'20 Escape First Drive Review

23 hours ago, rperez817 said:

First batch of 2020 Escape have arrived at U.S. Ford dealers. Here are a few photos from dealers in the DFW Metroplex.

54579528ae8e420bf85a1dbd7ed94226.jpg

68a3323ff0715b144a0fee65e77407e7.jpg

1e1ec0d7a2113d94b070181fc1217de0.jpg

c3213cc71100fb8fd82d47fff83319b6.jpg

e710baece091130e59ef734ec0e270e8.jpg

154cf2d8b445318994a282c1476b840e.jpg

b43f1082d0971645aadd24a5410cbccd.jpg

These are very underwhelming. They must be the base models. That last pic straight up looks like a car lol.

26 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

These are very underwhelming. They must be the base models. That last pic straight up looks like a car lol.

I have to agree with you. They are pretty basic looking, and don’t appeal to me much in those trims. 

One of our local Ford dealers had three new Escapes on the lot. The exterior fit-and-finish were good - far better than the first 2020 Explorer and Aviator shipped to a Ford-Lincoln dealer. (This dealer also had several 2020 Explorers on the lot, and in exterior fit-and-finish, they were head-and-shoulders about the first Explorers and Aviators, too.)

If there is a problem with the Escape, it's that they look somewhat plain, even in higher trim levels. One of the Escapes was a Titanium model with a $40,000 sticker. I had a hard time believing it was the Titanium model. There was nothing wrong with the styling, but the wheels and trim did not give it a "$40,000 look."

154cf2d8b445318994a282c1476b840e.jpg

this interior needs to be reworked too. Below are the interiors of its competitors, cx5, crv, rav4, rogue and then another pic of the escape in higher trim. All of the other models (with the exception of rogue) look way more upscale to me. The way the ac controls are incorporated just doesn’t flow well and looks cheap. The gigantic AC vents seem to be the main focal point in the escape where as you hardly notice them in the others.
2019_mazda_cx_5_dashboard.jpg2019_honda_cr_v_dashboard.jpg2019_toyota_rav4_dashboard.jpg2019-Nissan-Rogue-front-seats.jpg2020-ford-escape-rs-53.jpg

In my opinion, the last pic of the Escape is the cleanest and most upscale looking of the whole bunch.  That was an unbiased opinion because I was looking through the pics and forgot which one you said was which, and got to the last one, and thought "wow that looks nice" before I saw the blue oval on the steering wheel.  I think the multi-color of the Escape makes it stand out, along with the digital IP.

Keep in mind the top Escape pic is likely the lowest trim available as it has cloth seats.  The rest are all leather and likely a higher trim level.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

In my opinion, the last pic of the Escape is the cleanest and most upscale looking of the whole bunch.  That was an unbiased opinion because I was looking through the pics and forgot which one you said was which, and got to the last one, and thought "wow that looks nice" before I saw the blue oval on the steering wheel.  I think the multi-color of the Escape makes it stand out, along with the digital IP.

Keep in mind the top Escape pic is likely the lowest trim available as it has cloth seats.  The rest are all leather and likely a higher trim level.

Also, the top picture looks like it were taken from a dealer lot with terrible lighting, while the other photos are all studio photos with good lighting.

• Like 1

Just now, rmc523 said:

Also, the top picture looks like it were taken from a dealer lot with terrible lighting, while the other photos are all studio photos with good lighting.

Yeah, that’s why I included another one of the escape that was professionally done.

In my opinion, the Nissan looks the cheapest to me.  The Toyota vents look better.  But then the Honda big ass central shifter really sticks out.

Combine that with the all electronic gauge cluster, I think the Escape over all is still my favorite. 

• Like 1

The design of the Escape interior isn't the problem. If anything, as others have noted, it looks cleaner and more logically designed than the interiors of its chief competitors.

My concern - based on what I saw at the dealer - is that the Titanium version of the Escape looks plain on the outside.

Edited by grbeck

I think the part that makes the Escape look a bit cheap is the contours of the dash around the HVAC controls.  It is molded plastic conforming to the contours of the HVAC controls where the others make use of different textures and pieces to mask that.  The Escape has a 90's / 00's feel in that area where the others put a bit more thought into making it look a bit more upscale.

Minor thing, but does stand out a bit to me.  

471644024_ScreenShot2019-10-07at3_41_29PM.png.f9c817ab25b17628d2c8e12058e50d84.png

• Like 1

Only the Mazda looks dramatically better to me.   And I don't think it's a secret that Escape is targeted at low end buyers especially since it's replacing Focus, so they're keeping it as cheap as possible.   Going after the high end Titanium buyers didn't work on the last gen - most wanted cheaper SEs.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

And I don't think it's a secret that Escape is targeted at low end buyers especially since it's replacing Focus, so they're keeping it as cheap as possible.

That's a smart strategy. There are plenty of people who own older Ford Escape, Focus, and other Ford models that will find the new Escape perfectly acceptable.

46 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe it's time for the Titanium's to die and push people toward Lincoln?

HRG

They won’t die because they’re easy to make and represent good profit.  But they’re not going to make the platform more expensive just to support the Titaniums.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe it's time for the Titanium's to die and push people toward Lincoln?

HRG

Yes sir, in North America. Maybe China too. 

But higher trim lines like Titanium, Titanium X, ST Line X, and Vignale are worth keeping for Kuga in Europe because there's no Lincoln brand there.

ford-kuga-eu-2019_FORD_KUGA_CX482_SHOT8b

It would be a stupid business decision to stop Titanium models here. There are buyers that can't drive Lincoln's because of their Job. They pull up in a Ford, no matter how nice it is still a Ford. Pull up in a Lincoln that might cause the same people talk. Also there are about 3000 Ford Dealers, and about 1000 Lincoln, those buyers are not going to go find a Lincoln dealer, they will find a Jeep or GMC dealer down the street. 

Edited by jasonj80

Titanium’s usually have a pretty good discount on them, especially if you are using axz plan. We got our loaded titanium for around 28k. At the time Lincoln wasn’t offering any incentives on the mkc so it made sense to go for the titanium. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The ST-Line would do well in the US/Canadian Market, It gives the vehicle a much different look. Also will be interesting to see what happens to the Escape sales once the Baby Bronco comes out next year.

I'm surprised there's no ST Line or ST trim for Escape here, especially as a way to differentiate further.  I guess they feel Escape buyers aren't wanting that type of model?

21 hours ago, akirby said:

Only the Mazda looks dramatically better to me.   And I don't think it's a secret that Escape is targeted at low end buyers especially since it's replacing Focus, so they're keeping it as cheap as possible.   Going after the high end Titanium buyers didn't work on the last gen - most wanted cheaper SEs.

I was looking at the Mazda cx5 too, but I don't like that you don't have a touch screen when driving - you have to use a knob :/