Accessing Third Row with Children IN Car Seats

Mickeyme

For those with kids in car seats, can you offer some advice on access to the third row with kids IN the seats?

Here is my scenario:  We have 4 kids - 2 teens and 2 preschoolers.  We also carpool to school.  On some days, I have our 2 preschoolers plus 4 teens to drop and pick up at different schools.  The teens -and all their stuff - need to be able to get in and out of the third row while the littles are strapped into their seats.  Right now we have an Odyssey and accomplish this by leaving one outboard seat open in the second row.  And the littles need to be in the second row so they can get out easily at their school.

I like the idea of captains chairs in the second row- less fighting and more room and easier access when it is just our family.  But given the carpool requirements, how hard is it to access the third row with kids IN second row car seats?  Can it be done?  Or should I be looking at a second row bench?

Thanks!

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I think about this when I consider being on a road trip with a couple of other adults and two toddlers. I think in this situation I would like to have the bench seat for the second row as I could put one child in the middle and one on the passenger side, allowing the driver's side 2nd row section to slide and pull forward to allow people into and out of the 3rd row. The problem with this for you (and for me) would be that the two younger kids  will be right next to each other and more able to goof around and stir each other up.

I don't think it's very easy to slide in front of a child in their car seat on either the passenger or driver's side and then go to the 3rd row through the pass through, but it would certainly be easier for a younger person.

For us, we value the idea of having space for an extra passenger in the 2nd row, so we will go with the bench seat. Obviously you probably don't want to go with the middle console on the 2nd row given your situation.

Maybe I wasn't much help here ...

We also had an Odyssey, configured like yours, and we upgraded to a 2018 Navigator, so I understand your situation well. We also have two kids (6 and 7) and a dog. The Navigator is a fantastic car, and a great upgrade from the Odyssey. (I wrote a Navigator review back when I bought the car)

My recommendation is to buy for the car you want when your toddlers are buckling themselves, because either situation will work for a year (details below). Unless you're on a short lease you will have the Navigator for a long time, because it's such a great car. Our kids buckle themselves wherever, and our 7 year old moves her own booster around, and soon yours will too.

We have the captains chairs. We have a dog; we prefer the easier pile-in-and-out for carloads of kids; and we prefer adults to be able to easily access the 2nd row from the 3rd during long trips. (parent, friend, nanny).

If you want that extra seat, and you don't have pets (or you're getting the L and putting them in the back), then the bench may be the way to go. We have friends with 4 boys and 2 dogs, and they have the extended escalade with a bench for this reason.

-------

As for your questions...

Yes, if you have the 2nd row bench, you can put two kid-seats in the middle-and-side, and use the other side tip-and-slide to access the back row. If they are in bottom boosters no problem. If you are still using full-child seats, you may need a narrow one, like the Diono Radian (which are obnoxiously heavy, but the narrowest seats i'm aware of, we had 4 of these in the past).  The tip-and-slide is easy to open (just a button), but a little tricky and takes some leverage to lock back into position. I don't think our 7 year old could do it, but a teen could.

Yes, we have the captains chairs, and kids, adults, and dogs routinely squeeze by our bottom-booster-buckled kids in the captains chairs. (it might not be possible if they were in full kid seats) Keep in mind the 2nd row seats have a giant forward/back slide range. We keep them slid almost all the way back for easy-in-out, which reduces the 3rd row space. I'm 6'2" and even with 2nd row all the way back I can still sit without my legs touching the 2nd row, but for longer trips we move the 2nd row a little up for more generous space back there. 

Edited by Dave_SF