Car & Driver is lovin' on the Ridgeline,,,,

HotRunrGuy

you should be quick to point out this 280-hp V-6 is the most fuel-efficient in its class, even in all-wheel-drive form.

So they must be excluding the Ranger's 2.3L boosted I4 which is stupid because it has more power than the Ridgeline's 3.5L V6 AND gets better fuel economy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

So they must be excluding the Ranger's 2.3L boosted I4 which is stupid because it has more power than the Ridgeline's 3.5L V6 AND gets better fuel economy.

Yes sir, Car and Driver is referring to V6 engines in the midsize truck class.

In the EPA tests, Ranger 2.3L rates 1 MPG higher than Ridgeline, but in real world driving, Ranger's advantage disappears. Both trucks got 15 mpg overall in C&D's 400 mile trip. https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/2019-ford-ranger-2020-jeep-gladiator-2019-chevrolet-colorado-2019-honda-ridgeline-comparison-complete-specs-results-1556718247.pdf

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Which is stupid if the 2.3l has more power than the other V6s.

Only the Frontier's 4.0L V6 is less powerful than Ranger's 270 hp 2.3L turbo four.

Power ratings V6 midsize pickups.

• Frontier 261 hp
  • Tacoma  278 hp
  • Ridgeline 280 hp
  • Gladiator 285 hp
  • Colorado & Canyon 308 hp

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Only the Frontier's 4.0L V6 is less powerful than Ranger's 270 hp 2.3L turbo four.

Power ratings V6 midsize pickups.

• Frontier 261 hp
  • Tacoma  278 hp
  • Ridgeline 280 hp
  • Gladiator 285 hp
  • Colorado & Canyon 308 hp

Let's compare torque at 2500 rpm.

• Like 1

Looks like it's faster than everything except maybe the GM V6.

Honda's ubiquitous 3.5-liter V-6 carries over, sending 280 hp and 262 lb-ft of torque to a six-speed automatic. Not surprisingly, its straight-line performance numbers are nearly identical to the 2017 Ridgeline AWD RTL-E we last tested, running to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds and the quarter mile in 15.6 seconds (compared to 7.3 and 15.7 seconds).

"A little poky from a stop," road test editor Chris Walton noted about our 2019 Ridgeline tester, though "upshifts at redline are reasonably smooth/fast."

It's quicker than the top-selling 2018 Toyota Tacoma we recently tested (7.6 seconds to 60 mph), but it lags behind the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado and 2019 Ford Ranger, which posted 0-60 times of 6.4 and 6.8 seconds, respectively. Both domestics have stronger engines and gearboxes with more cogs (and shorter first gears), and they aren't much heavier than the Honda.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

280/262 vs. 270/310.    Car tuning vs. truck tuning.   Which is faster?

From the Car and Driver test sheet. Faster results in bold.

Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD.

• 0-30 mph: 2.4s
  • 0-60 mph: 6.6s
  • Rolling start 5-60 mph: 6.9s
  • Quarter mile: 15.2s @ 92 mph
  • Top speed: 112 mph

Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4x4.

• 0-30 mph: 2.5s
  • 0-60 mph: 6.5s
  • Rolling start 5-60 mph: 7.2s
  • Quarter mile: 15.0s @ 94 mph
  • Top speed: 109 mph

Overall, the results are close enough that practically speaking, the two trucks are about the same when it comes to "fast".

Just now, rperez817 said:

From the Car and Driver test sheet. Faster results in bold.

Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD.

• 0-30 mph: 2.4s
  • 0-60 mph: 6.6s
  • Rolling start 5-60 mph: 6.9s
  • Quarter mile: 15.2s @ 92 mph
  • Top speed: 112 mph

Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4x4.

• 0-30 mph: 2.5s
  • 0-60 mph: 6.5s
  • Rolling start 5-60 mph: 7.2s
  • Quarter mile: 15.0s @ 94 mph
  • Top speed: 109 mph

Overall, the results are close enough that practically speaking, the two trucks are about the same when it comes to "fast".

Ok it's JUST AS FAST and gets better fuel economy.   Stupid to exclude it from the "class".

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

Let's compare torque at 2500 rpm.

I don't have torque curves handy. Here are peak torque numbers and engine speed at which it is achieved. Torque at 2,500 rpm will be lower than these peak numbers.

• Ranger 310 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
  • Frontier 285 lb-ft @ 4000
  • Tacoma  265 lb-ft @ 4600
  • Ridgeline 262 lb-ft @ 4700
  • Gladiator 260 lb-ft @ 4400
  • Colorado & Canyon 275 lb-ft @ 4000

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Motorweek is doing their comparison test of Ridgeline, Ranger, Canyorado and Gladiator this weekend.

The Motorweek results are up on their podcast, # 213.  https://www.motorweek.org/features/podcasts

Here is the Cars.com review Motorweek mentioned.   https://www.cars.com/articles/ready-for-a-mid-size-truck-we-rank-4-of-the-best-408868/

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

I don't have torque curves handy. Here are peak torque numbers and engine speed at which it is achieved. Torque at 2,500 rpm will be lower than these peak numbers.

• Ranger 310 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
  • Frontier 285 lb-ft @ 4000
  • Tacoma  265 lb-ft @ 4600
  • Ridgeline 262 lb-ft @ 4700
  • Gladiator 260 lb-ft @ 4400
  • Colorado & Canyon 275 lb-ft @ 4000

You proved my point.   The ecoboost I4 has far more torque at lower rpm for better off the line performance.  This also lowers peak hp but you get better performance in most cases.  The 10 speed tranny must be keeping the Canyorado V6 in its sweet spot.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Ranger, as predicted, was faster and got the same or better mpg as all the other v6s.

Strange that the ride quality and handling accolades were reversed from most other reviews with Ranger being better than Canyorado.

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

You proved my point.   The ecoboost I4 has far more torque at lower rpm for better off the line performance.  This also lowers peak hp but you get better performance in most cases.  The 10 speed tranny must be keeping the Canyorado V6 in its sweet spot.

8-speed hydramatic. No 10 speed in the midsize trucks.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

So to summarize:

The Ridgeline is the best car with a pickup bed.

The Gladiator is the best lifestyle vehicle with removable top and doors.

Ranger and Canyorado are the best trucks.

You are entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day, Car & Driver, Motorweek and Cars.com will probably influence more potential buyers than you will.

HRG

29 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

You are entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day, Car & Driver, Motorweek and Cars.com will probably influence more potential buyers than you will.

HRG

WTF?   I'm not trying to influence anybody.   I'm just stating facts.   And nobody is really influenced by reviews.  If they were then the Camry wouldn't be #1 for so long because it always comes in dead last.

Do you honestly think that someone who wants a Gladiator is going to cross shop the others or cares where it placed in the review?  Of course not because they but it because it's a jeep and it's cool and you can remove the top and doors.

Someone who wants an open bed but doesn't care much about towing or hauling will find the Ridgeline the most comfortable.

When it comes to payload and performance while towing or hauling you can't beat Ranger and Canyorado.

Those are simple facts and observations based on objective data.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Right - and the last place Tacoma will stay the top seller by a record margin...so much for these guys influencing buyers!

I agree with kirby - nobody is even going to cross shop - the vast majority have their mind made up before they even start the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Right - and the last place Tacoma will stay the top seller by a record margin...so much for these guys influencing buyers!

I agree with kirby - nobody is even going to cross shop - the vast majority have their mind made up before they even start the process.

Very true Kev-Mo sir. Pickup truck owners are more loyal to the make or model they already have compared to owners of sedans or crossovers. When it comes time to get a new truck, they may not bother to cross shop or compare at all. Even if they do, they are likely to end up buying the another truck from the same brand.

I'm a good example. I've owned Ford trucks for more than 20 years. A few years ago I started test driving midsize pickups that would be contenders to replace the '04 Ranger I used to have. Honda Ridgeline was the best one by any objective, logical measure. But I threw objectivity out the window when it came time to buy new truck earlier this year. Ford trucks are what I'm familiar with. So I bought a 2019 Ranger. You can criticize me for that. I don't regret my decision though.