Ford patents modular grille

http://fordauthority.com/2019/09/ford-patent-shows-slick-modular-grille/

Thought this patent was pretty interesting. Basically it lets you swap out parts of the grille and add accessories. Sounds perfect for police, construction workers or anyone that needs to add lights or other electronics to the grille. 

I wish they’d take this a step further and allow complete customization of the grille. The grille can completely transform the look of a vehicle. Giving people the option to buy additional grilles to easily swap out doesn’t seem like a bad idea and an extra way for ford to make money.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 5:54 PM, T-dubz said:

Thought this patent was pretty interesting. Basically it lets you swap out parts of the grille and add accessories. Sounds perfect for police, construction workers or anyone that needs to add lights or other electronics to the grille. 

I wish they’d take this a step further and allow complete customization of the grille. The grille can completely transform the look of a vehicle. Giving people the option to buy additional grilles to easily swap out doesn’t seem like a bad idea and an extra way for ford to make money.

Well, it definitely seems like a Bronco-centric idea.  But if successful, I could see it spreading to other models too (Raptors anyone?).

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, T-dubz said:

or LED spots on Rangers and Broncos...theres a HUGE aftermarket for this and bumpers...looks like ford has taken notice and wants part of the pie...

31 minutes ago, Deanh said:

or LED spots on Rangers and Broncos...theres a HUGE aftermarket for this and bumpers...looks like ford has taken notice and wants part of the pie...

Yup, that's what the patent shows.  I think it's a great move.  Especially since on Raptor Ford has the auxiliary switched installed already, they can just offer an integrated package from factory.

23 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yup, that's what the patent shows.  I think it's a great move.  Especially since on Raptor Ford has the auxiliary switched installed already, they can just offer an integrated package from factory.

I suspect they will utilize something like the upfitter switches avail in the larger pickups..FINALLY plug and play systems....

55 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I suspect they will utilize something like the upfitter switches avail in the larger pickups..FINALLY plug and play systems....

Yup, that's what I figure too.  Makes complete sense too.

The new Defender did something similar with a lot of pre-fit accessories available.

• 2 weeks later...