Mach E battery range about 330 miles

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

But but but......Ford doesn't know how to make long range BEVs.  Only Tesla.

Give Ford some credit. They will finally accomplish in 2020 with Mach E what Tesla did in 2016: Offer a BEV with 600+ km AER (NEDC standard) to retail customers. Better late than never. And more new BEV models from any and all automakers is a great thing.

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Give Ford some credit. They will finally accomplish in 2020 with Mach E what Tesla did in 2016: Offer a BEV with 600+ km AER (NEDC standard) to retail customers. Better late than never. And more new BEV models from any and all automakers is a great thing.

Know what else they'll do that Tesla can't?  Make a profit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

They will finally accomplish in 2020 with Mach E what Tesla did in 2016: Offer a BEV with 600+ km AER (NEDC standard) to retail customers. Better late than never. 

And which year will Tesla finally accomplish what Ford have been doing for YEARS - make an annual profit?  Hmmmm?

• Like 1

The range is good. But not enough for me unless charging stations are spread around like gas stations. A regular trip I take is 350 miles in one day. 6 or 8 times a year I will put on 600 to 700 miles a day. So 330 miles with fast charging might make it for me in fair weather. But cold, especially below freezing is no go. A friend has a Tesla Model S, in warm weather he can get a solid 220 or so miles on a charge. When temps are in the 20s it is another story. He makes a trip to downtown Pittsburgh about once a month, about 150 miles. When it is in the 20s, using the heat, wipers on most of the trip, etc. he can only make it to the Pittsburgh airport where there are some of the Tesla superchargers, and then takes an Uber to downtown. There are chargers downtown that he can get to in warm weather, but cold is another story. With the hybrid I drive my refueling range in warm weather is just about 500 miles, and it drops to about 450 in the 20s. Ford is doing the wise thing by offering BEVs for those who they will work for, and hybrids for those who need to or want to go further between refuelings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lfeg said:

....... But cold, especially below freezing is no go. A friend has a Tesla Model S, in warm weather he can get a solid 220 or so miles on a charge. When temps are in the 20s it is another story.......

Henry Payne, auto writer for the Detroit News, owns a Model 3.  He's reported that battery range drops by 50% in the middle of a cold Michigan winter.

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Henry Payne, auto writer for the Detroit News, owns a Model 3.  He's reported that battery range drops by 50% in the middle of a cold Michigan winter.

Electric cars should have to disclose range for cold weather (such as zero degrees). If in fact efficiency is cut in half during cold weather, that is the effective range. So 165 miles for the Mach E. 330 miles is probably enough for me to replace a gas car but 165 isn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Electric cars should have to disclose range for cold weather (such as zero degrees). If in fact efficiency is cut in half during cold weather, that is the effective range. So 165 miles for the Mach E. 330 miles is probably enough for me to replace a gas car but 165 isn’t. 

The thing is that BEVs range can vary-you'll actually go further in BEV in colder conditions in stop and go traffic due to regenerative brake power. I was talking to a co worker who bough a used I3 (got it for like 20K and its only 2-3 years old I think) and he was saying that the car gets more range around town due to stop and go traffic and the lack of gearing that you have with a gas powered car on the open highway. 

He's driven from Central NJ to southern MD (south of DC) with it and stop at a free recharging station on I95 for about 30 minutes to recharge it so he can get back home to where he needs to go in MD. He said he uses the bathroom, gets a snack and watches movies while it charges-he had the BMW infotainment system hacked to play movies while he drives and had a USB stick with a shit ton of movies on-we had Borat and idiocracy on while we where driving to the test site where I work. 

He also has Solar, so the car is basically "free" to fuel up too

My wife said she'd be interested in a BEV since she drives less then 100 miles a day, but puts a shit ton of mileage on her car due to the nature of her work (she nearly has 40K on a 2017 Escape that will be 3 years old next year)...though I think she'll balk at the price of a Mach 1 LOL. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that BEVs range can vary-you'll actually go further in BEV in colder conditions in stop and go traffic due to regenerative brake power........

People who live in rural areas (me) can travel great distances without having to use their brakes.  Add zero degree winter weather and an old-fashioned ICE vehicle starts to looks petty darn good.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

My wife said she'd be interested in a BEV since she drives less then 100 miles a day, but puts a shit ton of mileage on her car due to the nature of her work (she nearly has 40K on a 2017 Escape that will be 3 years old next year)...though I think she'll balk at the price of a Mach 1 LOL. 

From that standpoint a BEV would be perfect for me since my commute to work is only 50 miles round trip, but there's nowhere for me to charge when I get here and that range wouldn't be enough for my annual trip to Glen Arbor. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

From that standpoint a BEV would be perfect for me since my commute to work is only 50 miles round trip, but there's nowhere for me to charge when I get here and that range wouldn't be enough for my annual trip to Glen Arbor. 

Yeah, she does alot of local driving around the area (25 miles or less one way) and could get away with using a BEV daily. Not sure if you have two vehicles or not, but you could always get a hybrid for the longer trips, which was her suggestion to me...I'm looking at Bronco Hybrid-I'd basically have to top off once a month with my current commute into work (26 miles round trip). A BEV would make more sense for her-we would eventually get solar and her maintenance costs would be cut back to brakes and tires for the most part. 

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

13,300 miles per year is high mileage.

I've had my Mustang 3 years and have put 26K on it. Pretty much no one drives it but me....and I'm on the road 30 weeks a year in my 18 wheeler.

Edited by 351cid
Clerification

4 minutes ago, 351cid said:

13,300 miles per year is high mileage.

I've had my Mustang 3 years and have put 26K on it. Pretty much no one drives it but me....and I'm on the road 30 weeks a year in my 18 wheeler.

Even though it is a "2017" he said it won't be 3 years old until next year - so they are putting on more than 13k per year.  We have a 2017 Explorer turned 3yrs old  in July and has 57k miles so @18k per year. I am looking to replace with a plug in hybrid something.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Know what else they'll do that Tesla can't?  Make a profit.

Remains to be seen. Ford's previous production BEVs, Ranger EV and Focus Electric, had low or no gross profit. Tesla by contrast currently has the most profitable BEV ever offered for retail sale. Munro and Associates did a teardown analysis and estimates gross profit margin on Model 3 to be 30%. Tesla's vertical integration and unsurpassed system integration capabilities accounts for this. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/16/munro-model-3-electronics-like-a-symphony-of-engineering/

BEVs do have a place. Back in the 90s and early 00s I drove a BEV pretty much every day. The '98 was old tech with a 40 mile range (27 in winter) with the old flooded lead acid batteries. The one I had before that was ancient tech (circa1975) but it did the job. It made sense for me back then due to several 5 mile and under trips per day. (And I loved the instant heat in the winter). If we want to reduce the use of carbon based fuels, hybrids are a big part of the picture.

50 minutes ago, averagengineer said:

No its 300 miles range EPA target. Ford said this numerous times and it;s literally on their US website. WLTP and EPA are different test cycles and not equivalent

Listen to the Autoline Daily broadcast (link in first post).  Probably a minute long.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Is battery degradation a thing in EV cars or have they figured out a way around that?

I have a phone for a few years and battery life goes from good to nonexistent in that timeframe.

I don’t know for sure but I know folks with 10 yr old Fusion hybrids that are still going strong.