'20 Escape First Drive Review

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

In 3 different vehicles I've driven (2 Sports and 1 Nautilus)The 8F35 sounds likes its going to drop out of the car sometimes when you shift to and from Park/Reverse/Drive. The 8F35 doesn't seem to have that issue.

That's a known problem that engineering is still working on a solution for that.

59 minutes ago, pictor said:

which 8F35, the gm joint project on the modified6 F35, I am confused

The 2 new FWD 8 speeds appear to be:

8F35 - replacement for the 6F35 used on 4 cylinder engines.  This is the GM joint venture.  Used in Escape/Corsair and Edge/Nautilus 2.0L.

8F57 - replacement for the 6F55 used on 6 cylinder engines (2.7LEB only so far for Edge Sport and Nautilus).  This is an updated 6F55 that was used on previous V6 ecoboosts (2.7L and 3.0L).  This would not be applicable to Escape/Corsair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pictor said:

So the 8F35 is the one that is not getting the complaints and the 8F57 is? 

The 8f35 complaint is usually hard shifting from park to reverse and/or drive.  That’s waiting for Ford engineering.

The 8f57 complaint was slow and sloppy shifting in general which was mostly fixed with an early software update but there are still a few with occasional issues.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, akirby said:

Focus wasn't that bad but my Fusion Titanium was on par with many entry level luxury cars.

The problem with the Focus TI, especially post MY2015, is that most of the features previously only available on the TI trickled down to SE/SEL trims and it no longer made any sense to upgrade to the top trim. Same thing happened with the 2018-19 Escape. That's why every measure was taken to cut any unnecessary cost in the 2019 Escape, it was no longer as profitable as it used to be. 

On 9/21/2019 at 1:25 PM, T-dubz said:

When do Corsair reviews start coming out? I figured it’d be around the same time as the escape.

It seems like they’re taking that launch much slower than the Escape. I'm already seeing billboard ads for the new Escape. Nothing for the Corsair yet and radio/tv ads for the Aviator are only just starting in my market. I did hear a passing reference to the Corsair in a local Lincoln dealer ad in one of the podcasts I listen to so I guess that's something? 

19 hours ago, LtBucy said:

Does the new Escape use an all new 8 speed transmission? Is it the same one that's in the edge/nautilus? I've heard bad reviews saying that edge transmission was a poor modification of the old 6 speed. 

From what I've been able to glean from reviews and spec sheets, there's 2 different versions of the 8 speed. One is an all new one that is used in the Edge and one based off the old 6 speed that is found in the Nautilus and Edge ST. The big complaint I've heard is with the ST/Lincoln version and that because it's based on the old 6 speed the range in ratios is a little awkward, particularly in 2nd gear. I guess they didn't change the existing gear ratios and sandwiched in a new 2nd gear and (I think) 5th gear (which is 7th on the new transmission). 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

5 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Reminds me of my LS's waaayyy back when. When they were younger it had that hard "clunk" when shifting to reverse or drive.  My current LS doesn't do it anymore at 140K, I'm at the "Take it, damn it" stage of patience in my life, so it's been a few years since...

My Fusion has pretty much always done this, even after getting the transmission rebuilt. I have no idea why so I'm just treating it like a characteristic of this particular car until it causes bigger problems. There's practically zero chance we keep it once the lease is up anyway. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It seems like they’re taking that launch much slower than the Escape. I'm already seeing billboard ads for the new Escape. Nothing for the Corsair yet and radio/tv ads for the Aviator are only just starting in my market. I did hear a passing reference to the Corsair in a local Lincoln dealer ad in one of the podcasts I listen to so I guess that's something? 

I read on an Instagram post that the embargo on reviews for the corsair lifts next week.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

From what I've been able to glean from reviews and spec sheets, there's 2 different versions of the 8 speed.

You could have gleaned it from my earlier post:

21 hours ago, akirby said:

The 2 new FWD 8 speeds appear to be:

8F35 - replacement for the 6F35 used on 4 cylinder engines.  This is the GM joint venture.  Used in Escape/Corsair and Edge/Nautilus 2.0L.

8F57 - replacement for the 6F55 used on 6 cylinder engines (2.7LEB only so far for Edge Sport and Nautilus).  This is an updated 6F55 that was used on previous V6 ecoboosts (2.7L and 3.0L).  This would not be applicable to Escape/Corsair.

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Update looks like corsair reviews drop October 1st

19 minutes ago, J-150 said:

Hasn't that already been done to a degree with Lincoln variants? And to a degree of success?

To some degree.  But honestly just look at what is selling right now and it should be no surprise that Ford is going this way.  The biggest advantage is people will want baby Bronco and they won’t have to discount it very much and with Escape providing the volume they can keep production levels in line with demand.  It’s a relatively low risk project with high potential.   But we will have to wait and see if it works out.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, akirby said:

Looking at the success of the CRV and previous gen RAV4 and Jeep Renegade - I don't think so.

But also look back at the last time they tried splitting the market.... Flex and Explorer. Two enter, only one shall survive.

A lot of it has to do with Ford's pathetic marketing and forgetting about vehicles after 6 months, but I've got a better feeling about this working out than not.

Edited by Anthony

22 hours ago, Anthony said:

But also look back at the last time they tried splitting the market.... Flex and Explorer. Two enter, only one shall survive.

A lot of it has to do with Ford's pathetic marketing and forgetting about vehicles after 6 months, but I've got a better feeling about this working out than not.

Didn’t  the flex come out before the 2010 Explorer? 

Also you had the Freestyle and Taurus X before that with the BOF Explorer