Ford and GM's plans for Electric Pickups

Very interesting article on Automotive News about electric pickup trucks.  One thing I noticed, nobody has a clue if anybody will buy them. 

For instance:

"Beau Boeckmann, president of Galpin Ford in the Los Angeles area and one of the largest U.S. Ford dealers, said customers are already asking about the truck.

"We're going to be shocked," he said. "I think the electric pickup truck has a huge future."

Not everyone is so sanguine. Industry tracking firm IHS Markit has estimated the entire full-size electric truck segment will account for fewer than 30,000 sales in 2026, compared with an expected 2.3 million sales overall."

"Detroit's other big automaker, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, has no current plans for an all-electric Ram, while Toyota Motor Corp. is betting more heavily on a hybrid Tundra pickup.

"The sliver of volume that's going to be electric pickups is not worthy of a business case," said one person familiar with Toyota's plans.

"This is going to be a real watershed for the whole industry," Ford Chairman Bill Ford told Reuters in a recent interview. The automaker has disclosed few details about the electric F-series, but Bill Ford hinted the truck could have load-carrying space under the hood in addition to the traditional bed in the back.  "You pick up all that extra space where the engine compartment has been," Ford said. An electric F-Series could be a work truck -- with its batteries functioning as a job site power source, he said. And it could be positioned as a high-performance vehicle next to the gas-fueled, 450 horsepower Raptor pickup truck.

No subscription required, so the article should be available for all.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/ford-gm-ramp-plans-electric-pickups?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=automotive news&utm_content=f6ed74e5-54d2-4e4e-99cc-f959177096c0

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s going to be really cool stuff but I agree that the actual market for vehicles that are priced appropriately (I.e. to make at least a small profit) will be relatively small.  Contrary to what some people believe.

I see the biggest markets for these types of trucks in Urban areas were they are more or less SUV or car replacements for life style owners. I can see some fleet usage, but like you said its not going to be a huge market for a while...they'd be lucky to sell 100K of them a year.

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I see the biggest markets for these types of trucks in Urban areas were they are more or less SUV or car replacements for life style owners. I can see some fleet usage, but like you said its not going to be a huge market for a while...they'd be lucky to sell 100K of them a year.

100k when you sell 600k (I'm not including my best guess on super duty figures) a year is still a pretty large chunk. 

I see fleet sales like mining operations paired with autonomous operation or airports with their trucks running back and forth on the air field as a prime target of an EV truck. Sales to individual consumers will be the "sliver" that the Toyota marketing guy was talking about. This will be a case where fleet sales will support the line and give engineers tons of "real world" data to improve the EV's for their eventual take over of the consumer market...15-20 years from now will be a "whole new world" in the automotive landscape.

15 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

It is interesting.  Ford, GM, Rivian and Tesla are all in on BEV pickups.  FCA and Toyota aren't.  Some say they'll sell well, others say "no way."  We'll see how it shakes out.

Two things that define the future of the U.S. new automotive market. 1.) Trucks. 2.) BEV.

Put those 2 things together and it's clear FCA and Toyota will have to get on board with BEV pickups soon or face the prospect of becoming irrelevant in the U.S. pickup truck market. Both companies are successful now with ICE powered pickup trucks, but that era is on its last hurrah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Two things that define the future of the U.S. new automotive market. 1.) Trucks. 2.) BEV.

Put those 2 things together and it's clear FCA and Toyota will have to get on board with BEV pickups soon or face the prospect of becoming irrelevant in the U.S. pickup truck market. Both companies are successful now with ICE powered pickup trucks, but that era is on its last hurrah.

Toyota will do what Toyota always does. They watch to see what everyone else is doing then then join in only after they see if there is demand.

Chrysler has been much the same for the past 25 years.