2020 Aviator Start Stop :-(

Icspres

5% benefit to the EPA City cycle fuel economy number is about right and it's huge. Some serious weight-shaving would be lucky to net 5%, and I can assure that costs more than putting the start-stop hardware. Not only stop-start is driven by CAFE standards, but also there's also a huge emission benefit which not many people care for, but one can argue that emission is harder to catch up than CAFE CO2 because at least you can buy CO2 credits from other OEM's while emissions is something you need to make up for one way or another. Ironically, the most effective way to reduce emission is dump a lot of fuel in the cold start to minimize incomplete combustion, so it actually hurts fuel economy.

There should not be a way to permanently disable start-stop because it is against EPA's rules. BMW was the only OEM up until 2018 to have the option to permanently disable, but in order to do that, they were forced to submit another fuel economy test with stop-start disabled and have a label that was the average between a test with S/S and without S/S. Ever since 2019, BMW joined the rest of the OEMs to enable S/S at every key cycle because it is just too costly to have this feature for only half-credit and gaining that extra 1 mpg gain on the city is too much to refuse.

Customers hate it, and yes, it will likely shorten your overall 12V battery life, but welcome to the era of regulations.

Edited by dlghtjr90
  • Like 3

After reading several posts on this board and doing a little research I ordered the AutoStopEliminator for $99.00. Installed in less than 10 minutes. Totally worth it. I understand that the auto/stop feature saves gas. It most likely causes wear and tear on your vehicle (starter motor, battery, etc). I find it annoying when the car shuts itself off. It is even more annoying that you have to remember to press two buttons to turn the auto/stop feature off every time you start the car. Would I eventually get used to it? Probably. But for a $100 and ten minutes of time, annoyance solved. Now my Aviator runs like every other car I have ever owned (meaning I decide when it starts and shuts off). I have also noticed that the auto/start stop feature is even more troublesome when used together with the auto/hold feature. The engine wont start until you press the gas pedal as opposed to starting as soon as you release the brake pedal.

I have owned my Aviator for a little over 2 months now. I have had some minor problems that the dealership quickly corrected. Which I expected being a brand new model year. I am still getting used to it, but overall, it is a beautiful vehicle with incredible features and comfort. IMHO.

• Like 1

Whether you use it or not, there are some desirable side benefits from AutoStop that help to maintain or even improve long term reliability... beefy high duty cycle starter, long life corrosion proof AGM battery, better bearings and special antifriction coatings throughout the engine, electric pump in the trany to maintain hydraulic pressure while the eingine is off, HVAC refinements to maintain temps when stopped, etc.  So AutoStop is far more than just some additional electronics and programming!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Whether you use it or not, there are some desirable side benefits from AutoStop than help to maintain or even improve long term reliability... beefy high duty cycle starter, long life corrosion proof AGM battery, better bearings and special antifriction coatings throughout the engine, electric pump in the trany to maintain hydraulic pressure while the eingine is off, HVAC refinements to maintain temps when stopped, etc.  So AutoStop is far more than just some additional electronics and programming!

Wow, very cool. I didn't know all that. 

I can easily keep our Fusion running anytime I want by easing up on the brake pedal slightly as soon as I come to a complete stop.  It doesn't take much and the brake still holds the car.  If I do let it shut off I can also restart it without moving anytime I want by easing up on the brake pedal.  It doesn't bother me at all anymore so I normally let it shut off... but it's super easy to prevent it whenever I want.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 3

My daughter took over the Fusion when she got her license and that's the only car she ever drove.  When I finally let her drive the Expedition to get experience in something bigger she asked why it wasn't shutting off at stops.  I told her they didn't have that feature when it was built and she said "I don't like it, feels weird and whats the point in leaving it run when its not moving"!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, for some reason, my computer logged me in under a user name I had for blueovalnews like 20 years ago as tony99cobra. This is my new user name now.  PM sent to norbert50p for autstopeliminator.

Has anyone tried one on a grand touring?  Does anyone know if it will cause the hybrid system to not function properly?  I left a message for the company.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...