Ford details eletric European future at Frankfurt Auto Show

https://insideevs.com/news/369896/ford-three-new-plug-in-hybrids-debut/

ford-electrification-plan-for-europe-sep

Ford's appears to be fully committed to staying in Europe with a full range of electrified vehicles.

8 launching in 2019 and 17 by 2024.

Ford also confirmed for the firs time that both known Model E variants are slated for Europe - the Mustang inspired MACH E and the unnamed utility that Ford is planning to build at Flat Rock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

How long is the Mondeo sticking around for? Why the Wagon only? I thought they had the sedan as a hybrid already?

Mondeo sedan and hatch are still around in Europe but looks like Ford will discontinue the sedan hybrid (hence making it wagon only?)

For now, it looks like you can get Mondeo hybrid in both sedan and wagon in Europe.

Edited by bzcat

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford also confirmed for the first time that both known Model E variants are slated for Europe - the Mustang inspired MACH E and the unnamed utility that Ford is planning to build at Flat Rock.

Interesting that they didn't put it under the other BEVs..probably still at least four years away (CY 2023)

Mondeo sedan and hatch are still around in Europe but looks like Ford will discontinue the sedan hybrid (hence making it wagon only?)

For now, it looks like you can get Mondeo hybrid in both sedan and wagon in Europe.

Hybrid Mondeos are 5-door HB and S/W, there is no hybrid sedan in Europe

Traditionally, HB was popular in Northern Europe and Station wagon more so in southern Europe,

Edited by jpd80

27 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Interesting that they didn't put it under the other BEVs..probably still at least four years away (CY 2023)

Hybrid Mondeos are 5-door HB and S/W, there is no hybrid sedan in Europe

Traditionally, HB was popular in Northern Europe and Station wagon more so in southern Europe,

There is no 5 door Mondeo hatchback hybrid. They are either sedans or wagons. See page 44: https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/feature-pdfs/FT-Mondeo.pdf

Hatchback is available only with gasoline or diesel engine options.

Mondeo hatchback sales is concentrated in the UK where non-luxury badge large sedan sales are basically non-existent. So I think the hybrid sedan is selling abysmally in Europe (and UK in particular) so it is probably headed to the scrape heap. Hybrid wagon still makes sense in mainland Europe where Mondeo are mainly sold as wagon.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

There is no 5 door Mondeo hatchback hybrid. They are either sedans or wagons. See page 44: https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/feature-pdfs/FT-Mondeo.pdf

Hatchback is available only with gasoline or diesel engine options.

Mondeo hatchback sales is concentrated in the UK where non-luxury badge large sedan sales are basically non-existent. So I think the hybrid sedan is selling abysmally in Europe (and UK in particular) so it is probably headed to the scrape heap. Hybrid wagon still makes sense in mainland Europe where Mondeo are mainly sold as wagon.

Thanks for clearing that up, what was i  thinking, Ford never developed Mondeo 5 dr as a hybrid.

Looks like  hybrids are confined to higher trim levels but also heard that  reviews of 2.0 hybrid package wan't so great

Maybe Ford isn't hitting its target audience with hybrids, Ford seems to be thinking really premium pricing in Europe

and maybe that's something buyers are not embracing as much as Ford thought.

Edited by jpd80

Out of all this Ford noise about 2019 Hybrids, only ONE is actually available , the OLD Mondeo sedan. I understand the wording "launching" is the key, but both the Fiesta & Focus "MILD" versions are still in nowhere land.

And with the current impression of the OLD Mondeo Hybrid sedan being that it was never any good does not help that the face lift wagon gets the same OLD Hybrid tech. WTF Ford!!!!

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

No hybrid Mustang for Europe?

I wonder what their justification for that is? It can't be because "Mustang fans in Europe won't want a hybrid" because we're getting the Mach-E.

Maybe it comes down to capacity - between the demand for F150 and the Mustang domestically, maybe Ford doesn't want to ship any overseas at the outset of sales.

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Capacity at a plant that is shortly to stop building the Continental? It's possibly, I guess, but I'm pretty sure a Mustang hybrid would be more welcome here than an all electric SUV.

But the powertrain is being shared with Ford's most important product and maybe the Bronco?

7 hours ago, MKII said:

Out of all this Ford noise about 2019 Hybrids, only ONE is actually available , the OLD Mondeo sedan. I understand the wording "launching" is the key, but both the Fiesta & Focus "MILD" versions are still in nowhere land.

And with the current impression of the OLD Mondeo Hybrid sedan being that it was never any good does not help that the face lift wagon gets the same OLD Hybrid tech. WTF Ford!!!!

That's another US-market induced blunder. Hybrid is stuck with the 6 speed auto instead of the new 8 speed because Ford gave up on putting any serious money into Fusion.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

You do forget that the A10 is in the Mustang-which is a car

I've experienced that transmission in Mustang EcoBoost. It's a good traditional automatic. Good enough that it convinced me to buy a 2019 Ranger with the same transmission.

But the 10-speed is not best in class or the best Ford automatic. ZF 8HP is smoother and more responsive. Ford's Hybrid Power Split eCVT is also smoother and more responsive than the 10-speed. Great thing about a Power Split hybrid tranny is that it never gets caught flat footed and never ends up in the wrong "gear".

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

But the 10-speed is not best in class or the best Ford automatic. ZF 8HP is smoother and more responsive. Ford's Hybrid Power Split eCVT is also smoother and more responsive than the 10-speed. Great thing about a Power Split hybrid tranny is that it never gets caught flat footed and never ends up in the wrong "gear".

So we go from a 6 speed to CVT vs a 10 then 8 speed? Of course a CVT is going to be "smoother" but is is actually better?

Talk about moving goal posts...

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So we go from a 6 speed to CVT vs a 10 then 8 speed? Of course a CVT is going to be "smoother" but is is actually better?

The eCVT is a more technically advanced transmission than the 10 speed, but "better" is going to be hard to quantify for either they both are very good at what they do. The eCVT is more efficient, has lower driveline losses and allows the vehicle to operate more efficiently in use of energy. However it can't take a power load the way the 10 speed can which limits the uses in its current form.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The eCVT is a more technically advanced transmission than the 10 speed, but "better" is going to be hard to quantify for either they both are very good at what they do. The eCVT is more efficient, has lower driveline losses and allows the vehicle to operate more efficiently in use of energy. However it can't take a power load the way the 10 speed can which limits the uses in its current form.

I know that- but I was just making fun of how he kept moving the goal posts by going from different types of transmissions...

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I know that- but I was just making fun of how he kept moving the goal posts by going from different types of transmissions...

If there any "moving goal posts" here, it's your doing.

Answer to your question is yes. eCVT is better. As I mentioned previously, it's the best automatic transmission available in a currently produced Ford car globally.