Amazon buying 100k Rivian Vans

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Don’t BEVs have a common charging plug?

Teslas Supercharger Level 3 is unique and will only work at Level 3 charging on a Tesla designed plug. There are other Level 3 direct DC charging stations but their plugs wont fit a Tesla. Level 1 and Level 2 charging is another story, but to be competitive in the quick charging market that direct DC offers, Tesla has more infrastructure out there and it is NOT compatible with other Level 3 charge plugs.

16 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I just had a Tesla Semi truck orders flashback, and Faraday, and etc etc etc ... ...why on earth are there so many smoke and mirrors with BEV manufacturers?....Ill believe it when they actually start producing them and actually see them on the road.....

It and AVs is kind of the automotive  gold rush...

I think they need something like MIT's liquid metal battery to make it more viable, 

something that cheaper to make, common materials and very fast charging.

Edited by jpd80

While Tesla's  level 3  chargers are out of reach at the moment,  Ford and other manufacturers are committed  to developing common fast charging DC, so it's only a matter of time until more manufacturers start using Tesla's fast charging 

The fast charging set up is based around 400 V DC so again, adapter plugs may be needed, the one snag I see is,

All major DC charger manufacturers offer multi-standard units that offer the ability to charge via CCS or CHAdeMO from the same unit. The Tesla Supercharger can only service Tesla vehicles, however Tesla vehicles are capable of using other chargers, specifically CHAdeMO for DC fast charging, via an adapter. .

manufacturers need to settle on one system or a system that can switch  between them.

Edited by jpd80

14 hours ago, barney9014 said:

Well, kinda, sorta...

Tesla has started upgrading Superchargers with dual cables in readiness for the Model 3, which is due to start deliveries to Australian customers in August.

The upgrade for the Tesla Superchargers involves the addition of a CCS2 cable to each charger, so that both Model S and X – which use the proprietary Tesla DC charging plug – and the Model 3 – which will come standard with a CCS2 in line with other modern EV models, will be able to use Tesla’s DC Superchargers.

...and then there is this....

An interesting point to note is that while it has been reported that the Tesla CCS plug features a notch that disallows other EVs from being able to plug into Superchargers, the upgraded Australian dual cable Superchargers do not have this notch.

..and finally, this...

Now, this does not mean that owners of other EV models with CCS2 plugs will be able to use Superchargers – other EV makers notoriously knocked back an offer long ago from Tesla to share chargers and plugs.

The Grumman LLV (Long Life Vehicle) mail truck, built on an 80's Chevy S10 chassis, while finally reaching the end of its tour of duty, has been good for the USPS.  Except for recent fires and a few other things, it's bulletproof.  They start right up every morning. The aluminum bodies are all like brand-new!  The front and rear bumpers absorb minor hits, it turns on a dime with a turning radius that allows a U-turn on a narrow 2-lane road.  ALL access to it, whether driver or mail is by sliding door so the door does not stick out.  These features are VERY important. Plus the driver must be on the RIGHT side to place mail in roadside mailboxes.  I don't see a Transit fulfilling the job.  And like the article says, air conditioning and anti-lock brakes would be a plus, but except for driving TO and FROM their RURAL routes, these trucks are not driven that fast, not much more than 35 to 45 MPH.  In fact the City routes never go much faster than 25 MPH. If the next generation of mail trucks does not have all the above features, it's quite frankly useless!

Edited by Joe771476

On 9/20/2019 at 3:59 PM, twintornados said:

Sure, but the key is the Level 3 charging which will overcome the biggest part of owning an electric...long charging times

Long charging times are only an issue for apartment dwellers without access to an outlet. The rest of us just charge over night in our garages.  Might only need high-speed a few times a year on long trips.  People who don’t own EVs have a idea in their head about how it is, and it is often the opposite.  It’s actually less hassle.

34 minutes ago, novanglus said:

Long charging times are only an issue for apartment dwellers without access to an outlet. The rest of us just charge over night in our garages.  Might only need high-speed a few times a year on long trips.  People who don’t own EVs have a idea in their head about how it is, and it is often the opposite.  It’s actually less hassle.

Maybe for you, I don't see it working for me, today. I average 40-45K miles/year, usually have at least one 500+ mile day a week, and don't see an overabundance of charging stations at hotels that I stay at weekly.

HRG

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe for you, I don't see it working for me, today. I average 40-45K miles/year, usually have at least one 500+ mile day a week, and don't see an overabundance of charging stations at hotels that I stay at weekly.

HRG

May not work for you but others can get it done.  100k miles in 2 years.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, barney9014 said:

This has nothing to do with the US.  Similar to how some countries require APPLE to ship with a micro-USB adapter, some countries are requiring EVs to use CCS. Model3 in the US use the same plug as the S/X. 

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

This has nothing to do with the US.  Similar to how some countries require APPLE to ship with a micro-USB adapter, some countries are requiring EVs to use CCS. Model3 in the US use the same plug as the S/X. 

Same plug but the Model 3 can charge at a higher rate than the S and X in the US. Don't know about overseas.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/teslas-v3-supercharger-tested/

3 hours ago, sullynd said:

Not all quick chargers are CCS, some are CHAdeMO. Some chargers offer both plugs. 

I'm thinking CCS will become more popular, it's already the standard in Europe and it looks like maybe 

manufacturers may revisit the arrangement with Tesla that they knocked back a few years ago.

There's still a lot of ifs and buts in this, people need to be able to charge without dozens of adapter leads.

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'm thinking CCS will become more popular, it's already the standard in Europe and it looks like maybe 

manufacturers may revisit the arrangement with Tesla that they knocked back a few years ago.

There's still a lot of ifs and buts in this, people need to be able to charge without dozens of adapter leads.

Tesla in the US doesn’t, and likely never will, use CCS. 

Its more likely we’ll continue to see chargers with both CCS and CHAdeMO. 

20 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Tesla in the US doesn’t, and likely never will, use CCS. 

Its more likely we’ll continue to see chargers with both CCS and CHAdeMO. 

Tesla is fascinating,  in the US it has its own chargers and with an adapter, owners can charge through CHAdeMO

but in Europe/ROW, it now has a dual cable to allow access to CCS. So obviously, there's more to this behind the scenes.

I can see charging ending up like current gasoline /diesel /e85 fuel pumps depending on what type of connection...

Europe and ROW will probably lock in CCS, Japan CHAdeMO, Nth America both of those and China something else.

Edited by jpd80

12 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

I suspect in California it would be no problem.  Tesla superchargers dot the state and a lot of hotels in fact have chargers for Ev's

Until there is one "standard" for level I, II, and III charging, EV sales will be on the fringe of sales. To put it in perspective, I have a Lincoln, I don't have to worry about finding a gas station that has an unleaded fuel dispenser that will exclusively fit my MKC, they all work. 

Edited by twintornados