Ford workers told to expect tentative agreement soon

deflep1

WDIV Channel 4 Detroit reported today that the contracts had been extended for Ford and Fiat Chrysler, but not for GM. They also reported that the union told Ford workers today to expect a tentative agreement soon. I guess we shall find out in the next few days, which is the same time frame that GM workers could go out on strike.

The longer they take the more time members have to stew in the headlines of the corruption and how they're getting off serving time by ratting out the other. That's solidarity at it's finest. " It's our time to get some of those profits" looks like the UAW leaders got their share at the members expense in past negotiations  maybe it's time for members to get theirs at UAW leaderships expense.

55 minutes ago, Ididntdoit said:

The longer they take the more time members have to stew in the headlines of the corruption and how they're getting off serving time by ratting out the other. That's solidarity at it's finest. " It's our time to get some of those profits" looks like the UAW leaders got their share at the members expense in past negotiations  maybe it's time for members to get theirs at UAW leaderships expense.

The UAW leaders' corruption certainly hurts us with them selling us out to pad their pockets, but they've always done that in some fashion or another, haven't they? I think the UAW will jump to Ford if GM can't settle quickly. Ford has a better chance to settle with having only half their workers being constantly pissed at the company, as compared with GM's 80% or higher disgruntled work force. Closing 5 plants and building the Blazer in Mexico are very hard hurdles to overcome before dealing with tiers, raises, profit sharing, insurance, temp workers, safety issues, product commitment and a host of other things. The international is a political organization, the leaders are politicians...WE workers ARE the union. They need to remember that and put US first! 

I dont hear much complaining {aside from myself of course} inside the plant I work at.Let me say that this is my 3rd Ford Plant and it is the one where management treats workers the most decently.I would say that is because the Local Union is visible,accessible,does not allow "deals" or 'kiss asses' to ruin solidarity and the atmosphere just seems to be more professional.I would say that if Ford offers a contract with some sugar {say less time for temps to reach full pay}on one hand and some concessions {combine the trades and of course,screw those old pensioners}on the other hand along with a decent signing bonus {$6000 with $3000 of that pull ahead profit sharing}that a new contract will pass.Now meantime while GM is striking Ford can come out with a sale!

Edited by Fatso

5 hours ago, Fatso said:

I dont hear much complaining {aside from myself of course} inside the plant I work at.Let me say that this is my 3rd Ford Plant and it is the one where management treats workers the most decently.I would say that is because the Local Union is visible,accessible,does not allow "deals" or 'kiss asses' to ruin solidarity and the atmosphere just seems to be more professional.I would say that if Ford offers a contract with some sugar {say less time for temps to reach full pay}on one hand and some concessions {combine the trades and of course,screw those old pensioners}on the other hand along with a decent signing bonus {$6000 with $3000 of that pull ahead profit sharing}that a new contract will pass.Now meantime while GM is striking Ford can come out with a sale!

The media is reporting that GM had offered a $8,000 ratification signing bonus, no word if some of that was advanced from next years' profit sharing. GM also said “We presented a strong offer that improves wages, benefits and grows U.S. jobs in substantive ways and it is disappointing that the UAW leadership has chosen to strike at midnight tonight," the company said. "We have negotiated in good faith and with a sense of urgency. Our goal remains to build a strong future for our employees and our business.” Also The company said it offered improved profit sharing; what it called "solutions for unallocated assembly plants in Michigan and Ohio"; a ratification payment of $8,000 and enabling the union to "retain nationally leading health care benefits." This article was posted on Yahoo and other sites.

Cecil what facility are you at? Here at CAP its three to one - - - TPT,LTP, In Progression toooo one legacy.

I agree we have given, bull shitted and screwed out of enough. But, being a realist I can`t see anything other than the give and take. Like raise entry level hourly rates by fore going legacy hourly rate increases. Or raise health care coverage for in progression members while legacy members continue with the same co pays and coverages. Then maybe reducing the tiers to just two? All entry level and in progression raise to the same tier and legacy reduce their total classifications with a new pay scale for the new classifications.  

Then the IUAW sells it as SOLIDARITY.... you know lets help "all" of the membership, oh come on legacy members we need to get rid of tiers, legacy members already make double the entry level and almost double in progression members and legacy members only have one third the total votes anyway.....

Some one said, I was told and they said we ain`t in a good position to gain much. With a representation that well.....  have been busted and just waiting for placement in a government day care facility.  

Isn`t there a delayed period to apply depends on employee heath care coverage, for in progression members? I could be out dated with my info. I should have said drop or reduce the length of time before depends are covered.  

One thing that would get my vote for sure, would be the day we could drop the "ours" and the "yours" from any reference of UAW members benefits. 

Edited by Decker

10 minutes ago, Decker said:

Isn`t there a delayed period to apply depends on employee heath care coverage, for in progression members? I could be out dated with my info. I should have said drop or reduce the length of time before depends are covered.  

One thing that would get my vote for sure, would be the day we could drop the "ours" and the "yours" from any reference of UAW members benefits. 

I was able to get both my kids onto my health plan as soon as their social security cards were issued 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The proposed deal from GM was released. It's ok but not good enough IMO. 

https://www.wxyz.com/news/gm-says-it-made-strong-offer-to-its-us-workers

The raises were reported to be a half percent each year, that's 15 cents! I know they're cheap, but if that's true, it's a non starter. The major sticking points were closure of the 5 plants, and not making the Blazer in the US. They also weren't eliminating the wage gap between tiers and had no promise of those new jobs being full time positions. GM has said they don't EVER want to have to bump up temps to full time, even though it violates the contract, as did closing those plants during the 2015-2019 contract. They had all their debt eliminated in bankruptcy, screwed the shareholders, got bailout loans at 1% interest and made over 12 billion in profit last year, and yet still want to violate their contract by closing plants, sending new work to Mexico and continue using part timers like slaves and never hiring them full time. It's NEVER enough for GM, their executives and shareholders (unless it's for bankruptcy) ALWAYS come first...even if the company goes under and all the workers lose their jobs!

3 hours ago, Decker said:

Cecil what facility are you at? Here at CAP its three to one - - - TPT,LTP, In Progression toooo one legacy.

I agree we have given, bull shitted and screwed out of enough. But, being a realist I can`t see anything other than the give and take. Like raise entry level hourly rates by fore going legacy hourly rate increases. Or raise health care coverage for in progression members while legacy members continue with the same co pays and coverages. Then maybe reducing the tiers to just two? All entry level and in progression raise to the same tier and legacy reduce their total classifications with a new pay scale for the new classifications.  

Then the IUAW sells it as SOLIDARITY.... you know lets help "all" of the membership, oh come on legacy members we need to get rid of tiers, legacy members already make double the entry level and almost double in progression members and legacy members only have one third the total votes anyway.....

Some one said, I was told and they said we ain`t in a good position to gain much. With a representation that well.....  have been busted and just waiting for placement in a government day care facility.  

I am also at CAP new hires outnumber us there but I believe overall we still outnumber them company wide.It would be nice though if they threw us oldtimers a bone to leave LOL

Edited by cecilmeyer

1 hour ago, deflep1 said:

The raises were reported to be a half percent each year, that's 15 cents! I know they're cheap, but if that's true, it's a non starter. The major sticking points were closure of the 5 plants, and not making the Blazer in the US. They also weren't eliminating the wage gap between tiers and had no promise of those new jobs being full time positions. GM has said they don't EVER want to have to bump up temps to full time, even though it violates the contract, as did closing those plants during the 2015-2019 contract. They had all their debt eliminated in bankruptcy, screwed the shareholders, got bailout loans at 1% interest and made over 12 billion in profit last year, and yet still want to violate their contract by closing plants, sending new work to Mexico and continue using part timers like slaves and never hiring them full time. It's NEVER enough for GM, their executives and shareholders (unless it's for bankruptcy) ALWAYS come first...even if the company goes under and all the workers lose their jobs!

Shouldn't really post things that are supposedly "reported." No company would even think about offering raises of 1/2% per year. Ridiculous

11 minutes ago, Ford pilot said:

Shouldn't really post things that are supposedly "reported." No company would even think about offering raises of 1/2% per year. Ridiculous

I've seen 2 different national outlets report the half percent raises, but I agree it might be wrong. The Big 3 didn't want to give ANY raises, only bonuses to keep their costs lowered. I thought if they were forced they would offer a 2% the first year, lump sum the second, 1% the third year and lump sum the fourth year. OUR company and GM WOULD think of a half percent raise if they could get away with it, because they are ridiculous!

The only point that I'm trying to make is that we have to continue to be focused on the entire contract. I agree, all these companies would love to give 1/2% raises but would never put it on the table that way. Instead, it may look something like 3% raises and 4% bonuses, signing bonuses, while taking away other things at the same time. So yes, when it's all said and done, 1/2% raise!

Let's focus on the big numbers and be even more focused on the details. That's where the devil is.

2 hours ago, deflep1 said:

I've seen 2 different national outlets report the half percent raises, but I agree it might be wrong. The Big 3 didn't want to give ANY raises, only bonuses to keep their costs lowered. I thought if they were forced they would offer a 2% the first year, lump sum the second, 1% the third year and lump sum the fourth year. OUR company and GM WOULD think of a half percent raise if they could get away with it, because they are ridiculous!

Just curious, what would be an acceptable percentage to you? I agree 1/2% is pointless. 

No mention of shortening the progression either. I would like to see at least 2 years knocked off myself.

3 hours ago, cecilmeyer said:

I am also at CAP new hires outnumber us there but I believe overall we still outnumber them company wide.It would be nice though if they threw us oldtimers a bone to leave LOL

I agree if the incentive is a real offer I`m with you and willing to walk out with a check ?

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Just curious, what would be an acceptable percentage to you? I agree 1/2% is pointless. 

No mention of shortening the progression either. I would like to see at least 2 years knocked off myself.

I think a 2% and 3% alternating with lump sums would be reasonable, but they are dead set against it unless they lower costs elsewhere. I believe 4 or 5 years should be the most it should take to max out your wage. I feel for these in progression workers with the 8 years to top out. It took me almost 7 years to top out because my part time hours under the Auto Alliance contract weren't counted. I lost 3 years of seniority because they wouldn't count any time we had before Flat Rock went under the Ford national agreement in spring of 1997. A group of 212 of us were finally hired in Aug of 98 to full time, and most of us had been there 4-5 years at that point. They only put our seniority time back to May of 97 and we had to go back to the beginners 70% of top pay and start over! We had worked over 90 straight days many times and STILL never got hired. The union did NOTHING for us and we finally contacted a lawyer to sue the company AND the union for non representation. The Solidarity House was informed and they said we were lying about having more than 90 consecutive days in multiple times. A rep told us "We all know you work 89 days and get laid off, so quit wasting my time!" Then the rep said "I will come there and run the payroll / labor records and shut you assholes up!" He came the next day, checked the records and said "Well it seems 150 of you have WAY more than 90 straight days in and 62 of you have more than 60 days in...we will wait until that group hits 90 days and then notify the company." The day after that group got their 90 days in the company WAS notified and immediately ran to the line with paperwork saying sign this form saying we don't have to hire you or you have to leave NOW! I knew you can't sign a contract under duress, so I told everyone to sign a made up name that would never hold up in court. I informed the company they would be getting sued the next day for breaking federal labor laws and that a lawyer was ready to file against them. The next day we ALL got a call asking us if we'd like full time employment...so you see why I hate what they've been doing to our temps. I went through it and NEVER wanted anyone else to go through it, but we work for Ford, so it didn't work out that way!
I

I'm not a fan of lump sum "raises". It's a total cop out. Either give a raise or call the lump sum a bonus. You can't have it both ways. 

I agree 4-5 years would be idea for the progression but if we have to do 6 this time and shoot for the end goal being 4-5 with the next contract I think I could live with that. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm not a fan of lump sum "raises". It's a total cop out. Either give a raise or call the lump sum a bonus. You can't have it both ways. 

I agree 4-5 years would be idea for the progression but if we have to do 6 this time and shoot for the end goal being 4-5 with the next contract I think I could live with that. 

Yes, lump sums are bonuses by definition. Raises are forever and can keep up with inflation. Bonuses are all gone once they are spent and don't effect future pay. I can live with 2 raises and 2 bonuses in a 4 year contract, but the raise is FAR more important than a bonus.

18 hours ago, cecilmeyer said:

The legacy employees outnumber the new hires so any "screwing of the old pensioners" is not going to fly. And really the same old gag of giving you your own money in advance? The talk I hear is nobody is going to give any concessions. We have given enough. 

I`m with ya Cecil.All I am saying is that ,read these new contract deals carefully, because there will be somethings going the Company`s way.I happen to be an electrician and when you see the headlines "No combining of trades" it makes me laugh.More is constantly pushed onto the electricians.We are the ones sold out.Whenever the Company red-lines a trade,these workers are feather-bedded until their time runs out.If any piece of equipment in that plant has a wire or a battery be it an office machine,a computer,a broach machine,an oven , a light fixture well its electrician time!Then again it is job security and there is one way to make trades happy as a pig in mud.Let them live in the plants and make $200,000 a year.The company wants only 2 trades electrical and mechanical,like at Flat Rock Assembly.As for the pensioners,we have been divided-THANK YOU BOB KING.The time to strike to stick up for those new hires who dont get a defined pension was at least 2 contracts ago.Paying the workers different amounts of money to do the same job causes resentment.It has been proven with experiments on animals.The temps will vote as a group and production will either pass or fail the next contract.

• Like 1

Isn`t there a delayed period to apply depends on employee heath care coverage, for in progression members? I could be out dated with my info. I should have said drop or reduce the length of time before depends our covered.