Amazon buying 100k Rivian Vans

I saw this too.  Got me to thinking about that US Postal bid.  Too bad Rivian didn't come up with their skateboard pack earlier.  I wonder if that would have fit the bill for the base.  Just need an upfitter to put a delivery vehicle on that skateboard that meets USPS requirements.

I hadn't heard of this news.  Looks like USPS is going to split its purchase between 4 manufacturing facilities.  Makes me wonder if Rivian would still have a chance.  If their price is low enough, I'd say it's possible.  Short daily trips will save them fuel costs in the long run.  Then it's a matter of any maintenance issues.

https://www.trucks.com/2019/09/03/postal-service-delays-new-mail-truck-contract/

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Imagine the upgrade to the USPS offices to be able to charge all those vehicles at night if the USPS went that route.

I can’t imagine the USPS taking a chance on a new vehicle from a start-up. Rivian may become a successful company but they may be bankrupt in a few years. 

6 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I can’t imagine the USPS taking a chance on a new vehicle from a start-up. Rivian may become a successful company but they may be bankrupt in a few years. 

Amazon has invested $700 Milion, Ford $500 Million and Cox Automotive $350 Million

Amazon's Bezos wants to compete in EVs and AVs with Musk and this stops Musk form

getting an easy foot in the door with commercial vehicles.

UPS has signed up with Workman for 1,000 electric vans.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Amazon has invested $700 Milion, Ford $500 Million and Cox Automotive $350 Million

Amazon's Bezos wants to compete in EVs and AVs with Musk and this stops Musk form

getting an easy foot in the door with commercial vehicles.

UPS has signed up with Workman for 1,000 electric vans.

Yes, but those investment totals are just a fraction of what Rivian will need to successfully bring a vehicle to market. I’m guessing they haven’t been made yet (at least all of dollars) but will occur over a period of years depending on Rivian’s progress forward. 

The bigger question is, who will be running the network of charging stations that will be needed to "refuel" them all? That is where the $$$ is. Will Rivian (and by extension, Amazon) utilize the Tesla system of supercharger stations or is there another competing network in the offering that has not been revealed yet? 

Tesla is not the only charging network. 

Presumably Amazon will invest in one of the existing networks, or more likely I think, build out chargers at their distribution centers. 

I could also also see them investing in Electrify America. VAG has developed a super fast charger. The common denominator of Ford between Volkswagen and Riveon is interesting as well. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/vws-2-billion-penalty-for-diesel-scam-builds-ev-charging-network-across-us.html

Edited by sullynd

7 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Yes, but those investment totals are just a fraction of what Rivian will need to successfully bring a vehicle to market. I’m guessing they haven’t been made yet (at least all of dollars) but will occur over a period of years depending on Rivian’s progress forward. 

Deliveries of electric trucks and pickup begin next year, the vans begin in 2021. Rivian already has an d Nissan plant and reconfiguration is we’ll underway. They’re of going yo muck around for years like Tesla did,

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

The bigger question is, who will be running the network of charging stations that will be needed to "refuel" them all? That is where the $$$ is. Will Rivian (and by extension, Amazon) utilize the Tesla system of supercharger stations or is there another competing network in the offering that has not been revealed yet? 

Don’t BEVs have a common charging plug?