news coming....

On 10/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, J-150 said:

Dont even need wires. A contact on the door and a contact on the door frame

I have contact pins on my '34 3 window coupe (suicide doors) didn't want to mess with a harness. They do work okay but, yes when open the power windows don't work.  But if you'r going to be removing the doors anyway I don't see that as a problem, unless you want to hear your speakers with the doors open. I don't know about reliability but mine haven't failed yet, and its been since 1999.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The question was price not performance.

...price directly relates to performance.  Don’t compare apples and oranges.  Again, find a car with comparable performance and price it for me.  That’s why I bought it.  Do you buy a Mustang GT350 for gas mileage?  EVs perform better than equivalent ICE vehicles AND have greater efficiency, both.  Comparing them to lesser performing vehicles is apples and oranges.

...edit...and, when the Mach gets here, find a vehicle with its level of performance and compare their prices.  The brilliance of the Mach (and the Polestar 2) is that the company(ies)  understand EV adopters are not, for the most part, Prius driving tree huggers, they’re tech and performance nerds.

Edited by novanglus

2 hours ago, novanglus said:

...price directly relates to performance.  Don’t compare apples and oranges.  Again, find a car with comparable performance and price it for me.  That’s why I bought it.  Do you buy a Mustang GT350 for gas mileage?  EVs perform better than equivalent ICE vehicles AND have greater efficiency, both.  Comparing them to lesser performing vehicles is apples and oranges.

...edit...and, when the Mach gets here, find a vehicle with its level of performance and compare their prices.  The brilliance of the Mach (and the Polestar 2) is that the company(ies)  understand EV adopters are not, for the most part, Prius driving tree huggers, they’re tech and performance nerds.

You missed the context of the original question.  But you’re right about the performance benefit.

I believe that eventually we will stop seeing as many performance oriented BEVs and more that are focused on range. Right now with where battery technology is at you can't really have it both ways and there's still a certain stigma among the public that electric cars are slow. So once this slew of performance BEVs have entered the market (notice only GM has an electric car that doesn't tout its performance capabilities at the moment) then we will start seeing the longer range/fast charging models.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, Deanh said:

get ready for some updates on the new stuff...Bronco...2 door and 4, removable doors and YES manual and Auto...and TWO drivetrains. ...

Because you call out the transmission separately I'm going to assume this meant to imply axle options?   

If it was meant for the engine I would expect most people to call it "engine options", most people reserve "drivetrain" for the downstream components.

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I believe that eventually we will stop seeing as many performance oriented BEVs and more that are focused on range. Right now with where battery technology is at you can't really have it both ways and there's still a certain stigma among the public that electric cars are slow. So once this slew of performance BEVs have entered the market (notice only GM has an electric car that doesn't tout its performance capabilities at the moment) then we will start seeing the longer range/fast charging models.

The problem is this-more range equals more battery power. BEVs range gets hurt on the highway because vast majority of electric cars don’t have any form of gear box to run them at lower speeds like you have with a ICE or HEV. They do better with around town drive due to power generation via braking or lettering off the gas and coasting. 

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

BEVs range gets hurt on the highway because vast majority of electric cars don’t have any form of gear box to run them at lower speeds like you have with a ICE or HEV. 

It wouldn't matter:  https://www.greenoptimistic.com/electric-cars-gears/#targetText=In%20any%20case%2C%20a%20multispeed,unnecessary%20because%20even%20100%20N&targetText=m%20is%20plenty%20of%20torque,they're%20perfect%20for%20transportation.

20 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The problem is this-more range equals more battery power. BEVs range gets hurt on the highway because vast majority of electric cars don’t have any form of gear box to run them at lower speeds like you have with a ICE or HEV. They do better with around town drive due to power generation via braking or lettering off the gas and coasting. 

doesn't Porsches new BEV have a two speed trans?...

22 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Nice rendering.... I agree, hope it looks like this one.

image.png.d5d9feb52df954c9da557a12d2d32f61.png

hope not...looks are subjective of course...but that front end bothers me for some reason, and aren't mirrors going up the A pillar. and whomever did the render, gave up on the rear "top"....Personally I hope its a modernized version of the original Concept seen in movies.

BRONCO (2018_05_31 19_21_55 UTC).jpg

32 minutes ago, Deanh said:

doesn't Porsches new BEV have a two speed trans?...

Yes, but what does the Taycan sell for? My general impression is that the 2 speed is an extravagance for a higher price car, not something that can be cost justified for a Mach E. Good discussion here: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124924_porsche-taycan-electric-car-2-speed-could-be-first-of-many-in-evs

Fixed-ratio gearboxes should provide plenty of sweet spot for most electric vehicles for the near future, and the added weight of the gearbox might better be used toward more battery cells. But in premium and high-speed models, allowing taller drive ratios for high speed, without taking away from the perkiness at low speed, multi-speed transmissions might not be a thing of the past after all.  

Edited by Harley Lover

22 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Yes, but what does the Taycan sell for? My general impression is that the 2 speed is an extravagance for a higher price car, not something that can be cost justified for a Mach E. Good discussion here: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124924_porsche-taycan-electric-car-2-speed-could-be-first-of-many-in-evs

name a Porsche that isn't overpriced for what you get....and that's not knocking them as they are damn fine cars...but they are NOT cheap by any means.

51 minutes ago, Deanh said:

hope not...looks are subjective of course...but that front end bothers me for some reason, and aren't mirrors going up the A pillar. and whomever did the render, gave up on the rear "top"....Personally I hope its a modernized version of the original Concept seen in movies.

BRONCO (2018_05_31 19_21_55 UTC).jpg

No and no

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

So should we assume that the bronco and baby bronco will share some styling cues since they are a part of the same family? I think this rendered front end does a good job of bringing the concept and the baby bronco together.

I thought that went without saying after that leaked picture of the baby Bronco came out 

On 10/6/2019 at 1:32 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I dont see why it can't be both.

Many gasses have the "eco", "normal", and "sport" modes. You can do the same with electric. Eco for range and Sport for increased power output. Normal for a halfway point.

Just like a 3 way light or a dimmer switch.

Edited by J-150

37 minutes ago, J-150 said:

Many gasses have the "eco", "normal", and "sport" modes. You can do the same with electric. Eco for range and Sport for increased power output. Normal for a halfway point.

Just like a 3 way light or a dimmer switch.

That's because they have transmissions and tuning that can affect them. 

BEVs for the most part are direct drive and don't act like ICE-1 RPM gives you full torque output on a electric motor vs a gas engine

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive already gotten myself into trouble once from stuff I posted here so I'm going to leave it at "no" 

feel for you, especially when things are exciting...embargos suck for us curious ones...but necessary so as "bombshells" actually achieve the impact Fords wants...due to leaks, so many have fizzled by release dates....let alone competitors get insight before release.