radio.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Well if you take resources away from a late project it will probably be even later.  But yes both Ranger and Bronco are 2-3 years later than they should have been.

It was just a poke at Ford's 2017 to 2021 timeline from announcement to production model of Bronco.  I know the reasons, and I'd rather have it done right than fast just to be out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It was just a poke at Ford's 2017 to 2021 timeline from announcement to production model of Bronco.  I know the reasons, and I'd rather have it done right than fast just to be out.

I know I was pretty vocally upset with the delay, but I've heard some things in the last week or 2 and let me say, as irritating as it is the delay is worth it. It's going to SLAY the competition. 

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I also agree about that I would rather it be done right than rushed and messed up or ruined. I forget, are you insider/work for Ford or know some sources. Sorry for asking again.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

New Bronco has a lot of Gen 1 styling in it, a complete departure from  renderings that all look like Bronco II.

I figured it would have the Gen 1 styling and I'm glad it looks different than the Bronco II renderings (you mean Baby Bronco?) that I'm guessing you meant shown by Ford at dealers conference some time ago. I was concerned that the Bronco would have Gen 1 styling but a bit feminine while the Baby Bronco would be even more feminine in styling. But I'll see how the reveal goes sometime next year (I'm guessing Detroit Auto Show in June 2020).

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I know I was pretty vocally upset with the delay, but I've heard some things in the last week or 2 and let me say, as irritating as it is the delay is worth it. It's going to SLAY the competition. 

As I said above, I'm also glad that the delay is worth it if done right. What you just said though about what you had heard in the past few weeks actually gives me hope considering you work at MAP with the Ranger production where the Bronco will also be built. So I trust that you know some real good inside stuff so I'm giddy with anticipation of the news and reveal of the Bronco. :)

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Remember the 2005 Mustang?

that should alleviate your fears 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as in what was wrong about the 2005 Mustang? What were the fears and concerns fans had about the 2005 Mustang or did you mean 2015?

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So I was thinking there was a bigger lull by Colorado/Canyon.  It's also clear to see as Ranger exited the market, Tacoma started jumping rapidly.

image.thumb.png.1e182f93ba753dae026f2ffc54f8b2ef.png

What's far more interesting to me is the steady decline in Tacoma, Colorado and Frontier sales that correspond to the steady increase in the new Ranger sales since its introduction.

Edited by CoolScoop

12 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

What's far more interesting to me is the steady decline in Tacoma and Colorado sales that correspond to the steady increase in the new Ranger sales since its introduction.

What Tacoma numbers are you looking at? The 2019 numbers are only to-date, not a full year.

HRG