• Custom Search

bbf2530

New SYNC 3 NAV map update available!

Hi gang. There is now a new SYNC 3 NAV map update! WoooHooo! It is available here, from the Ford/ALOM Technologies SYNC/NAV site: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

Since I have a Lincoln MKZ, I downloaded my copy from the Lincoln/ALOM Technologies site for Lincoln vehicles equipped with SYNC3: https://syncnavigation.com/lincoln/home/

Here are my observations so far: Once I input my vehicle information, the site states the NAV map update is complementary for 2018-2019 MKZ's. There is no charge for the update for qualifying 2018-2019 Lincoln vehicles (and I would assume Ford? Will post back if I find out that information), if you download the files onto your computer and create your own USB drive to perform the NAV update. Or for a $40 fee, you can opt to have them mail you a USB drive containing the files. I opted to download for free and create my own USB update drive.

I have been told (but have not personally verified) that for 2017 Lincoln vehicles, there is a fee of $109 to download the update files, and $149 to have Lincoln mail the USB drive. I am assuming similar fees also apply to 2017 Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 and NAV.

It is a large file, >13Gb, so it is downloading onto my computer as I write this. After that, you unzip and transfer the files to a USB drive in a manner similar to a regular SYNC update, for those who are familiar with that process. They provide detailed downloadable instructions.
The instructions also state to plan on a 1 hour install, during which time the car/engine must be kept running. So I will install it tomorrow during a 2 1/2 drive I have to Penn State. Again, the website provides detailed, downloadable instructions for downloading the update files, creating the USB update drive, and installing the update to your SYNC system.

I will post back tomorrow night or Sunday and let everyone know how the install went on tomorrows drive.

You will need your VIN# and "SYNC ESN Serial Number". To get your SYNC ESN serial number, go to "Settings" on your SYNC screen. Then scroll down the screen and click on "About SYNC". Then be sure to scroll to the bottom of the next screen to get your "SYNC Serial Number (ESN)" number, not the "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)", which is listed first. You will understand why I gave those instructions when you go to the website and look at your SYNC screen settings info.

FYI: The current NAV Map file version in my 2018 MKZ is "NA 1 16". I am told this NAV version updates the NAV system to version "NA 1 18". I will also verify this information tomorrow night or Sunday, after I'm back home from my drive and install.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi gang. Here is my SYNC 3, NAV maps install update. 🙂

The install went smoothly. Just a few things to mention. First, I left out one step on how to find your "SYNC ESN Serial Number" on the SYNC settings screen. Click on the gear icon/"Settings button on your SYNC screen. Then click "General" (forgot that step earlier). Scroll down and click "About SYNC". Then be sure to scroll to the bottom of the next screen to get your "SYNC Serial Number (ESN)" number, not the "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN).

Okay, to the install. Just a few things to mention/warn about. My install began as the instructions detailed. So I settled in for my 2 1/2 hour drive, expecting the installation to take about an hour, as per the instructions. However, after about 5 minutes, the Installation Complete screen popped up for about 20 seconds (but then disappeared), stating that the install had been successful, I could remove the USB and the update would be complete once I performed a restart cycle of the car (as per the instructions).

I felt that was far too quick, so I left the USB in, kept driving and did not turn off the car. Then after a few minutes, SYNC rebooted and showed it was still performing System Updates. It would reboot occasionally. Show information screens, etc. About 30 minutes into the drive, the same thing happened. Stated install was complete, remove the USB, stop and restart the car etc., but the screen disappeared again after ~20 seconds or so.

I still felt that was too quick, so I left the USB in and kept driving. Same result, reboot, and System Updating began again. Occasional reboots, Information screens etc.

At about the 1 hour mark, the System Update successful screen popped up again, stating the install would be completed once I performed an engine stop and restart. I kept driving for several minutes, and this time the screen stayed visible and did not disappear.

I then pulled over and performed the required cycle of engine/ignition off (I also opened my door to turn off Accessory power), wait at least 15 seconds (I waited a minute), then restart.

After restarting, I went into SYNC settings to check my NAV maps version. It was successfully updated from version "NA 1 16" to "NA 1 18". WoooHooo!

So if there is a moral to this story, I guess it would be: Despite some early/false Install Complete screens, the install does seem to take ~1 hour. So don't rush it, be patient, and ensure the install is actually complete.

Hope this information helps and good luck. 🙂

Edited by bbf2530

On 9/7/2019 at 2:11 AM, Flying68 said:

Can confirm for 2017 Lincoln models it is $109 / $149.

Input my information for a 2017 MKZ - and was given the $109 Download / $149 Ship USB pricing.  It actually said $149 plus shipping.  Since I selected the download option, I don't know what the shipping cost is. 

Downloading took about 45 minutes for a 13GB file.  They must have really slow service on their end.   Typically files of that size will download in 5-10 minutes maximum from other sites.