'19 Ranger/F150 Get a Little Lift

The 2" front leveling lift is a popular mod on new F150s.  But I'm not 100% sure why the factory delivers them with a 2" drop in the front - is it just for appearance (I actually like it and didn't change mine) or is it to help keep it more level when towing a trailer?

This should be a popular factory/dealer option.

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

The 2" front leveling lift is a popular mod on new F150s.  But I'm not 100% sure why the factory delivers them with a 2" drop in the front - is it just for appearance (I actually like it and didn't change mine) or is it to help keep it more level when towing a trailer?

This should be a popular factory/dealer option.

2 reasons that I know of:

1) What you mentioned - once it's loaded, it sits about level

2) Fuel economy - it gets a bit better fuel economy with the front dropped a bit

I considered doing a leveling kit on my '18 F-150 but thought better of it. At the time I was also considering switching the wheels and tires to a set of Raptor take-offs. The 34.4" diameter BFG's from the Raptor will not fit the front of a standard F-150 without lifting the front suspension a minimum of 2". Although it would have looked cool it would not be practical for the type of use my truck sees. Highway ride, handling, performance and fuel economy would have all suffered not to mention what I would consider an unsafe condition when towing. Here is my leveling kit: 

IMG_3199.jpg

Edited by blksn8k2

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

On the F150forum it almost sounded like a "must have" type of thing there were so many that seemed to be doing it.  I thought maybe I was missing something.  Guess not.  Glad I didn't do it.

No, it's just a looks thing.  Personally, I'd rather drop the rear a couple inches to level it.

I put the 2” leveling kit on my son’s 2012 F150.  It definitely gave it a bigger stance and allowed it clear bigger tires. It’s basically a cheap lift kit. One thing it does do is firm up the suspension, which people may or may not like. I personally liked it. His kit included longer shocks for the rear as well. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

On the F150forum it almost sounded like a "must have" type of thing there were so many that seemed to be doing it.  I thought maybe I was missing something.  Guess not.  Glad I didn't do it.

I've been accused of having Symmetry OCD... which is characterized by the need for things to be symmetrical, perfect, exact, just right, or correctly aligned... resulting in compulsions that include ordering, arranging, evening up or aligning things.  But I know most vehicles need to have forward rake and trucks require significantly more rake because they're designed to tow and haul things.  So I've learned to really like that forward stance, but I still hate to see trucks that squat backwards when carrying a load, lol.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I just read they were pricing this kit at $1495 before installation, which I don’t find to be reasonable for what you are getting. 

Theres a stage 3 motor sports leveling kit for the ranger that includes fox shocks front and back for less than $1300, so I guess it seems a bit high. Do other lift kits void your warranty? Maybe that’s a reason to go with the ford?

10 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

I considered doing a leveling kit on my '18 F-150 but thought better of it. At the time I was also considering switching the wheels and tires to a set of Raptor take-offs. The 34.4" diameter BFG's from the Raptor will not fit the front of a standard F-150 without lifting the front suspension a minimum of 2". Although it would have looked cool it would not be practical for the type of use my truck sees. Highway ride, handling, performance and fuel economy would have all suffered not to mention what I would consider an unsafe condition when towing. Here is my leveling kit: 

My SE was leveled by the dealership when I purchased it. 2.5" in the front, 1" in the back with 285/65-20s.

Having driven similar truck without the leveling kit in various conditions (towing, inclement weather, etc) the only difference I noticed was the stiffness of the 10 ply tires vs stock. 

EDIT: My local dealership also mentioned they were installing those Rough Contry kit as they had been 'approved' by Ford Canada regarding the warranty.

IMG_20190719_153814.jpg

Edited by 92LX302

My friend owns a car lot with 50 to 60 vehicles.  Gets alot of F150's from a local Ford dealer as trade ins.  His experience is these kits do wear front end components a little faster.  Nothing crazy but you have to factor it in.

For me, I've always liked the look of a slight rake.  It actually bothers me to see a leveled truck towing with the nose in the air.

• Like 1