Next Ranger with 2.7L V6 ?

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

You’re right it can replace many uses of pick-up trucks, but sales numbers over the years indicate it hasn’t. 

I think the sales number indicates Ford didn't have to give away the TC for pocket lint like it did with Ranger.

If you eliminated all the fleets that bought Ranger because it was the cheapest thing Ford sold, then you are probably left with a sales volume that is not all that different from TC sales. so from Ford's perspective, TC was probably a very successful fleet product.

Napa Auto Parts for example, replaced their Ranger with Fiesta, Sonic, and other assorted B-segment hatchbacks... they didn't go with TC. But that just shows that they didn't really need a Ranger for parts runner. They had a bunch of Ranger because it was really cheap. They replaced them with the next cheapest Ford.

646a26_d4478b89402943a193d4257e829b36df.

BTW, found this hilarious photo

rawImage.jpg

Autozone , Advance, and Federated parts stores near me  have Colorados.  Although I can't understand why the TC hasn't taken off with the auto parts houses.  No need to worry about wet boxes. 

I for sure can understand why exterminators would not want anything but a pick up bed..  In particular if their people are mixing up "treatments" from open boxes/bags.  I do believe the last Ranger that went down the line at TC was an Orkin. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I do believe the last Ranger that went down the line at TC was an Orkin. 

Yes sir, the 2 final Rangers built at Twin Cities Assembly were given to Orkin. One is an exhibit at Orkin's headquarters in Atlanta. The other was used by Orkin as a fleet vehicle for its business, but it was involved in a traffic accident in Gainesville, Georgia and was totaled in 2014. https://www.powernationtv.com/post/what-happened-to-the-last-ford-ranger

Ford-Ranger-Orkin.jpg

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Autozone , Advance, and Federated parts stores near me  have Colorados.  Although I can't understand why the TC hasn't taken off with the auto parts houses.  No need to worry about wet boxes. 

I for sure can understand why exterminators would not want anything but a pick up bed..  In particular if their people are mixing up "treatments" from open boxes/bags.  I do believe the last Ranger that went down the line at TC was an Orkin. 

its pretty easy-a stripper Colorado is $21K while the TC starts at $24K. I know unit prices can be adjusted with fleet orders, but that is roughly a 13% price difference. 

12 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think the sales number indicates Ford didn't have to give away the TC for pocket lint like it did with Ranger.

If you eliminated all the fleets that bought Ranger because it was the cheapest thing Ford sold, then you are probably left with a sales volume that is not all that different from TC sales. so from Ford's perspective, TC was probably a very successful fleet product.

Napa Auto Parts for example, replaced their Ranger with Fiesta, Sonic, and other assorted B-segment hatchbacks... they didn't go with TC. But that just shows that they didn't really need a Ranger for parts runner. They had a bunch of Ranger because it was really cheap. They replaced them with the next cheapest Ford

This is a common misconception about why fleets bought Rangers.  They were dirt cheap.   My 1990 Ranger was $7995 which was super cheap at the time and I don't think that changed much over the years.

TCs are more expensive but are much more flexible and don't have as much competition so it can command higher ATPs and more profit.  Volume doesn't matter if you're not making profit and you're name isn't GM.

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

This is a common misconception about why fleets bought Rangers.  They were dirt cheap.   My 1990 Ranger was $7995 which was super cheap at the time and I don't think that changed much over the years.

TCs are more expensive but are much more flexible and don't have as much competition so it can command higher ATPs and more profit.  Volume doesn't matter if you're not making profit and you're name isn't GM.

I remember looking at a 2012 Ranger Super Cab on a Ford lot and the price was roughly as much as what my dad paid for his 1998 Ranger Super Cab-then again it was basically the same truck so. 

I know a common complaint about trucks is how expensive they are-my Father In law says this all the time-along with his friends. Trucks were basic transportation 20-30 years ago and they were cheap-now they are primary vehicles with all the bells and whistles on them. 

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I remember looking at a 2012 Ranger Super Cab on a Ford lot and the price was roughly as much as what my dad paid for his 1998 Ranger Super Cab-then again it was basically the same truck so. 

I know a common complaint about trucks is how expensive they are-my Father In law says this all the time-along with his friends. Trucks were basic transportation 20-30 years ago and they were cheap-now they are primary vehicles with all the bells and whistles on them. 

My loaded 95 Ranger had a 4 speaker am/fm cassette, power windows and manual hvac.  

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ours did too, except it was 4x4 and manual transmission. Kinda wish my dad kept it when the lease was up.

Mine was a 4x2 manual (supercab) with the 4.0L.   I wish I had kept mine also but I traded it for a 2000 Lincoln LS, then 2 Fusions before getting my F150.  So happy to be back in a truck.  Going later today to pick up some stone veneer for the new outdoor kitchen.   Can't do that in a Fusion.

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

Mine was a 4x2 manual (supercab) with the 4.0L.   I wish I had kept mine also but I traded it for a 2000 Lincoln LS, then 2 Fusions before getting my F150.  So happy to be back in a truck.  Going later today to pick up some stone veneer for the new outdoor kitchen.   Can't do that in a Fusion.

I once put 400lbs worth of topsoil bags in the trunk of my Focus. I desperately need a truck for some of the landscaping/construction projects I've been wanting to do for a few years now. 

Side note, those jump seats the ranger used to have were terrible. Looking back on it that was borderline child endangerment riding back there ?

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Side note, those jump seats the ranger used to have were terrible. Looking back on it that was borderline child endangerment riding back there ?

Its a torture device for adults-my dad still has his Ranger and I borrow it sometimes to go to the dump my father in law has in his town (open 7 days week and takes about everything!) and I get shoved back there so they can ride in the seats-then again they are both 72 years old LOL  

16 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

That's just quitter talk.

Like I said, 400lb of topsoil in the trunk of a 2008 Focus

Had about half that much in my Fusion this spring. 

Now that tree we ordered, that's gonna be a challenge. Might need to bungee it to the roof

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Haha 1