news coming....

44 minutes ago, Deanh said:

and no one, anywhere, in my lifetime...will convince me to embrace autonomous driving....that's got disaster and lawsuits written all over it...same with "hail your car"....which is working out just jim dandy...

I wonder if it will eventually become like  a "hive mind" thing for  driving in slow grind peak hour

where all the cars communicate with each other and move together  like insets while drivers

sit back and relax until the snarl is behind them..

Also related to Tesla and all future EV's.  Has the bubble burst?  From Automotive News:

"Dyson's sudden decision to scrap its $2.5 billion electric-vehicle ambitions is the latest reality check creeping into the once soaring EV industry.  Dyson represents one of the most high-profile players to pull out of a sector that's attracted hundreds of startups in recent years seeking to capitalize on the industrywide move toward EVs, led by Tesla. But there are mounting signs that the bubble is bursting as China scales back handouts in the sector and competition heats up. Sanford C. Bernstein estimates that global EV sales fell for the first time ever in July and dropped by a record 23 percent in August.

"Tesla's future remains uncertain. Almost all the EV startups trying to follow look challenged," Bernstein analysts, including Max Warburton and Robin Zhu, said in a report that cited the Dyson decision as a worrisome development in the industry. "Most of these startups will likely fold. The truth is barriers to entry in autos remain high. Making cars is hard. The move to EVs will be expensive."

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/dyson-decision-offers-latest-sign-ev-bubble-bursting?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191011&utm_content=article7-headline

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

well put, can agree with a majority of that...but imagine how much more successful tesla would have been if they franchised….even their glorious leader has stated that ultimately will happen when sales numbers require it. They would have had a far superior infrastructure, removed massive financial responsibility and had Dealers in basically every state no problem. Would've had service bays everywhere, removed the overheads of land leases, property costs, construction costs, employee overheads etc etc etc.....they could have then concentrated on what they should have...investing in their product, its quality and distribution. Im actually surprised they have remained afloat. And FWIW, I actually like the product...its just not the Holy Grail all the owners are dead set on convincing everyone, think it is. But I do agree, the brand HAS lit a fire under the segment. Will be interesting how Tesla handles the influx of competition in a niche they have pretty much had to themselves for so long.  

Don't forget the millions spent in lawsuits against franchise laws in an attempt to force state governments (with varying degrees of success) to allow their stores to operate. Probably not the wisest use of that money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sullynd said:

I can’t stand their urinals! They blow air at you!!

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Be glad it's just air.....

Dysons first design was quickly discontinued...it was voice activated and you had to say "spores" to get it to blow...

giphy.gif

Edited by twintornados
  • Haha 2

Autonomous driving is another area where there is a ton more UX (User Experience) benefits besides surrendering the car to the computer.  A good example is Lane Centering tech on the newest Fords. I have it on my Nautilus and the benefit is more relaxed and effortless driving.  It's clear to me that I'm still in control and the car is just helping me along so I don't have to stay as tense while driving.  It also encourages more relaxed and consistent driving, especially with Adaptive Cruise thrown in.  So I think there will be lots of benefits of Autonomous tech to improve safety and comfort, but it probably won't be driving you from A to B anytime soon.  And even if it could, people don't have to use it but can benefit from the ways it can make driving more pleasant.  

It's one of those things you have to experience, because if you explain it you can't really illustrate the real nuance of driving with these systems.  At first you think it works like crap because it's not taking over all steering effort.  The engineers have done a good job keeping the driver from being too disengaged but just enough to help them along.  It works best when you don't know it's there, but you miss it when it's not.  Still, there is allot of room for improvement but I don't feel confused by the capabilities of the systems on the Fords.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, jpd80 said:

One of the prime examples of AV operation helping drivers was self parking,

it made a big splash a few years back but don't hear much about it today.

To me, it takes far too long to set up.  It takes double or triple the time to have it do it rather than just parking yourself.  That said, if younger drivers grow up using it all the time, it'll become the "standard" way to park over time.

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

To me, it takes far too long to set up.  It takes double or triple the time to have it do it rather than just parking yourself.  That said, if younger drivers grow up using it all the time, it'll become the "standard" way to park over time.

I'll be honest - we haven't used it yet on our 2016 MKX.  Very little parallel parking around here.  But I thought all you had to do was turn on the blinker and drive past the spot.  What else is required?

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I'll be honest - we haven't used it yet on our 2016 MKX.  Very little parallel parking around here.  But I thought all you had to do was turn on the blinker and drive past the spot.  What else is required?

the latest version does everything...brakes and everything....little dis-concerting for me...does that label me a control freak?.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

In theory, yes.  But in my experience (granted, my last usage of it was a....2015 MKC with that Date Night program), it didn't always pick up the spot correctly.  We too have little parallel parking here (though it's appearing more and more), and I'd consider using it if it were pretty seamless.  Maybe newer versions are better.  The perpendicular spots, though, is where I think it'd take more time than it's worth to set up, but again, I've not really used it to be able to give an accurate assessment.  My dad did order my mom an Explorer ST with I think all of the goodies (I really wanted her to get an Aviator, but they like to load up their vehicles and couldn't justify Aviators' additional 20k+ price tag), so I'll be able to let you know how it works when I get to check it out (I don't know when it'll arrive)

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

In theory, yes.  But in my experience (granted, my last usage of it was a....2015 MKC with that Date Night program), it didn't always pick up the spot correctly.  We too have little parallel parking here (though it's appearing more and more), and I'd consider using it if it were pretty seamless.  Maybe newer versions are better.  The perpendicular spots, though, is where I think it'd take more time than it's worth to set up, but again, I've not really used it to be able to give an accurate assessment.  My dad did order my mom an Explorer ST with I think all of the goodies (I really wanted her to get an Aviator, but they like to load up their vehicles and couldn't justify Aviators' additional 20k+ price tag), so I'll be able to let you know how it works when I get to check it out (I don't know when it'll arrive)

Like I said we haven't really used it but from what I've seen you just put on the blinker and drive past the spot slowly and that's it.

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought you had to shift into reverse to activate the sequence 

That's after it identifies the space.   The question was what you had to do to get to that point.  According to this video you hit the button, turn on your blinker and drive slowly past the spot until it chimes.  then shift into reverse and follow the prompts.

comedy...we had a gentleman come in specifically to try the self parking feature, salesman took it for granted he knew he had to control the brakes...he didn't....3 cars were damaged on the lot. And he refused to accept responsibility. The new/ latest version brakes for you...all you are in charge of is forward and reverse,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's after it identifies the space.   The question was what you had to do to get to that point.  According to this video you hit the button, turn on your blinker and drive slowly past the spot until it chimes.  then shift into reverse and follow the prompts.

you use the turn signal to indicate which side you are looking for the space. Then the system will inform you if it finds an adequate space. Then you  pull forward and put trans in reverse. Wheel will turn on its own and the sensors will inform you when to brake, and switch trans from reverse to forward...weird seeing the wheel have a mind of its own.

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Like I said we haven't really used it but from what I've seen you just put on the blinker and drive past the spot slowly and that's it.

Correct......but my experience showed it had difficulty identifying spots.  Like I said, though it was 4-5 years ago now, so the systems have likely gotten better.

18 minutes ago, Deanh said:

comedy...we had a gentleman come in specifically to try the self parking feature, salesman took it for granted he knew he had to control the brakes...he didn't....3 cars were damaged on the lot. And he refused to accept responsibility. The new/ latest version brakes for you...all you are in charge of is forward and reverse,

I thought you didn't have to switch gears either in the new one?

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Correct......but my experience showed it had difficulty identifying spots.  Like I said, though it was 4-5 years ago now, so the systems have likely gotten better.

I thought you didn't have to switch gears either in the new one?

that I cannot confirm....truth be told, never demonstrated the system...freaks me out too much. Ok, just looked up Active Park Assist 2.0, all you do once its found a spot is put the trans in neutral and hold a button down...vehicle does everything.....switches from forward to reverse, brakes ...everything...

Edited by Deanh

54 minutes ago, Deanh said:

that I cannot confirm....truth be told, never demonstrated the system...freaks me out too much. Ok, just looked up Active Park Assist 2.0, all you do once its found a spot is put the trans in neutral and hold a button down...vehicle does everything.....switches from forward to reverse, brakes ...everything...

Yeah the braking thing is interesting.........I wonder how fast it operates - meaning does it whip it in there quickly, or does it inch along into the spot?

---

I recall in that MKC tester I had that letting off the brake more/allowing it to maneuver faster would affect the turning radius and therefore affect the ability for it to properly get into the spot.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, jcartwright99 said:

I don't know if anyone here would be parading a car made in a tent. Yet somehow Elon can and his followers (you) eat it up.

...thanks!  I love mine, especially when I’m wiping grins off Mustang drivers’ faces!  It’s cheap good clean fun! ;)