news coming....

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Its maddening too because they got it right with the new Escape/Corsair. Showed them at the New York auto show and started building them in early August. 

I read this in one of the Detroit papers.  Ford says they tried to do too many things at once (Explorer, Aviator, Explorer cop car, hybrid, etc.).  They should have used a staggered rollout, much like GM did with their new pickups.

6 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I read this in one of the Detroit papers.  Ford says they tried to do too many things at once (Explorer, Aviator, Explorer cop car, hybrid, etc.).  They should have used a staggered rollout, much like GM did with their new pickups.

We're talking about the massive gap/length of time between the debut of a product and SOP/arrival at dealers.

---

I'd agree with you, though, that a staggered rollout of Explorer/Aviator, etc. would've been better in hindsight.

Edited by rmc523

5 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Uh they did-the Hybrid isn't out (yet) and I saw another article that Cops didn't know when they where getting their PIUs from Ford this year...

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Uh they did-the Hybrid isn't out (yet) and I saw another article that Cops didn't know when they where getting their PIUs from Ford this year...

From Joe Hinrichs:

"We launched the Aviator and Explorer both at the same time," Ford President of Automotive Joe Hinrichs told investors. "We had the higher version of Explorer. We had the Police Interceptor. We had Black Label Aviators. We had all this content and, simply put, with ... the product going from front-wheel drive to rear-wheel architecture, all new assembly line, all new body shop, all those things at once we took on too much and we shouldn’t have it."

"Simply put, we took on too much," Hinrichs said. "We signed up for too much at launch. (But) we actually feel really good about where we are right now. It’s been a lot of work and a lot to get here."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/10/24/shares-ford-tumble-market-reacts-lowered-earnings-guidance/4086047002/

7 hours ago, mackinaw said:

From Joe Hinrichs:

"We launched the Aviator and Explorer both at the same time," Ford President of Automotive Joe Hinrichs told investors. "We had the higher version of Explorer. We had the Police Interceptor. We had Black Label Aviators. We had all this content and, simply put, with ... the product going from front-wheel drive to rear-wheel architecture, all new assembly line, all new body shop, all those things at once we took on too much and we shouldn’t have it."

"Simply put, we took on too much," Hinrichs said. "We signed up for too much at launch. (But) we actually feel really good about where we are right now. It’s been a lot of work and a lot to get here."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/10/24/shares-ford-tumble-market-reacts-lowered-earnings-guidance/4086047002/

And with that you have the guy responsible admitting he screwed up.

Hard to say without knowing the inside story.  He may have pushed back on the plan and warned of problems but was overruled.

It may have been a well communicated joint business decision to take the risk.

It all comes down to what was communicated and who accepted the risks.

I don’t think this was the case here but sometimes things that look bad to the public can be positive internally.  No way to tell.

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I am old school.  They are probably paying this guy close $1M (with bonuses and stock option).  His job was to not let those issues happen !!  Time for "heads to roll" !  Early retirement.

One million?  How about $12 million/year.  One of Hinrichs jobs are vehicle launches.  Anyway you cut it, this didn't go well.  Hinrichs has been rumored to be in the running ford Ford CEO once Hackett retires.  I wonder if his star is now falling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

One million?  How about $12 million/year.  One of Hinrichs jobs are vehicle launches.  Anyway you cut it, this didn't go well.  Hinrichs has been rumored to be in the running ford Ford CEO once Hackett retires.  I wonder if his star is now falling.

I really think it's just a matter of too many hats. That's why CEOs delegate the way they do. 

• 7 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, Deanh said:

I know its third hand, but our Principal is REALLY low key and mellow...and he was excited....the Mach E is apparently going to be sold as an MSRP unit with Dealers getting re-imbursed ala A plan style. Fords version of Teslas sales model?...

Have you heard any more on this? I’ve seen posts that some people getting hit with ADMs. Worried it’ll tarnish the launch if they do. “Tesla’s sales model is so much better” stories will practically write themselves. 

I wish Ford had a public plan for this and made it more clear what a reservation gets you. Curious to see how the process goes to complete my order. 

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

Have you heard any more on this? I’ve seen posts that some people getting hit with ADMs. Worried it’ll tarnish the launch if they do. “Tesla’s sales model is so much better” stories will practically write themselves. 

How can they do ADMs?  There is no allocation and I thought you could pick any dealer.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

How can they do ADMs?  There is no allocation and I thought you could pick any dealer.

Dealers can set sale prices for Mustang Mach-E customers however they please, just like any other Ford vehicle. The only stipulation from Ford is that dealers are not allowed to advertise prices below MSRP for Mustang Mach-E.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail my wife and I received from Ford when we reserved our Mustang Mach-E.

By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. The Reservation Process allows you to configure a Vehicle and pay the Reservation Deposit (“Reservation Deposit”) to Ford. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. You must contact a Dealer to discuss final transaction pricing, arrange any necessary financing, and complete your purchase of the Vehicle.

Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle. The Dealer sets the Vehicle price, which may differ from the MSRP. Unless otherwise indicated, MSRP is the manufacturer suggested retail price and does not include destination/delivery fee plus government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer processing charge, any electronic filing charge, and any emission testing charge. Optional equipment not included.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

Also if you want to avoid ADM you can just pick a rural dealer for your order then have it shipped or have them do the delivery at your local Ford dealer. If you go to some smaller dealers you can get Raptors for close to invoice - https://www.integrityford.net/new/Ford/2019-Ford-F-150-for+sale+in+paulding,+oh-9f265fed0a0e0aea0d1bb2d84ce86177.htm?searchDepth=1:2 and they are considerably nicer to deal with. Some also get surprising amounts of allocation because they sell a lot of F-Series. 

4 hours ago, sullynd said:

I wish Ford had a public plan for this and made it more clear what a reservation gets you. Curious to see how the process goes to complete my order. 

there will always be dealers that skirt the norm Im afraid...we will see if we are one of them I guess...not my call...

You had to select your dealer when you reserved, can you change at this point without repercussions (place in line though it’s not clear there even is such a thing)?

I’m not too worried about my dealer, but I was hopeful there would be a program as described in this thread to make it closer to X-Plan for all or TESLA.  ADMs could be bad publicity. If my dealer does one it may be enough to push me to a Model Y instead, or jump to the Bronco. The good thing for me is I don’t NEED the car, so I could wait too if need be. 

Edited by sullynd

On 6/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, akirby said:

Well that sucks.  At least you can shop around to different dealers.  I’m sure Ford will highly discourage ADMs but they can’t prevent them due to franchise laws.  

Ford's advertising requirements are very specific for the Mach-E and require a Dealer to include a VIN number in any advertising so that Ford can monitor compliance with Ford's policy. Despite the restriction on advertising, dealers can transact with the customer at any price they choose (at, above, or below MSRP).

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, jasonj80 said:

Also if you want to avoid ADM you can just pick a rural dealer for your order then have it shipped or have them do the delivery at your local Ford dealer. If you go to some smaller dealers you can get Raptors for close to invoice - https://www.integrityford.net/new/Ford/2019-Ford-F-150-for+sale+in+paulding,+oh-9f265fed0a0e0aea0d1bb2d84ce86177.htm?searchDepth=1:2 and they are considerably nicer to deal with. Some also get surprising amounts of allocation because they sell a lot of F-Series. 

The Mach-E customer has to select a Dealer to take delivery from. Ford then pays the Dealer a commission similar to what's done with A/X/D Plan transactions. As such, I don't know if Ford will allow a Mach-E to be ordered at a rural Dealer and then drop shipped to another Dealer for delivery. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, sullynd said:

You had to select your dealer when you reserved, can you change at this point without repercussions (place in line though it’s not clear there even is such a thing)?

I’m not too worried about my dealer, but I was hopeful there would be a program as described in this thread to make it closer to X-Plan for all or TESLA.  ADMs could be bad publicity. If my dealer does one it may be enough to push me to a Model Y instead, or jump to the Bronco. The good thing for me is I don’t NEED the car, so I could wait too if need be. 

If a customer wants to change to a different Dealer, the reservation deposit is refunded, the customer loses their reservation and they start the process over in order to do the transaction with a different Dealer. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The Mach-E customer has to select a Dealer to take delivery from. Ford then pays the Dealer a commission similar to what's done with A/X/D Plan transactions. As such, I don't know if Ford will allow a Mach-E to be ordered at a rural Dealer and then drop shipped to another Dealer for delivery. 

Does A/Z/X plan apply to Mach-E?  If so, it’s relatively simple to get a X-plan PIN these days. At that point, the dealers attempting to make a larger profit would be shit out of luck.