2020 Aviator Start Stop :-(

Icspres

I've had a new Aviator black label on order for months now. My built slot is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm just now being told by the dealer that it appears that the start-stop feature cannot be permanently disabled. We will very likely be turning the vehicle down and taking back our deposit when it comes in. What I'm hoping is that someone from Lincoln can give us some hope that there will be a software update down the road that will allow us to permanently disable the future. Thanks in advance.

That's a great idea. I wish I had asked the question about the option to permanently disable the start-stop when I was ordering the vehicle. I consider the Grand Touring model but my wife really doesn't need the added performance so it didn't seem to make sense the time. In this context it certainly does. I appreciate the comment and have immediately emailed my dealer to see if there's any way of changing the order at this late stage.

I would still rather have a way of permanently disabling it though without purchasing the Grand Touring package. If I even knew the software update was coming in a year or two, that would be good enough I think.

I just got a 2019 Nautilus with Start/Stop and at first I thought I would hate it, but now I've grown to love it.  This is my first Lincoln with the tech, but not my first Ford.  The system works much better than others I've used before on Fords and I've never turned it off.  The system operates almost imperceptibly, but the biggest difference is that the engine starts anytime you just twitch your foot on the brake pedal, so the engine starts well before you've even released the pedal.  That's different from the 2018 Ford systems which only start after fully releasing the brake.  The starter is extremely quick and it feels absolutely smooth, I don't feel like I'm harming anything.  I really would not consider this a problem at all, and fuel savings is noticeable for me.  On my 2018 MKX I was only getting around 19MPG, now I'm getting nearly 22MPG (the new AWD system and 8-Speed also has something to do with that).  

If you want to eliminate the Start Stop, in the Nautilus it turns off if you're driving in "Sport" mode.  I assume the same for Aviator with "Excite".  But the Aviator lacks a fixed button I believe, unlike the Nautilus.  And to my knowledge, all Fords at this point have Start/Stop standard which can't be permanently defeated...easily anyway.  

But go Hybrid if you want to avoid it altogether.  But I can't emphasize enough how much of a non-issue this really has become with better engineering.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

Personally, I actually enjoy keeping the engine off as long as possible when stopped, ha.  If you're running A/C, it does a better jog managing that as well, it will start up automatically if the A/C needs to run, but the system is well engineered enough to keep cooling even while the engine is off.  The automatic climate control sensor do their job making sure you don't feel a thing, which is also a big improvement over the Ford systems I've used previously.  I assume all Fords are being updated with the better systems. 

Edited by Assimilator

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

My sister is on her second Fusion (lease).  It’ll probably be her last, she can’t stand start/stop. (She also doesn’t like the rotary gear selector and keyless ignition). 

She doesn't like keyless ignition? I am looking forward to the day when I don't need any keys - Aviator now has that.  Or rotary gear selector?  How often is she shifting?  Only been in 1 car with start/stop - not a big deal.  If it saves 8% fuel I am all in.

The keyless ignition thing confounds me too - she doesn’t always carry a purse, and women don’t use pockets (when they have them) the same way men do.

How often does she use the gear shift? At least twice, every time she uses the car, usually more.  I had a loaner Fusion for a couple weeks when they first switched (I was actually switched from a 2016 to a 2017 as the 2016 was high on miles).  It’s honestly one thing that could keep me out of a Ford next round too. 

The start stop stop doesn’t bother me (though it is annoying at drive through, and  I often just turn it off anyway) but it’s her main complaint about her Fusion. Telling people “They’re holding it wrong” won’t sell cars.  I assume they can’t allow permanently turning it off without impacting the reported fuel economy. 

7 hours ago, Icspres said:

Okay so looked up forscan while watching my daughter's soccer game, inexpensive obd2 tool, great. 

Can anyone here confirm without a shadow of a doubt that forscan will permanently disable start-stop on a 2020 Aviator?

The 2020 Codes are completely different.  We have not found the right code yet for the 2020 Explorer but the Explorer and Aviator should be the same.  Once found, you will be able to disable it permanently.  It just may take some time before everyone figures it out.  It took 2 weeks just to find the damn "bulb out" coding so you don't get hyper flash changing to LED bulbs (Explorer doesn't have Led on the rear turn signals).

8 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I just got a 2019 Nautilus with Start/Stop and at first I thought I would hate it, but now I've grown to love it.  This is my first Lincoln with the tech, but not my first Ford.  The system works much better than others I've used before on Fords and I've never turned it off.  The system operates almost imperceptibly, but the biggest difference is that the engine starts anytime you just twitch your foot on the brake pedal, so the engine starts well before you've even released the pedal.  That's different from the 2018 Ford systems which only start after fully releasing the brake.  The starter is extremely quick and it feels absolutely smooth, I don't feel like I'm harming anything.  I really would not consider this a problem at all, and fuel savings is noticeable for me.  On my 2018 MKX I was only getting around 19MPG, now I'm getting nearly 22MPG (the new AWD system and 8-Speed also has something to do with that).  

If you want to eliminate the Start Stop, in the Nautilus it turns off if you're driving in "Sport" mode.  I assume the same for Aviator with "Excite".  But the Aviator lacks a fixed button I believe, unlike the Nautilus.  And to my knowledge, all Fords at this point have Start/Stop standard which can't be permanently defeated...easily anyway.  

But go Hybrid if you want to avoid it altogether.  But I can't emphasize enough how much of a non-issue this really has become with better engineering.  

I have never had a Ford that requires you to completely remove your foot off the brake for it to restart.  It has always started as I barely lift my foot off and completely restarted before I even get my foot to the gas pedal.

3 hours ago, Icspres said:

I'm not crazy about keyless either. Only reason cuz I'd rather have that key in the ignition than in my pocket where it can fall out. Of course the upside is the keychain doesn't bug you anymore. So it's a wash.

Unless it has been addressed, what I don't understand is there is no alert if you open the driver's door with the engine running. 

There was an instance where the person didn't realize the engine was running when he exited the vehicle and he died from carbon monoxide poisoning later.

I mean the tone will activate if the car is left in 'ignition on', so it should only be a simple software fix.

His keyless car killed him while he slept. New legislation could save others

5 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

The 2020 Codes are completely different.  We have not found the right code yet for the 2020 Explorer but the Explorer and Aviator should be the same.  Once found, you will be able to disable it permanently.  It just may take some time before everyone figures it out.  It took 2 weeks just to find the damn "bulb out" coding so you don't get hyper flash changing to LED bulbs (Explorer doesn't have Led on the rear turn signals).

Okay, thanks. So are you affiliated with Forscan? And there's 100% confidence? That you'll get this thing turned off? And then the other question is regarding warranty. It makes zero sense to me what my salesman said today about it voiding warranty, don't think she's tech savvy, clearly. But since she said it, I need to ask the question.

57 minutes ago, jniffen said:

There was an instance where the person didn't realize the engine was running when he exited the vehicle and he died from carbon monoxide poisoning later.

I mean the tone will activate if the car is left in 'ignition on', so it should only be a simple software fix.

His keyless car killed him while he slept. New legislation could save others

Many (if not all) modern Fords will turn off if left to idle (30 minutes?) and you don’t ok it continuing to run. 

11 hours ago, Icspres said:

Okay, thanks. So are you affiliated with Forscan? And there's 100% confidence? That you'll get this thing turned off? And then the other question is regarding warranty. It makes zero sense to me what my salesman said today about it voiding warranty, don't think she's tech savvy, clearly. But since she said it, I need to ask the question.

There will be a way to turn it off, I am 100% confident.  It is just a matter of finding it.  All it requires is changing a "1" to a "0" in a particular line of code.

Voiding warranty?  Lol, never...  it is no different than putting it in Excite mode.. or hitting the off button upon startup every time.  It does not do anything else and there is no way anyone could or would avoid your warranty on something the vehicle already does.

No I am not affiliated with Forscan but have used it many times.  

• Like 1