Amazon buying 100k Rivian Vans

33 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Until there is one "standard" for level I, II, and III charging, EV sales will be on the fringe of sales. To put it in perspective, I have a Lincoln, I don't have to worry about finding a gas station that has an unleaded fuel dispenser that will exclusively fit my MKC, they all work. 

You do know that most non-Tesla charging facilities have several styles of ends: CCS, J1772, CHAdeMO, etc.  And you can buy several adaptors on Amazon, even ones that let you use a Tesla charger as long as it's not a Supercharger.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:54 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe for you, I don't see it working for me, today. I average 40-45K miles/year, usually have at least one 500+ mile day a week, and don't see an overabundance of charging stations at hotels that I stay at weekly.

HRG

Yep, every forum has one of you. Another forum I'm at has a poster who says that he routinely drives nonstop from Maryland to Florida, 700 miles, in his VW diesel. And he lives on a street with only on street parking, no garages. So no EV for him, either. Not doubting either one of your stories, but the two of you are a tiny percentage of the population. Mackinaw's situation is only a slightly higher percentage.

5 hours ago, AGR said:

Yep, every forum has one of you. Another forum I'm at has a poster who says that he routinely drives nonstop from Maryland to Florida, 700 miles, in his VW diesel. And he lives on a street with only on street parking, no garages. So no EV for him, either. Not doubting either one of your stories, but the two of you are a tiny percentage of the population. Mackinaw's situation is only a slightly higher percentage.

His situation is not unlike a salesperson for a large distributor of consumer goods servicing a base of "mom and pop" stores.

16 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

You do know that most non-Tesla charging facilities have several styles of ends: CCS, J1772, CHAdeMO, etc.  And you can buy several adaptors on Amazon, even ones that let you use a Tesla charger as long as it's not a Supercharger.

I wonder how the adapters were selling when unleaded fuel was first rolled out?

18 hours ago, twintornados said:

Until there is one "standard" for level I, II, and III charging, EV sales will be on the fringe of sales. To put it in perspective, I have a Lincoln, I don't have to worry about finding a gas station that has an unleaded fuel dispenser that will exclusively fit my MKC, they all work. 

As noted, many chargers have both CCS and CHAdeMO handles, and the apps that show charging locations let you specify handle type. 

The hotel I stay stay in several times a month has five multi-handle charging stations, and it’s not a high end hotel, nor is it located in CA (or even the left coast). 

Well I’m learning something on the handles.  Gas stations will go the way of stables for horses?  Seems like most charging will be done at home, work or hotel though. I was in DC recently and the hotel parking had chargers. I could do 90% + of my charging from home.  Even when I was working. 

• Like 1

Other than my employer (a power company running a nuclear power plant), I don't know where the nearest charging station is for me.

With that said, I would consider an EV for our next vehicle.  It would be perfect for our needs since our longer trips almost exclusively consist of towing our fifth wheel with my Super Duty.

59 minutes ago, sullynd said:

As noted, many chargers have both CCS and CHAdeMO handles, and the apps that show charging locations let you specify handle type. 

The hotel I stay stay in several times a month has five multi-handle charging stations, and it’s not a high end hotel, nor is it located in CA (or even the left coast). 

How many gas pumps have different handles to dispense the same unleaded fuel into different vehicles? The unleaded gasoline dispenser that fits in my Lincoln, also fits in a Toyota, a Dodge, them fancy Maybachs, Aston Martins, Volkswagens, etc etc etc....and they are the same in North America as they are in Europe, China, Australia, and other nations. 

I understand different dispensers for different fuels, such as diesel and LPG, CNG, Hydrogen..but electricity is electricity with the only variable being Level 1 and 2 are A/C converted to DC by the vehicle, or direct D/C current (AKA Level 3 charging) and currently, there are several "standards" that need to be winnowed down to one standard for Level 1 and 2, and one standard for Lever 3. I know from what I have read the Elon wants "his" level 3 charging to be the standard so he can make $$$ in the "fuel" delivery services. 

I still think the vehicle that Ford is building using Rivian's chassis is going to be a van. And I'm of the opinion that Rivian will not be able to make this many vans that Amazon wants its contractors to buy.

I think Ford will end up building these vans for Amazon. Just a matter of which badge goes on the front of the van.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think Ford will end up building these vans for Amazon. Just a matter of which badge goes on the front of the van.

I think these Amazon vans will get built by the combined resources of Ford and VW with their newly inked alliance.... Also remember, VW owns MAN in Europe...

B72CC275-66E5-4FC9-8259-2EECA891C1FD

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/03/201080324-man.html

Edited by twintornados

On 9/25/2019 at 4:57 AM, twintornados said:

I think these Amazon vans will get built by the combined resources of Ford and VW with their newly inked alliance.... Also remember, VW owns MAN in Europe...

B72CC275-66E5-4FC9-8259-2EECA891C1FD

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/03/201080324-man.html

Ford and VW will collaborate on a midsize van to replace Transit Custom and VW Transporter. And the main reason VW is getting out is because the Hannover plant which is the home of Transporter since the birth of the van is being converted to build ID electric cars.

The bigger VW Crafter/MAN TGE are barely a year old and will be around for a long time... it won't be replaced by the large Transit anytime soon. So Ford's fullsize electric van plans are very much focused on Rivian I believe.