Mysterious problems disrupt delivery of 2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator

The variety of problems being experienced is interesting...

-Explorer chassis issues. X-rays are being used to try to diagnose problems.

-Explorer transmission-related questions that prevent the vehicle from going into park or properly sensing the vehicle is in park. Some transmissions are not going into park and the computer is automatically activating the parking brake. Also, the computer cannot determine whether the vehicle is going into park properly and then not activating the brake, which means the vehicles are rolling away.

-Explorer and Aviator air-conditioning systems that blow heat only.

-Aviator suspension issues. The new system has auto leveling, which drops the vehicle down slightly when it’s unlocked and approached. But they’re arriving with suspensions in failure mode.

Glad to hear that they're catching, fixing, and re-shipping them, but good heavens. 

As an ST owner..  this type of BS gives owners zero confidence in the product.  After a 2011 disaster with numerous recalls and TSBs, I expected a recall here and there but this many issues already..  this many delays...  and zero communication from Ford to customers really angers me.

Thank god I have an 8yr/150k ESP on it.  Here we go again with. Being the Guinea pigs and being their damn testers paying premium pricing at launch.

I already have 3 issues.. 1) missing the tow adapter that screws into the bumper ( all explorer forum members are missing them.. great QC).  2) trim piece scratched on the outside, 3) reclining lever is scratching the seat base.

20190904_185034.jpg

20190809_122129.jpg

20190826_181105.jpg

E6861F0B-B4B9-40EF-BA3E-F1DA6AC74730.jpeg

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

As an ST owner..  this type of BS gives owners zero confidence in the product.  After a 2011 disaster with numerous recalls and TSBs, I expected a recall here and there but this many issues already..  this many delays...  and zero communication from Ford to customers really angers me.

Thank god I have an 8yr/150k ESP on it.  Here we go again with. Being the Guinea pigs and being their damn testers paying premium pricing at launch.

To Ford's credit, this is an entirely new platform, in a completely rebuilt plant.  I expect hiccups at launch.  I'm not excusing it, just trying to explain how stuff happens, and how it takes a bit to make things right.

Ever heard the saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"...  So you had problems with a 2011 (first year model) and you decided to do it again?

11 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

To Ford's credit, this is an entirely new platform, in a completely rebuilt plant.  I expect hiccups at launch.  I'm not excusing it, just trying to explain how stuff happens, and how it takes a bit to make things right.

Ever heard the saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"...  So you had problems with a 2011 (first year model) and you decided to do it again?

Well, I had a feeling this would probably happen because of all you listed above. I am just glad that they are getting ahead of the problem and just not sending them to dealers for sale. I wish though there was a better process to really nail down these problems before true production starts. I will probably get a Aviator in a few years, after these issues have been sorted.

It appears retail orders are also stuck in production limbo even after OKTB was given for both models.  Did they discover some serious  design and/or plant issues after OKTB... is keeping everyone in the dark, including dealers, the best way to handle it... are UFOs real... will we ever know the truth.

• Haha 1

So would people rather wait 2 years for failures to pile up, then get pissed when Ford has to recall millions of them?  "Oh, Ford knew this problem existed 2 years ago and did nothing about it."

It's a new model.  There will be issues.  Ford is on it immediately.  Get over it.  If you're not comfortable with that, then wait 2 years after production before buying a new model.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Anthony said:

Knock on wood, my Ranger just passed 10k miles and not a single issue.

Good to hear Anthony sir! My Ranger now has 7k miles and has been trouble free too. J.D. Power said that Ranger was the highest ranked midsize pickup in initial quality this year.

That's one good thing about 2019 U.S. Ranger being a decade old truck (global T6 Ranger). The bugs have been worked out.

A lot of the 2020MY Explorer's arriving at dealerships lately were those produced prior to the OK to Buy. Most have them have the repair notices inside the vehicles. Even so there have been a lot of damage claims, far above average, for paint chips, gouges and scratches. One 2020 Explorer ST received had paint chips right next to the left taillight that was very visible requiring the vehicle to go into the body shop for the Left Rear Quarter Panel to be repainted at a total repair cost of approximately $750.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, blwnsmoke said:

I already have 3 issues.. 1) missing the tow adapter that screws into the bumper ( all explorer forum members are missing them.. great QC).  2) trim piece scratched on the outside, 3) reclining lever is scratching the seat base.

20190904_185034.jpg

20190809_122129.jpg

20190826_181105.jpg

E6861F0B-B4B9-40EF-BA3E-F1DA6AC74730.jpeg

Is the tow eye supposed to be supplied standard? I got my 2018 Limited last year and there was none supplied. It had the slot for it, but it was not there. I bought it myself, I just thought that was the way it came.

• Sad 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, jasonj80 said:

I know that's my Explorer vehicle order used in the article.  They must have gotten the VIN which I posted on this forum and entered it into the German muscle car tracking website.  I can tell by the order and build dates, which are the dates for my VIN.  Hopefully, I see the Explorer delivered by Christmas and all of the issues are addressed.  The one that concerns me the most is the frame issue.  Being a mechanical engineer, the fact that they are using X-ray tells me that there are sub-surface weld crack issues with the frame which are not detectable by dye-penetrant (PT) surface testing.  That's really serious and difficult to repair with the frame loaded and under stress.

1 hour ago, Xbar said:

Is the tow eye supposed to be supplied standard? I got my 2018 Limited last year and there was none supplied. It had the slot for it, but it was not there. I bought it myself, I just thought that was the way it came.

Probably not standard on US Explorers but it's required in Europe.  Had the same thing on my 2000 Lincoln LS for the same reason - the mounting hole was there but not the hook.

You should be able to purchase the tow hooks.

4 hours ago, Xbar said:

It specifically says in the US manual that the tow hook is in the spare wheel storage tray.

24 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

It specifically says in the US manual that the tow hook is in the spare wheel storage tray.

That doesn't mean it should have been included for free.  It probably means they forgot to add "if equipped" in the manual.  I don't recall any US vehicles getting tow hooks included.