Mach E battery range about 330 miles

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Is battery degradation a thing in EV cars or have they figured out a way around that?

I have a phone for a few years and battery life goes from good to nonexistent in that timeframe.

It is an issue, but It's not as bad as your phone because they manage how the batteries are charged and discharged, and they have a cooling system to protect them from heat.  

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah, she does alot of local driving around the area (25 miles or less one way) and could get away with using a BEV daily. Not sure if you have two vehicles or not, but you could always get a hybrid for the longer trips, which was her suggestion to me...I'm looking at Bronco Hybrid-I'd basically have to top off once a month with my current commute into work (26 miles round trip). A BEV would make more sense for her-we would eventually get solar and her maintenance costs would be cut back to brakes and tires for the most part. 

My wife will never be able to drive a hybrid, let alone ride in one. She can't even handle start/stop on the EcoBoost engines. 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Is battery degradation a thing in EV cars or have they figured out a way around that?

I have a phone for a few years and battery life goes from good to nonexistent in that timeframe.

As far as I know, there hasn't been a single ford battery, hybrid or BEV, that has had what they call an "end of life event" yet. 

20 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Remains to be seen. Ford's previous production BEVs, Ranger EV and Focus Electric, had low or no gross profit. Tesla by contrast currently has the most profitable BEV ever offered for retail sale. Munro and Associates did a teardown analysis and estimates gross profit margin on Model 3 to be 30%. Tesla's vertical integration and unsurpassed system integration capabilities accounts for this. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/16/munro-model-3-electronics-like-a-symphony-of-engineering/

So, making cars in a tent in a parking lot is what accounts for all that "vertical and system integration"??

13 hours ago, averagengineer said:

I mean I work on the Mach E. Should I believe the meetings im in or some random broadcast that has 0 internal Ford information. It's 300 miles EPA and 370 miles WLTP, I'm sure.

Thanks for the solid info. Please don't be discouraged by some of the posts around here, your info is always appreciated.

18 hours ago, averagengineer said:

I mean I work on the Mach E. Should I believe the meetings im in or some random broadcast that has 0 internal Ford information. It's 300 miles EPA and 370 miles WLTP, I'm sure.

I’m really looking forward to the Mach.  Love to have a long range sporty EV with a hatch for the wife.  Hoping we get to see it (finally) at LA.  I’m actually excited that Ford is embracing BEV.

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

So, making cars in a tent in a parking lot is what accounts for all that "vertical and system integration"??

No, the large lead in performance and efficiency accounts for that.  Peruse the Taycan range calculator. We’re talking for the regular $153k Turbo, which is essentially Model 3 sized on the inside, with a 95kWh battery, and the same 0-60 of 3.2sec will have an EPA range of about 220mi.  Porsche & VAG aren’t short of engineers or R&D investment and can barely outrun a $56k Model 3, while getting shorter range and weighing half a ton more.  I’m pulling for Ford, but also recognize (I own one), Tesla has a real demonstrable lead in tech.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-turbo/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, novanglus said:

No, the large lead in performance and efficiency accounts for that.  Peruse the Taycan range calculator. We’re talking for the regular $153k Turbo, which is essentially Model 3 sized on the inside, with a 95kWh battery, and the same 0-60 of 3.2sec will have an EPA range of about 220mi.  Porsche & VAG aren’t short of engineers or R&D investment and can barely outrun a $56k Model 3, while getting shorter range and weighing half a ton more.  I’m pulling for Ford, but also recognize (I own one), Tesla has a real demonstrable lead in tech.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-turbo/

But that should make you wonder what Tesla is sacrificing or ignoring to get that advantage.  It’s not like Porsche or a Ford engineers can’t tear one apart to see what they’re doing.  I doubt a Tesla will outhandle the Taycan or Mach E e.g.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

But that should make you wonder what Tesla is sacrificing or ignoring to get that advantage.  It’s not like Porsche or a Ford engineers can’t tear one apart to see what they’re doing.  I doubt a Tesla will outhandle the Taycan or Mach E e.g.

At one point Ford had a Model X in their test fleet they were doing a shakedown on. Not sure if it's still around, I haven't seen it driving around in a long time. 

1 minute ago, barney9014 said:

Tesla has a lot of irons in the fire.  Building vehicles is one of them.  

Musk seems to be easily distracted. The Model S is older than the Fusion, but Musk has essentially said they’re going to Crown Vic it. The S and X should be getting replaced, but they’re not going to do that. Now he’s distracted by the Y, then it’ll be the truck, then the roadster and at that point the S, X and 3 will be ancient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

At one point Ford had a Model X in their test fleet they were doing a shakedown on. Not sure if it's still around, I haven't seen it driving around in a long time. 

Bill Ford makes a point of driving competing products on his drive to the office.  I do know he drove some sort of Tesla for awhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Musk seems to be easily distracted. The Model S is older than the Fusion, but Musk has essentially said they’re going to Crown Vic it. The S and X should be getting replaced, but they’re not going to do that. Now he’s distracted by the Y, then it’ll be the truck, then the roadster and at that point the S, X and 3 will be ancient. 

You forgot the semi truck.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

As far as I know, there hasn't been a single ford battery, hybrid or BEV, that has had what they call an "end of life event" yet. 

I can vouch for that... our 2010 Fusion Hybrid was purchased new in August of 2019.  So it's 10 years old with 130K miles and no sign of battery degradation yet.... and It has the old style NIMH batteries.

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

I can vouch for that... our 2010 Fusion Hybrid was purchased new in August of 2019.  So it's 10 years old with 130K miles and no sign of battery degradation yet.... and It has the old style NIMH batteries.

You (and anyone else with an almost 10 yr old ford hybrid) should read this:

https://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/19361-my-instructions-on-restoring-the-hybrid-ev-function-on-the-ford-fusion-hybrid-approaching-the-89-years-mark/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sullynd said:

Tesla has limited capital to invest.  They don’t have an F-Series profit-machine to prop all the other lines.  3 and Y take priority because they’re the most important for the mission.  If Tesla has wanted to be a bit player, the could have stayed S and X only and been profitable and only worry about 1 platform.  However, the goal was to push EV adoption, and you can’t do that selling $100k vehicles.

Obviously the next gen tech in the Roadster, S, and X will be out late next year, as Tesla starts selling $200-250k Roadsters and $150k Plaid S and Plaid X models, again, according to Musk.  So, it will be hard to classify them as ancient, as they’ll be carrying the most advanced tech and performance available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, novanglus said:

Tesla has limited capital to invest.  They don’t have an F-Series profit-machine to prop all the other lines.  3 and Y take priority because they’re the most important for the mission.  If Tesla has wanted to be a bit player, the could have stayed S and X only and been profitable and only worry about 1 platform.  However, the goal was to push EV adoption, and you can’t do that selling $100k vehicles.

Obviously the next gen tech in the Roadster, S, and X will be out late next year, as Tesla starts selling $200-250k Roadsters and $150k Plaid S and Plaid X models, again, according to Musk.  So, it will be hard to classify them as ancient, as they’ll be carrying the most advanced tech and performance available.

Elon could give two craps less if he sells more cars, he wants to dominate the infrastructure of charging them up and to be able to control their "fueling" options.

• 3 weeks later...