'20 Escape First Drive Review

15 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I would agree with you on some of your points. However-IMHO Ford didn't swing for the fences for the new model of the Escape.  Maybe 6-12 months or so down the road you can come back and the sales numbers will prove me wrong.

I don’t completely disagree with you regarding swinging for the fences, but perhaps Fords strategy is to provide the two distinctively different vehicles to cover all the bases in the segment. Whereas the others have to compromise their styling one way or the other. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I don’t completely disagree with you regarding swinging for the fences, but perhaps Fords strategy is to provide the two distinctively different vehicles to cover all the bases in the segment. Whereas the others have to compromise their styling one way or the other. Time will tell. 

Bingo!  Small and feminine is the Escape, big and burly is the Bronco Adventurer.  Covering both sides of the market with one platform and two top hats.

*Small and big are their perceived size...I know they will likely be roughly the same size.

And you can't "swing for the fences" in such a competitive market or you'll price yourself out of that market like Ford did with the Focus and Fusion Titaniums.  Great vehicles but in those segments people wanted cheap more than they wanted nice. 

The 2 pronged approach makes sense on paper - we'll have to wait and see how it works.   Having the hybrid and PHEV Escapes should increase sales over the previous model - I'd guess 350K if they're lucky.  Add another 50-75K Baby Broncos and you're over 400K and baby bronco should command higher ATPs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And you can't "swing for the fences" in such a competitive market or you'll price yourself out of that market like Ford did with the Focus and Fusion Titaniums.  Great vehicles but in those segments people wanted cheap more than they wanted nice. 

Problem for Ford was that Focus and Fusion Titanium (other than Hybrid and Energi) were neither cheap nor nice.

Edited by rperez817

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Problem for Ford was that Focus and Fusion Titanium (other than Hybrid and Energi) were neither cheap nor nice.

Focus wasn't that bad but my Fusion Titanium was on par with many entry level luxury cars.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

The new Escape is the only compact CUV to have the large digital display.  The others are a mix.  Escape has far more and better power train options.  Many of the reviewers like the 1.5 EB to the point where they recommend that over the 2.0 even.

Show me a FEATURE that one of the other CUV's has that the new Escape doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

The new Escape is the only compact CUV to have the large digital display.  The others are a mix.  Escape has far more and better power train options.  Many of the reviewers like the 1.5 EB to the point where they recommend that over the 2.0 even.

Show me a FEATURE that one of the other CUV's has that the new Escape doesn't.

I'm in the market for a compact SUV. I'm in between the Mazda CX5 signature trim and the Escape titanium (2.0 or hybrid).

Mazda has ventilated seats and a HUD that projects onto the window and its faster/supposedly handles better (based on reviews and 0-60 at least). Reviews say Mazda has nicer interior materials since they're apparently trying to push into the luxury segment.

Escape has a touchscreen (which I prefer over Mazdas knob) and the option of a hybrid. I actually prefer the escape's styling compared to the cx5. I don't like the pop up screen HUD (would prefer windshield HUD) and I wish it had ventilated seats and a wireless charger (apparently a wireless charger and additional usbs are coming later, but idk how much later - probably too late for when I plan to purchase).  Overall none of these options are a deal breaker for me (they fall under the category of nice to have but not need to have). The difference in 0-60 is pretty small so I'm not concerned about that. In terms if handling I'll have to wait until I can test drive. I'm curious to see the interior materials since quite a few reviews called Ford out on that.

Anyway just my .02 since I'm in the market

Edited by Maegar
Typo

6 minutes ago, Maegar said:

I'm in the market for a compact SUV. I'm in between the Mazda CX5 signature trim and the Escape titanium (2.0 or hybrid).

Mazda has ventilated seats and a HUD that projects onto the window and its faster/supposedly handles better (based on reviews and 0-60 at least). Reviews say Mazda has nicer interior materials since they're apparently trying to push into the luxury segment.

Escape has a touchscreen (which I prefer over Mazdas knob) and the option of a hybrid. I actually prefer the escape's styling compared to the cx5. I don't like the pop up screen HUD (would prefer windshield HUD) and I wish it had ventilated seats and a wireless charger (apparently a wireless charger and additional usbs are coming later, but idk how much later - probably too late for when I plan to purchase).  Overall none of these options are a deal breaker for me (they fall under the category of nice to have but not need to have). The difference in 0-60 is pretty small so I'm not concerned about that. In terms if handling I'll have to wait until I can test drive. I'm curious to see the interior materials since quite a few reviews called Ford out on that.

Anyway just my .02 since I'm in the market

Have you considered a Corsair?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Have you considered a Corsair?

I looked at it a little, but I think it got expensive pretty fast once you added a couple packages. I saw it at the NY Auto show and it was nice. I'll take a another look though. I'm trying to stay under $40k. I wouldn't normally look at Mazda but they're basically giving you every option they have for the same price as the escape ($37k) so a lot of this will depend on what kind of deal I can get on the escape (which since it's new might be tough). 

Edited by Maegar

27 minutes ago, Maegar said:

...Mazda has ventilated seats ...

So, ventilated seats is one Feature.  I can buy that.  A quick search does look like RAV4 and CRV have those as options.  One reviewer noted the Escape seat material "looked" like they could have done vent seats, but didn't.  He figured that would be a feature down the road perhaps.

How HUD is implemented isn't what I'd call a missing feature.

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

Corsair street price should be right around $40K for a loaded Standard or Base Reserve (FWD).   Worth a look since you get better materials, longer warranty and pickup/dropoff service (I think that's still offered).

Didn't realize there was a difference in warranty. Is it a big difference in time? Any predictions on escape street price? Haha

27 minutes ago, 92merc said:

So, ventilated seats is one Feature.  I can buy that.  A quick search does look like RAV4 and CRV have those as options.  One reviewer noted the Escape seat material "looked" like they could have done vent seats, but didn't.  He figured that would be a feature down the road perhaps.

How HUD is implemented isn't what I'd call a missing feature.

Yeah I'd just say it's a missed opportunity. I'm not sure why they went with the method they did. Maybe cost savings? Would be much more impressive projected onto windshield. My buddy used to have an old grand prix that had that. It was pretty cool

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Somewhat strange they aren't offering ventilated seats on the Titanium.  But then again they have Corsair as an option (which Mazda doesn't have).  Ventilated seats are available on all Corsairs.

I was looking at the corsair. Do they only come with tan or blue interiors? Or am I crazy lol

The RAV4 has the birds eye view 360 camera, not sure if the escape has that. It also has the digital rear view mirror like Cadillac uses. It uses a camera at the back to display what’s behind you. Works pretty good if you are carrying a load that blocks your view. It also has ventilated fronts seats and heated rear seats.

I’m sure the escape has a lot of things the RAV4 doesn’t have either though as well.

i agree with akirby though, for a couple thousand more than a titanium, you get a much nicer package.

Edited by T-dubz

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The RAV4 has the birds eye view 360 camera, not sure if the escape has that. It also has the digital rear view mirror like Cadillac uses. It uses a camera at the back to display what’s behind you. Works pretty good if you are carrying a load that blocks your view. It also has ventilated fronts seats and heated rear seats.

I’m sure the escape has a lot of things the RAV4 doesn’t have either though as well.

i agree with akirby though, for a couple thousand more than a titanium, you get a much nicer package.

Much nicer package with the Corsair it should say.

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

For some reason the build and price only shows 2 options, but there are 5, with different trim options depending on option packages:

image.png.459b9f3e0004f727e78a8d8e4ecd4e64.png

Thanks! Any idea when corsair will be out?  

26 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Much nicer package with the Corsair it should say.

Do you mean much nicer in terms of materials? Most options seemed similar with the exception of adaptive suspension and different seats etc

5 minutes ago, Maegar said:

Thanks! Any idea when corsair will be out?  

Do you mean much nicer in terms of materials? Most options seemed similar with the exception of adaptive suspension and different seats etc

Yes better materials, softer leather, push button gear selector.  You should really go drive one before deciding.   They should be out at the same time as Escape (or within a couple of weeks).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes better materials, softer leather, push button gear selector.  You should really go drive one before deciding.   They should be out at the same time as Escape (or within a couple of weeks).

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check out both :)