2020 Aviator Start Stop :-(

Icspres

18 minutes ago, Icspres said:

Fair enough. I freely admit my knowledge of mechanics is ancient and I figured I'd get an answer to this effect.

You’re overthinking it.  Give it a month and see if you get used to it.  If not there are 2 or 3 ways to disable it other than just turning it off.

5% to an automaker is HUGE.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

You’re overthinking it.  Give it a month and see if you get used to it.  If not there are 2 or 3 ways to disable it other than just turning it off.

5% to an automaker is HUGE.

I actually stopped thinking about it at all once my wife decided this was the car, that's why I stopped participating but piqued my interest again tonight for whatever reason.

I do think that that it's under thinking to keep reverting to the static analysis of how huge the 5% is to the automaker. We won't know for a decade whether the cost to the consumer far eclipses that 5%. Common sense tells me it will. But again I freely admit I could be wrong.

52 minutes ago, Icspres said:

I do think that that it's under thinking to keep reverting to the static analysis of how huge the 5% is to the automaker. We won't know for a decade whether the cost to the consumer far eclipses that 5%. Common sense tells me it will. But again I freely admit I could be wrong.

Thats not the point.  That 5% matters to the automakers because of CAFE compliance today.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Thats not the point.  That 5% matters to the automakers because of CAFE compliance today.

I'm not the one missing the point here, my friend. Everyone understands this. Every single person reading this thread realizes the start stop new EPA mandated (ostensibly) emissions equipment, or like me if they didn't before they do now. I'm the consumer. I care about what matters to ME, not the Auto Industry. If there were a single ICE car manufacturer producing cars that didn't have this crap, I'd be strongly prejudiced toward them because I think this tech is very likely a net negative for the environment as well as the consumer.

26 minutes ago, Icspres said:

I'm not the one missing the point here, my friend. Everyone understands this. Every single person reading this thread realizes the start stop new EPA mandated (ostensibly) emissions equipment, or like me if they didn't before they do now. I'm the consumer. I care about what matters to ME, not the Auto Industry. If there were a single ICE car manufacturer producing cars that didn't have this crap, I'd be strongly prejudiced toward them because I think this tech is very likely a net negative for the environment as well as the consumer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Better yet, the EPA should test ALL vehicles with ANY such mileage affecting capabilities in their worst case state (in this case, with start/stop set to off) regardless if it can be defaulted.  Then there would be more consistent ratings and the incentive for the OEM is to either force capabilities like this on the consumer or provide the off feature and take the rating hit.  (I’d call this better “truth in advertising”)

This goes to reinforce to me that people don't like change and people are idiots because they feel entitled to having things their way because they don't like change. Lots of bitching about something that actually saves you money. 

My wife's Escape has stop start and she doesn't even notice it anymore after having it for two years, I drive it (my car doesn't have it) and I barely notice it.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, gumpster said:

Better yet, the EPA should test ALL vehicles with ANY such mileage affecting capabilities in their worst case state (in this case, with start/stop set to off) regardless if it can be defaulted.  Then there would be more consistent ratings and the incentive for the OEM is to either force capabilities like this on the consumer or provide the off feature and take the rating hit.  (I’d call this better “truth in advertising”)

It's not good to force something like that with no way to turn it off temporarily.   There are times when you need it like making a very quick left hand turn from a stop. 

EPA already assumes worst case - if something can be turned off and left off when the vehicle restarts they test with it off.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's not good to force something like that with no way to turn it off temporarily.   There are times when you need it like making a very quick left hand turn from a stop. 

EPA already assumes worst case - if something can be turned off and left off when the vehicle restarts they test with it off.

I wonder if that could be programmed in, the Start-Stop does not activate if the turn signals are on?

HRG

I agree that it can be needed in some cases, but who is that fast at disabling it when truly needed or whom “knows” that they will definitely need it disabled (except when they just plain don’t like it).   My point is an argument as to why all such features should be tested as worst case REGARDLESS of whether it can be left off at restart.

I definitely was NOT recommending that it be forced on people as always on.  In fact, that’s what they are “basically” doing now.  My suggestion would allow the OEM to decide whether to provide a permanent off state since it would have zero impact to the EPA rating.  And the same for any other such “features”.

12 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I wonder if that could be programmed in, the Start-Stop does not activate if the turn signals are on?

It could be and that would be useful in my experience.  But you can also control it yourself with brake pressure.  It won’t activate with light brake pressure.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gumpster said:

I agree that it can be needed in some cases, but who is that fast at disabling it when truly needed or whom “knows” that they will definitely need it disabled (except when they just plain don’t like it).   My point is an argument as to why all such features should be tested as worst case REGARDLESS of whether it can be left off at restart.

I definitely was NOT recommending that it be forced on people as always on.  In fact, that’s what they are “basically” doing now.  My suggestion would allow the OEM to decide whether to provide a permanent off state since it would have zero impact to the EPA rating.  And the same for any other such “features”.

I hear what you’re saying but then there would be no reason to include such a feature in the first place if it doesn’t count towards CAFE compliance.

Sure there still would be.  It would allow for those wanting it to save fuel.  OEM could even charge for it, if desired...and for those not wanting it, the ability to either not have it or, at least to default it off, would be a competitive advantage for the OEM .  Those that want it, use it (or buy it, if that’s the OEM approach) and those that don’t want it, don’t have it forced on them (or have to look for a viable workaround...OR chose a competitor’s vehicle without it).  WIN, WIN for consumers and OEM!

We have been discussing this on the "Hitch Cover" thread.  Check out the installation video on autostopeliminator.com.  You can install a plug and play device on the Aviator for $100, 5 min installation and the device remembers your last setting and will automatically default to that on each ignition cycle.  I'm ordering their device for my mothers MKC, it plugs into the OBD port but works the same.

13 hours ago, gumpster said:

Sure there still would be.  It would allow for those wanting it to save fuel.  OEM could even charge for it, if desired...and for those not wanting it, the ability to either not have it or, at least to default it off, would be a competitive advantage for the OEM .  Those that want it, use it (or buy it, if that’s the OEM approach) and those that don’t want it, don’t have it forced on them (or have to look for a viable workaround...OR chose a competitor’s vehicle without it).  WIN, WIN for consumers and OEM!

Better yet - just do away with CAFE and let the market sort out fuel economy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have owned my Aviator for a little over 2 months and find the auto stop feature extremely irritating. I will check into the auto stop eliminator and see if they have something for us yet as it is a slight PITA to go through the screens every time I get in it.

1 minute ago, Sunny State said:

I have owned my Aviator for a little over 2 months and find the auto stop feature extremely irritating. I will check into the auto stop eliminator and see if they have something for us yet as it is a slight PITA to go through the screens every time I get in it.

Why don’t you try leaving it alone for a month and see if you get used to it?  I hated it the first time I experienced it in an Edge but with my F150 I got used to it quickly and now it actually bothers me when it doesn’t activate,

• Like 3

Well I have given it 2 months so it is not a knee jerk reaction to something different. Here in SW Florida most days the engine is off only a very short time before the thermostat turns it back on anyway even with a mild window tint plus I have 2 quick stops signs pulling out of my neighborhood before I get close to anything close to a mile without a stop so the 15-30 seconds the engine is off at a stoplight is just not worth it to me. 

It might be different if I was back in Iowa where the sun is not so intense.

How does the Aviator's Start /Stop works? Does it restart by your foot leaving the brake paddle or do you have to press the gas paddle?

I recent drove a Infiniti QX30 as as a loaner. It has the feature, and has a button on the dash to disable it. I tested it purposefully and it is very sensitive. Whenever the car is in a full stop, it turned on, you can see to tachometer turns into 0 and there is a indicator in the instrumental cluster light up. As soon as your foot let go the brake paddle, it started instantaneously, feels like you pressed the gas paddle too hard. Maybe I did. I can live wiht this set up.

10 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

How does the Aviator's Start /Stop works? Does it restart by your foot leaving the brake paddle or do you have to press the gas paddle?

I recent drove a Infiniti QX30 as as a loaner. It has the feature, and has a button on the dash to disable it. I tested it purposefully and it is very sensitive. Whenever the car is in a full stop, it turned on, you can see to tachometer turns into 0 and there is a indicator in the instrumental cluster light up. As soon as your foot let go the brake paddle, it started instantaneously, feels like you pressed the gas paddle too hard. Maybe I did. I can live wiht this set up.

Different from the Navigator. You only have to press the button on the console to disable. Here is the restart criteria for the Aviator:

AUTOMATIC ENGINE RESTART

Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:

• You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
  • You press the accelerator pedal. 
  • You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
  • The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
  • Your vehicle is moving.
  • The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
  • Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
  • The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
  • You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
  • When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
  • The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
  • When you shift into park (P), the engine will restart.

Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:

• You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
  • You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note:  You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.
DISABLING AUTO-START-STOP
Missing Image  Press the button on the instrument panel to access the Auto-Start-Stop feature on the touchscreen. Use the touchscreen to deactivate the feature. 
Deactivating the feature lasts only 1 key cycle. Use the touchscreen to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.

2 hours ago, Wheeling said:

That’s exactly how the Ford system works.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, Sunny State said:

i purchased the auto stop elimimator and it works great.   you get the notification that is off on the dash automatically every time you start the car but it goes away in couple seconds just like if you mannually turned it off.   easy installation per the video even though it talks about an explorer not aviator.  i guess most cars that have the single button to disable it, you can actually turn it off and on since the auto stop eliminator remembers the last setting but on the aviator once its plugged in its off for good.  you have to remove the devise to make the auto stop work again.  not an issue for me since i hate it so im extremely thankful that there is company that makes this device.  

• Like 1

I ordered the Auto Stop Eliminator and it came in the mail yesterday. 10 minute or so  installation even being really careful not to break any of the plastic tabs. I don't have any wire harness tape so I used a small zip tie to fasten it to the harness loosely and it works great! I could not be happier with the product and would highly recommend it to anyone that would like to disable this feature. If I worked at the Lincoln dealership I would inventory these things and do a great side business of installing them.