'20 Escape First Drive Review

12 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Autoweek - " ... And if you like, sleek, slippery, Porsche-like good looks, and a bunch of cargo space to boot, the 2020 Escape has you covered.  "

A few months ago when the pictures first came out I said this brings to mind overall of the looks of the Porsche, SUV.  Got pretty much nothing but strong resistance here on the forum- but the guys at Autoweek must be as off base and crazy as I am for saying this.

From the Car and Driver review:

The new Escape's EPA fuel-economy numbers jump by a dramatic 3 to 4 mpg for the 1.5T and 2.0T powertrains;

Auto week:

EPA fuel mileage just became official yesterday. The Escape 1.5 is rated at 27/33/30. I saw low 30s on the digital cluster for the 2.0-liter while driving softly, but it's rated at 23/31/26, so I was a little above the official average. We saw even better mileage on the hybrid, but we'll talk about that on Thursday when I can officially tell you how it drives.

The numbers aren't up on Fueleconomy.gov yet though

2 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Autoweek - " ... And if you like, sleek, slippery, Porsche-like good looks, and a bunch of cargo space to boot, the 2020 Escape has you covered.  "

A few months ago when the pictures first came out I said this brings to mind overall of the looks of the Porsche, SUV.  Got pretty much nothing but strong resistance here on the forum- but the guys at Autoweek must be as off base and crazy as I am for saying this.

I'm sure its one of those cars that look better in person...like the 2020 Explorer Front end. 

• Like 1

I'm really hoping this is a smashing success - It's not my cup of tea but it is 'cute'.  Much different overall look than the 'body crease a-paloozza' that Honda and Toyota have made popular, and now copied by Chevy (Blazer).  I'm not sure this will make a dent in the thousands of blind consumers that say:  "let's go to the Honda and Toyota stores and pick a small SUV..."  I am hoping that Ford has not fallen too far off the 'consideration' list.

Good luck Escape - hoping for a strong comeback!

51 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

I'm really hoping this is a smashing success - It's not my cup of tea but it is 'cute'.  

This is the problem. In the comment section of every article about the escape you see this thought quite often. There’s no one really raving about the escape and there’s a few that really dislike it, but it seems most are like “eh, I’m not gonna buy it but I’m sure someone else will like it.” 

Just now, T-dubz said:

This is the problem. In the comment section of every article about the escape you see this thought quite often. There’s no one really raving about the escape and there’s a few that really dislike it, but it seems most are like “eh, I’m not gonna buy it but I’m sure someone else will like it.” 

You need to take it for what it's worth. Most of those "journalists" want a Porsche Macan. I think it will sell well to women. That's just my opinion and I am not in marketing/demographics research.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

You need to take it for what it's worth. Most of those "journalists" want a Porsche Macan. I think it will sell well to women. That's just my opinion and I am not in marketing/demographics research.

I completely agree with you. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Public comment sections of automotive pages are freaking open sewers of stupidity. 

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

You really can't go by comments on the internet - they don't represent the vast majority of actual buyers.   Just look at Honda CR-V sales.   This will also appeal to folks previously looking for mid to high end Focus (but not the ones who were just looking for something cheap).   Having both a hybrid and phev version will also help a lot.  And don't forget you have baby bronco coming for those wanting something more rugged.

The 2020 Escape first drive reviews for the 1.5 and 2.0 were released today. I think the hybrid review will be released Thursday. I noticed a couple articles mentioned a wireless charging pad will be added after launch. Has anyone heard this? Motor trend had 0-60 on 2.0 pegged at 6.9 seconds - not too bad.

I currently have a mustang GT. Just got married last November and its on it's way out. I used to have a focus hatch that I loved. Since our next step is a family and I live in the north - I need something semi affordable with AWD. If the baby bronco were coming out sooner there's a decent chance I would go with that, but considering time constraints (the dreaded aluminum hood corosion problem that causes bubbling paint just started) I am probably going to go with the escape. At first I wasn't a huge fan, but it has been growing on me and I'm interested to see how it handles since it's so similar to a focus hatchback.

45 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Filed under bench racing, but having a hard time on why the Escape 2.0 would be slower than the outgoing one with a weight/gear/hp/tq advantage. I really get the feeling that the SE Hybrid is going to be the sweet spot (just a hunch).

Same issue with the Edge Titanium and ST which seemed to be transmission related (both 8 speed transmissions one of which should be shared with the Escape).

Edited by akirby

5 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I spoke to our Ford rep last winter about the Escape. I asked him if there was any chance that we could see an Escape ST in the US market with the demise of the Fiesta and Focus ST. Not a chance since women are the target demographic for the Escape.

7 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

I spoke to our Ford rep last winter about the Escape. I asked him if there was any chance that we could see an Escape ST in the US market with the demise of the Fiesta and Focus ST. Not a chance since women are the target demographic for the Escape.

That's interesting, since both my Daughter (Escape) and my Wife (Edge) would use the heck out of one of these,,,,,

HRG

s-l300.jpg