Ford AU Developing Focus based Trucklet?

55 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Is this supposed to be a baby bronco truck or something different? The article mentioned South America so I’m guessing something different?

Yes, it seems that it is not a baby Bronco truck. Its code P758 (or something similar) is paired up with a crossover CX758 whose code is different to baby Bronco's CX430. My guess is that this could be an US replacement for the Ecosport and slot between Territory and Escape in South America.

5 hours ago, passis said:

What does one mean by Russian C2?

From the attached link,

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-focus-ute?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wheels_edm190913&utm_term=list_wheels_newsletter

However, Wheels has seen engineering documents from within Ford’s You Yangs proving ground that show the company is working on a ute project using traditional car underpinnings.

Codenamed P758, the prototype uses the Ford Focus C2 platform, with the Blue Oval yet to decide on what the pick-up’s nameplate will be.

The document reveals that the prototype is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol, mated to an 8F24 eight-speed automatic transmission.

The secret engineering document reveals that a Russian-market derivative of the C2 platform is used as the base for the test vehicle, which is being used to evaluate chassis components.

This is of particular interest, as earlier this year the Blue Oval announced it would be leaving the Eastern European market, ceding control over its Russian joint venture to business partner Sollers.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, passis said:

Thanks. I had seen that report you mention. But to be honest, Im still curious about this Russian C2 and how it differs from a proper C2. Would it be something like Toyota and Dahiatsu tnga and dnga architectures?...

C2 is the current Focus platform IIRC

The C architecture is what the new Focus/Escape/Baby Bronco and what not is being called-I don't think Ford is really breaking them out anymore directly. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Judging by all the PR and likely sales of the Gladiator. Id say it's 99.9% likely.

It would also be rather cheap to do. 95% of the engineering is done with the Bronco and next gen Bronco. 

Gladiator is FCA’s only midsize truck and last I heard they weren’t bringing back the Dakota. I’m not sure ford could justify having two midsize trucks. I think it would make more sense to have a baby bronco truck so you fill another segment with a compact truck like the original ranger.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Gladiator is FCA’s only midsize truck and last I heard they weren’t bringing back the Dakota. I’m not sure ford could justify having two midsize trucks. I think it would make more sense to have a baby bronco truck so you fill another segment with a compact truck like the original ranger.

FCA is not going to sell any Gladiators to a fleet customer. 

The Bronco truck would cover the lifestyle truck. You can't make the Ranger into a convertible truck. The Bronco truck? Yes!

Ranger would cover the normal truck buyer and commercial/government sales.

The compact truck does not need to be a Bronco. Remember that the Bronco family is suppose to be off-road friendly. I do not think that would be the aim of the compact truck. Its aim would be for the buyer who rarely using a truck, but wants one for the convenience in city environment they live in.

And I still hope they call it the Ranchero. That aim was the same for the original Rancheros.

Edited by ausrutherford

On 9/18/2019 at 10:13 PM, silvrsvt said:

C2 is the current Focus platform IIRC

The C architecture is what the new Focus/Escape/Baby Bronco and what not is being called-I don't think Ford is really breaking them out anymore directly. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:40 PM, akirby said:

I think the Russian version was cheaper - cheaper suspension e.g.

Exactly.

The pick up mule has a 2.0 I-4 gas engine, 8AT - the very thing US Focus needed to replace powershift.

Russian equipment probably extends to rear beam axle instead of CB IRS used in C1.

probably also uses just superseded electrical systems in these vehicles where the

latest and greatest isn't required for a sale.

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

The compact truck does not need to be a Bronco. Remember that the Bronco family is suppose to be off-road friendly. I do not think that would be the aim of the compact truck. Its aim would be for the buyer who rarely using a truck, but wants one for the convenience in city environment they live in.

I know, I just think the front of the baby bronco would translate well into truck. I also think it would look good if it was made larger too.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

TFL had a segment on what they had heard on the Dakota, and frankly there still isn’t much detail out there about. I would not count it out yet. 

As an aside, I was originally high on the Gladiator, but now that I have seen a few in the wild, it isn’t quite as appealing as I thought. It really only looks good in the Rubicon version and I feel the others are just meh. Of, course the others could be built through the aftermarket to look good. I’m curious how the sales are going verses expectations. 

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

You can make the Ranger off-road friendly. But the Bronco's appeal is that even the basic versions will look and feel somewhat off-road ready. 

And again, no convertible for the Ranger. 

Aren't they planning on bringing the Ranger Raptor to market in the US and Canada in a few years? A Bronco pickup and a Ranger Raptor seems awfully redundant to me.