Ford workers told to expect tentative agreement soon

deflep1

1 hour ago, MTP'er said:

Do you think the infrastructure will be in place by 2020?  Or better yet, will the electric grid be upgraded enough to handle all these electric vehicles?  I doubt it. 

Alternate points of view on the subject of alternative energy are VERBOTTEN.This leads a person to accept the possibility that government subsidies are going to be a major force in electrification and self-driving vehicles.I hear some scientist and engineers claim that by the time you factor in the cost of,along with damage to the environment, that will be needed to create the infrastructure required to support alternate energy the advantages go way down.Government Subsidies,,,,all that taxpayer $$$$$,,,,just for the stealing.I mean taking.I mean,,,,windmills and solar are no magic solution and by the way still require fossil fuel back-up for when the wind doesnt blow and the sun dont shine.Nuclear would be a better option but "Government Subsidies" may not apply as well.So,we get,Greta Thunberg, the 16 year old kid {used as a prop} going passive-aggressive,lecturing everybody about everything and anything, while we show up to work our jobs and pay taxes.Bottom line is that neither the auto companies or the consumer are going to have any choice in the matter.

Edited by Fatso
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MTP'er said:

Do you think the infrastructure will be in place by 2020?  Or better yet, will the electric grid be upgraded enough to handle all these electric vehicles?  I doubt it. 

I doubt it will be ready to handle it by 2030, but it will depend on who's in office to make legislation easier for pushing electrics on us. It's where things are headed, but the timetable is unclear. Like I said, if GM is even making HALF of all their vehicles electrics in 10 years, we are in BIG trouble. Fatso is right, we might get it forced on us to try to "save the planet" and we all know that the autoworker, let alone the Big 3 doesn't matter to the government or the general public.

• Like 1

GM is really playing hardball and responded to the unions counterproposal this morning. They reverted back to their last offer with little changes. UAW leadership said the talks just took a turn for the worse. I don't think it matters on how long the strike actually goes, GM has dug their heels in to lower costs and won't be giving back the concessions the workers gave up in the last decade. They have shown time after time that if the union wants only one tier with a quicker timetable to reach top pay, or to hire temps once legacy workers retire, then they will continue to move products out of the country. They divided us with the 2 tiers and the unlimited use of temps. They are NEVER giving that up! They will get hurt by a long strike because Silverado sales will tank, but they will throw the workers a few bones, but not everything they want to settle it. GM would have given back more things if the workers paid a little more for their healthcare, but they asked for way too high 15%, which spooked the UAW. They could have compromised at maybe 6-7% and gotten a path for temps and one tier, but in 4 years GM will DEMAND a much higher healthcare pay % or more products are moving out of the country. We at Ford are not in the same exact boat as GM, and maybe it's time to NOT have to do a patterned agreement on everything if our needs aren't the same as theirs. GM sees the long play of going all electric in 10 years and moving all production to China. They will try to break the union in the next decade and won't need the U.S. workers for too much longer. They need us for making the gas and diesel powered trucks and SUV's, but not for making the electrics and autonomous vehicles in the near future.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:44 AM, MTP'er said:

I doubt it will be ready to handle it by 2030, but it will depend on who's in office to make legislation easier for pushing electrics on us. It's where things are headed, but the timetable is unclear. Like I said, if GM is even making HALF of all their vehicles electrics in 10 years, we are in BIG trouble. Fatso is right, we might get it forced on us to try to "save the planet" and we all know that the autoworker, let alone the Big 3 doesn't matter to the government or the general public.

they take any longer we can reorganize a new union and negotiate a separate contract for Ford workers and kick the UAW out. Our local 551 is pretty useless anyhow we wouldn't miss much.

Make it a union that is focused solely on autoworkers and not every job that begins with an "A".

A union that isn't recruiting graduate students in Cali that advocate clear air laws that has a negative effect on the auto industry and the autoworkers they represent.

I'm all for clean air and pollution control, but these liberal nut jobs are out of control and they are also UAW. At the same time we auto workers need to realize the auto industry is evolving, we'll have to adept with the company.

At this point I trust Ford to do right for it's workers more then I trust the UAW to bargain a decent contract.

I have nothing against electric vehicles for those people that want one.

To make ONLY electric vehicles I really do not see it the perfect vehicle for everyone.

Thus far I have yet to see a battery that lasts longer than 5 years be it a standard care battery , cell phone or my battery powered tools.

I hope GM does go all electric and Ford starts making some innovative gas or diesel cars and trucks.

What Gary Jones needs to do is walk into the negotiations and announce, “Negotiations are suspended, we are shifting to Ford Motor Company to lead economic items as the strike target, setting a 24h deadline”.

GM can either make a real proposal within that 24h or sit there powerless to negotiate an end to the strike until after Ford has come to agreement with the UAW. That will take care of their obstinance. ?

Edited by Furious1Auto
  • Like 2