Next Ranger with 2.7L V6 ?

While the 2.7L EB V6 would be a welcome "upgrade" to the existing 2.3L Ecoboost motor, I would be willing to bet that the redesigned Ranger for North America gets the 2.0L EB motor to replace the 2.3L. For fleet sales, Ford should consider a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4 cyl with a 6 speed automatic and a 3.55 rear gear. 

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

While the 2.7L EB V6 would be a welcome "upgrade" to the existing 2.3L Ecoboost motor, I would be willing to bet that the redesigned Ranger for North America gets the 2.0L EB motor to replace the 2.3L. For fleet sales, Ford should consider a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4 cyl with a 6 speed automatic and a 3.55 rear gear. 

I don't think a 6 speed is going to make  comeback with the 10A being in all RWD applications for the most part. 

I also don't think Ford is going to want to chase the stripper parts truck market with the Ranger, when a TC can do that and get better MPGs

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't think a 6 speed is going to make  comeback with the 10A being in all RWD applications for the most part. 

I also don't think Ford is going to want to chase the stripper parts truck market with the Ranger, when a TC can do that and get better MPGs

Ford sold a crap-ton of Rangers to Orkin that didn't lose money and kept the factories humming.
Image result for orkin ford ranger

But then, Ranger was discontinued and Orkin didn't jump to Transit Connect like everyone thought, instead, started buying Tacomas..

Image result for orkin toyota tacoma

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

But then, Ranger was discontinued and Orkin didn't jump to Transit Connect like everyone thought, instead, started buying Tacomas..

Nobody except some executives at Ford back in the late 2000s and early 2010s thought that Ranger customers including Orkin would replace their trucks with Transit Connect. Those same executives were making all sorts of excuses for not bringing a real replacement for 2011 Ranger to the U.S. and Canada markets. The Transit Connect nonsense was just one of them.

1 minute ago, rperez817 said:

Nobody except some executives at Ford back in the late 2000s and early 2010s thought that Ranger customers including Orkin would replace their trucks with Transit Connect. Those same executives were making all sorts of excuses for not bringing a real replacement for 2011 Ranger to the U.S. and Canada markets. The Transit Connect nonsense was just one of them.

Transit Connect is a good choice for fleet sales, just in this case, Orkin went to Toyota...

29 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Transit Connect is a good choice for fleet sales, just in this case, Orkin went to Toyota...

TC is a good fleet vehicle for its intended purpose. But it's not a good pickup truck replacement. Orkin and other former Ranger customers know that very well.

Maybe when Orkin's Toyota Tacomas are due for replacement, they will give Ford Ranger a second chance now that it's back in the U.S. market. 

45 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

TC is a good fleet vehicle for its intended purpose. But it's not a good pickup truck replacement. Orkin and other former Ranger customers know that very well.

TCs are often used for pest control contrary to your (once again) incorrect conclusions.

roswell-transit-wrap.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's fine and dandy, but doesn't change the fact that TC is not a substitute for a Ranger or any other pickup truck.

It definitely IS a substitute for the way many pickup trucks are used in fleets.  Can it replace ALL uses?  No. However, it can replace MANY uses of pickup trucks, and can probably replace 75-80% of fleet-use Rangers.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I do  believe the "bug exterminators" wanted no part of a vehicle that did not isolate the "load" from the driver. Not sure where I read that but it does make sense.  Why look  for trouble.

Not something I would have considered, but a very good point, even moreso in today's litigious sociaty.

36 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Not something I would have considered, but a very good point, even moreso in today's litigious sociaty.

That may have been true for a few businesses but not all as evidenced by my photo above.  I have seen TCs used with hazardous chemicals.  The TC work trucks I've been in do have barriers between the cabin and cargo.

I'm pretty sure Ford is very pleased with all the fleet buyers that it has retained with Transit Connect. The old Ranger was a hard sell towards the end and Ford had to basically give it away. Ford is definitely not giving away the TC now.

TC also has picked up new fleet buyers that were not interested in pickup trucks. So it's a net win for Ford as far as fleet market is concerned.

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

No atmo gas engines, no 6-speed auto. Engines and trans options will be a share with Bronco.

Bronco Raptor's engine is hiding in plain sight.....

57 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm pretty sure Ford is very pleased with all the fleet buyers that it has retained with Transit Connect. The old Ranger was a hard sell towards the end and Ford had to basically give it away. Ford is definitely not giving away the TC now.

TC also has picked up new fleet buyers that were not interested in pickup trucks. So it's a net win for Ford as far as fleet market is concerned.

TC also picked up E-150 sales-which it more or less replaced. The E-150 was one of those in betweener vehicles that was too big for smaller jobs (like a florist delivery truck) and the E-150 had a target on its back with CAFE regs. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

That may have been true for a few businesses but not all as evidenced by my photo above.  I have seen TCs used with hazardous chemicals.  The TC work trucks I've been in do have barriers between the cabin and cargo.

True. When I worked for the floor company I used to carry 2 propane tanks in the back of my van for the buffer. There was a barrier which was essentially an aluminum wall riveted to the body structure. 

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

It definitely IS a substitute for the way many pickup trucks are used in fleets.  Can it replace ALL uses?  No. However, it can replace MANY uses of pickup trucks, and can probably replace 75-80% of fleet-use Rangers.

You’re right it can replace many uses of pick-up trucks, but sales numbers over the years indicate it hasn’t. 

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I guess Orkin didn't get the memo.

The big dogs (Orkin, Terminix. etc) pretty much, from what I've seen, stuck with trucks (some moved to the F150, but most went to other makes), but there are a lot of players in that market. I'm pretty sure that losing those truck sales didn't really hurt them any.