• Custom Search

bbf2530

9/28/19 - New SYNC 3 upgrade available.

Hi all. For informational purposes: I have SYNC 3 version 18093 in my 2018 MKZ (just updated about a month ago), and as of today there is a new SYNC 3 upgrade available. 

I have no details yet as to what version it will upgrade to, since I have downloaded the files from the Lincoln Owners website but not installed it in my car yet. I will post back with details as soon as I install it.

For those interested, go to the Lincoln or Ford Owner website, sign in and check to see if a new SYNC update is available for your vehicle.

Good luck.

Hi gang. Okay, I installed the SYNC update. Update went relatively smoothly and my SYNC system is now Build 19205.

I would offer the same warning that I did with my previous SYNC update and the NAV maps update: You may get an early message that the update is finished when it is actually not. Leave the USB in for at least 10 minutes after the first "Update Complete" message, to be sure it actually is complete.

Having seen it happen before, I left the USB in when the first message popped up, and a few minutes later, SYNC rebooted and the update continued. So give it time and do not be in a rush.

Also, it took several restarts after the update to actually have my SYNC Build # show as updated from 18093 to 19205.

Good luck.

Hi gang. For those who have recently had issues trying to perform the last step of a SYNC 3 update (reporting the update to Lincoln/Ford): The "Report update to Lincoln/Ford" step of a SYNC 3 update is now working. It had not been reliably operative for about two months now but is working as of last night for me.

FYI...It took several hours for the site to update my information. Rechecking immediately showed it had not yet updated. I needed to follow the instructions to notify Lincoln of the update, then sign out of the Lincoln or Ford Owners site and sign back in a few hours later.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

I have tried with a USB and auto system update and my Sync will not update to 19205 from 18093 (need to double check this version).

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer and downloaded the update to a USB drive.  The first USB drive I tried said there was an error with the USB so I tried another.  It doesn't seem to do anything when I plug it in.  I am going on a longer drive tomorrow so I will try it again.

What changed from 18093 to 19205?

Updates to the SYNC 3 system are free, correct?

On 2/25/2020 at 1:46 AM, SaskFord said:

Updates to the SYNC 3 system are free, correct?

Hi SaskFord. Yes.

what does the update change/improve?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bnewt said:

what does the update change/improve?

Hi bnewt. Concerning the minor SYNC 3.0 updates we are discussing here: Ford/Lincoln provide little information as to what an upgrade actually consists of. So the short answer is we really don't know.

The longer answer: Official SYNC 3.0 updates available through the Ford and/or Lincoln Owner websites, (what this thread was originally referring to) generally address bug fixes and/or compatibility issues with new iOS and Droid operating systems. They are nothing earth shattering, and will usually be nothing involving the graphics or anything that you can see. Plus, that update may not even apply to your vehicle.

Additionally, the SYNC 3.0 update I referred to, back on 9/28/19 when starting this thread, is no longer even the latest SYNC 3.0 update and may not even apply to your vehicles. Another 3.0 update was released after it. 

Your best course of action in finding updates for your particular vehicle is to register and sign-in to the Ford or Lincoln owner website, then use the "Support" banner to access whether your particular model/model year has any applicable updates available.

All of that being said, major updates to the factory systems off the assembly line, like the coming SYNC 4, are updates to hardware and software, and are also an entirely different story.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530